I May Destroy You (Season 1 Discussion Thread)

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
Just finished, 7.5/10. The last episode I really didn't understand what she was getting at with the replay of her new revenge encounter with her rapist.
But overall it was good, ambitious and at least trying to say something about consent and friendship.
The one aspect I did not like and I'm starting not to like about a lot of content is how fictional shows are just loosely based on the creator's life. It's been beaten into the ground now. It's time to highlight regular blue/white collar folks instead of actors, writers, comedians etc.
How would the main character in this story cope if she was just a customer service rep and didn't have art to use as a coping mechanism? It would be more interesting/relatable IMO.

It would just continue to fester. Maybe she'd take it out on customers. Also if she was doing that job she wouldn't have nearly enough time to spend with Terry and other friends. Nah, that show would be trash.

Ahadi

Veteran
Daps
Michaela Coel gave an interview where she said she was sexually assaulted while making her previous show CHEWING GUM and that was the inspiration for I MAY DESTROY YOU.
Sexual assault is pretty much what the series is about.

:ohhh:

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
So I am late as fukk to watching this show because after I watched Baby Reindeer, this was one of the recommendations to watch that was like it.

I will put my interpretation of the ending in spoiler.

The encounters with the rapist was her fantasy, drug and beat his brains out or try to understand what caused him to rape people. But in the end it was just a fantasy and she didn't get her revenge.