I feel like Sony making 10 live service games is another nail in the coffin for the industry.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
I mean, people can and should play whatever they enjoy.

Yall know Street Fighter and Diablo are also Live service games, right?
giphy.webp

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Did you think this was all for blue grass roots, shyts n giggles. It's ALWAYS been about money, lol.

Its also no surprise companies are chasing the things that make the most money. Meanwhile, Gamers demand more single player games and talk about how they don’t want to pay full price for them, while tommy got his moms credit card racking up mortgage payments in fortnite

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
People like playing games with their friends.:manny:

Gaming has always been a social activity.

The biggest thing I remember about classic games like Pac-Man or even back as far as like space invaders, was that you were trying to get a better score than the guy you were gonna pass the sticks too.

Even when we made it to games like Mario bros, it was still kinda about passing the sticks and seeing if your little brothers Luigi could outdoo you.

Going all the way up to GTA3 what did we do??? Sit around with a group of friends and see how much fukkery we could commit before dying and passing the sticks.

It’s only been kinda recently that purely single player games have taken the spotlight. And that’s just cause the people that chose to talk about it online have gravitated to those games.

In reality it’s always been the multiplayer games getting all the attention from the majority of people playing games.

GAAS is just the natural progression of what gaming has always been, evolved with modern technology.

Sony would be silly to continually ignore that market :manny:
There's a difference between ignoring the market and saying in the next 2.5 years we're launching like 12 games in the category.

People are hopeful Sony doesn't go all in on this but I remember a time when Sony made games like Sly Cooper, Jak and Daxter, and other mascot games. Now the only one left is Ratchet and Clank. As more people start buying into these live service games Sony will gravitate towards that just like they gravitated towards making those single player third person cinematic action games into the PS3 and PS4 era.

The fact that they're talking them up so much is what's so disturbing. It's shareholder pandering and letting what they shareholders want (games that focus on monetization most) dictate direction over what the fans like.

It's what happened to GTA. Why bother making another story based DLC when online expansion packs print money? Plans get abandoned and you spend a decade plus with GTA V existing as a platform for it's live service aspects. From GTA IV to V was about 5 years or a normal development cycle. GTA V has existed across 3 console generations as the only mainline title. In that decade GTA VI still hasn't been finished.

These live service games transform companies.

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
All I wanted was another multiplayer FPS and a Socom remake. If it's true that 10 live service games is in the makings, then Sony is going way overboard. Who was asking for this?

Not only that, but they're looking to Bungie for advice when Bungie doesn't even have its original people and they haven't been good in years. Or should I ssy my tastes ain't similar to these gen z kids with adhd?

Most live service games I don't like. Never liked Fortnite and Destiny's. Rainbow 6 siege was great the year it came out, now its a bloated watered down casual fest.

As long as Sony continues with great single player games, im good for the time being. I just need Factions 2 & Killzone. But I can't help but wonder if it's all downhill from here.

The only multiplayer game I liked and played regularly besides fighting games was Socom. Those Live games are just for dummies that want to spend money eternally on a video game.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
People are hopeful Sony doesn't go all in on this but I remember a time when Sony made games like Sly Cooper, Jak and Daxter, and other mascot games. Now the only one left is Ratchet and Clank. As more people start buying into these live service games Sony will gravitate towards that just like they gravitated towards making those single player third person cinematic action games into the PS3 and PS4 era.

I remember a time when sony made Killzone, MAG, Resistance, SOCOM, Warhawk, MotorStorm, Driveclub, etc.

And they don’t make those anymore either. They’ve made more platformers this generation than multiplayer titles, platformers that no one buys. Sackboy, Ratchet, Astro, etc

You sit here and moan about sony targeting live service but also cry about sony needing a gamepass so you don’t have to buy those games.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Ehhh..that's only about 1/2 true and the bolded being false. It's always catered to both. There's always been a plethora of multi-player games AND single player games. You may have been passing the stick in those SP games that still kinda catered to a group audience, but there were also loads of games that were much more about the individual experience as well.
The balance has always been more people gaming socially than alone.

Hell, for decades, you couldn't even convince people outside of gaming that it even had social elements to it.
The fukk you get this idea from:dahell:

99% of arcade cabinets have a space for at least two players. Every single console to release has had a space for two controllers to join up.

