I got an announcement. I'm leaving Chicago to move down south to Texas UPDATE: might be moving back

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
Good luck breh. Texas is def the move at this time. I considering Htown in a few years.

I hope u guys are right about all this. I'm already second guessing this decision and I am still a month away from moving. already told the original job I accepted out here that I'm not gonna be taking the job anymore as I am taking an opportunity to move out of state. maybe I can't handle change, but this is really freaking me out.

dem bath salts

To be reckoned with
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Broward
I hope u guys are right about all this. I'm already second guessing this decision and I am still a month away from moving. already told the original job I accepted out here that I'm not gonna be taking the job anymore as I am taking an opportunity to move out of state. maybe I can't handle change, but this is really freaking me out.
That's normal. This is a huge decision.
I think ur in a good spot. Dallas is a major city with a lot to offer. Not like its kansas. It'll be a culture shock at first but you'll get use to it.
Think about it this way. Nikkas be coming from the islands and africa, barely speaking english to the states and thrive. Surely an american breh making good money going to be alright.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
You'll be aight bro you got a good opportunity plus your fam will be there with you

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Sorry if this is a long read, but I gotta share this. I haven't been posting much on here lately because of what's been going on in my life the last 2 months or so.

Bare with me, I am really having a lot of anxiety about this, but here's what happened (yes, I know its a long read)

Back in november, my wife's job (she only started in July 2016) offered her a promotion to transfer to the dallas area. and if she didn't take the job, the alternative was she'd have to take a severance package and have no job. So we moved her down there in January of this year.

Therefore, I stayed up here with my kids since I worked at home and I didn't want to move them in the middle of the school year. Well that was going good for the first few months til early April, I got let go from my job. Initially I was pissed cuz this kinda blindsided me, but I literally told my wife and moms that I would find a superior job and get multiple job offers in the process.

And with me being in the job market, I decided to look for gigs in both the Chi and down in Dallas. So with that said, I focused my full 110% attention into finding a better job. I hadn't worked in an office for so long, I didn't even have a suit in my closet. but I was blessed with having a large safety net financially where I could survive for almost a year in case I didn't find anything.

So after doing countless phone interviews, quite a few in person interviews, and a few skype interviews, I ended up getting two job offers. one out here and one down in texas.

even though the job here offers more vacation time and less expensive benefits, the job down there is what I wanna do, will look better on my resume, plus it pays 25K more than what I was gonna get if I took the job here and 10K more than the last job I had working at home. plus I will pocket the additional 3.75% in illinois income taxes I won't have to pay. factoring the rental income I'm already getting from my rental property, I'll be just shy of six figures it looks like.

It's gonna be sad leaving the only place I have ever lived (outside of college), but my wife likes it there, and I am really tired of being up here without my spouse and having to handle these kids solo. I'm mostly upset to leave my parents and inlaws up here as well as my sister and my niece and nephew. I also hate having to move my kids to a new school. that sucks as well. but I think this is what's gonna be best for all of us in the end. :mjcry:

Breh I am a chicago kat too. Born and raised in that hoe. Trust you be down here in texas after a few years you wont think twice about Chicago.

shyt you get the nice sun light everyday. Rarely any snow, traffic but nothing like chicago, better fukking pay more jobs (trust you gonna get even more hits once you change your residency to texas), no state taxes and a lower cost of living. Man after awhile down here you aint gonna never want to come back.

I was just home in chicago this past weekend. Dad and mom asked again was I coming back. I messed around and told them what I make and they were like shiiiiit I wouldn't come back either.

Last edited:

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
That's normal. This is a huge decision.
I think ur in a good spot. Dallas is a major city with a lot to offer. Not like its kansas. It'll be a culture shock at first but you'll get use to it.
Think about it this way. Nikkas be coming from the islands and africa, barely speaking english to the states and thrive. Surely an american breh making good money going to be alright.

Exactly.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
It's a big change breh your moving halfway across the country to a city with no friends, no family nothing.

The great thing about life it doesn't have to be permanent ,Chicago will always be there breh, but you won't know how great Texas will be until you try and guess what you have your wife and kids with you

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
honestly man, I wouldn't sweat the move if I were you. It's definitely worth it to be able to experience something new, and if you don't like it, you can always move back to Chicago. The only thing I don't like about living out here is the occasional bout of crazy weather. Other than that, I can't complain.

A-Train

Express.
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Mann if my girl's industry was in Dallas or Houston i'd move in a heart beat. Congrats to you man