It's only now that it's so mainstream that that's no longer the misnomer about it. But even still, there's heavy individual focus as well.
It’s always been pretty much just RPGs where you play alone, and even those usualy have some type of party elements. It’s the uncharted generation that ushered in this concentration on single player cinematic experience.

But even through that, the most popular games were those with people playing with their friends.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
There's a difference between ignoring the market and saying in the next 2.5 years we're launching like 12 games in the category.

The fact that they're talking them up so much is what's so disturbing. It's shareholder pandering and letting what they shareholders want (games that focus on monetization most) dictate direction over what the fans like.

It's what happened to GTA. Why bother making another story based DLC when online expansion packs print money? Plans get abandoned and you spend a decade plus with GTA V existing as a platform for it's live service aspects. From GTA IV to V was about 5 years or a normal development cycle. GTA V has existed across 3 console generations as the only mainline title. In that decade GTA VI still hasn't been finished.

They said investment will be 60/40 multiplayer to single player.

I think that’s a reasonable strategy for a games publisher trying to be successful into the future. Even a larger investment than most would make in single player games :manny:

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I remember a time when sony made Killzone, MAG, Resistance, SOCOM, Warhawk, MotorStorm, Driveclub, etc.

And they don’t make those anymore either. They’ve made more platformers this generation than multiplayer titles, platformers that no one buys. Sackboy, Ratchet, Astro, etc

You sit here and moan about sony targeting live service but also cry about sony needing a gamepass so you don’t have to buy those games.

Right. The other side of that coin is that the devs often are the ones choosing what game/direction that they're making. Not all devs want to make the same title to infinity.

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
The balance has always been more people gaming socially than alone.

I don't think so, Tim.
The fukk you get this idea from:dahell:

99% of arcade cabinets have a space for at least two players. Every single console to release has had a space for two controllers to join up.

It’s always been pretty much just RPGs where you play alone, and even those usualy have some type of party elements. It’s the uncharted generation that ushered in this concentration on single player cinematic experience.

From people touching grass. Also, even on here (and many gaming forums/net spaces, for years, that's been a talking point/butt of jokes about the average gamer being some isolated, fat nerd in the basement some where, fool.

RPGs, metriodvanias, platformers, with even the most infamous one of them being Mario, moved away from 2-player to single player iterations for a while (technically, he hopped back n forth between the two) strategy games, novel/story focused games, puzzle games, adventure games, character action games, etc. There's always been a constant balance of single player games before, during and after "Uncharted" (you just love to give undue credit to "sony movie games", doncha:aicmon:). Hell, even MP dominant genres like shooters have had definitive, SP-ONLY games out. How many MP only games even exist? The rare ones that drop, get shat on for being so.

And arcades have been DEAD dead for how many decades now?
But even through that, the most popular games were those with people playing with their friends.

And the most defining games ever have mostly been single player games. Both can have their shine, breh.

Last edited:

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
They said investment will be 60/40 multiplayer to single player.

I think that’s a reasonable strategy for a games publisher trying to be successful into the future. Even a larger investment than most would make in single player games :manny:
I'm pretty sure they showed a chart of it being more like 50/50 between the two. Also, simple math will tell you that if they say that 10 of their games will be GAAS and they have roughly 22-23 studios currently working, then it's unlikely that that the split would be 60/40.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I also remember when people got tired of Sly Cooper, Jak and Daxter, Spyro, Ratchet and Clank, and other mascot games/platformers because the market had had enough of them.

I also remember not too long ago when a specific group of people were trying to shyt on Sony for releasing another Ratchet and Clank game in 2021, even though it was fun. I ALSO remember all of like, a week ago, when a lot of those same people were pointing and laughing at Spider-Man 2 l, saying it was overly repetitive and generic.

Although I see what you're getting at with GTA, that's its own separate situation. GTA Online legit made GTA V a success that neither Take Two or Rockstar could have predicted. And considering that Rockstar seems incapable of making games that take less than eight years and a quarter billion to develop, it makes sense that both sides basically look at it as straight up funding GTA 6 development in real time. They legit took single player DLC and repurposed it for GTA Online because it became very apparent that that was where the players were.

Either way, this probably isn't the doom and gloom signal it seems like you think it is. The sky can't ALWAYS be falling, breh.