I don’t get the hype for Mad Men

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I’m on S1 episode 11 and so far this feels like a soap opera in the vein of Dallas, but I’ve been hearing it’s on the level of elite TV shows like Breaking bad.

The only compelling part of the show so far that don’t make it feel like a soap opera are the flashbacks of when he was a kid.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I won't say the cliche bullshyt of watch 4 seasons and you'll love it....the first 4 are a little slow. a lot of great moments. but slow. and a show that hadn't quite found it's exact lane. doesn't know whether it's stylish 50's send up or existential The Swimmer critique.

but I started on the 5th season, when it aired in 2012, and went backwards. The 5th starts to get way more experimental, funnier, sexier, it's not a different show, but it is one of those that gets better each season.

There's def. some weak scenes with him and his wife in the suburbs.

Ghostface Trillah

God-level poster
Daps
Reppin
Mt. Olympus
On the surface it's really just a show on how reckless white people were in the 60's, how dysfunctional and broken Don Draper is, and how big of a deal advertising agencies were in the transition from radio to magazines and TV.

Underneath all that is well written great dialogue driven scenes with great acting. It's not for everyone though.

JLaw

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's slow but the character development is worth it.

It gets a lot more entertaining episode-to-episode around season 3.

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Made it to season 3. Glad I stuck it out. The character development is top notch. I’m also getting a kick at the juxtaposition between current times and the 50s/60s. Pregnant women drinking and smoking, casual sexism, mistreatment of children and of course the unrepentant accepted racism.

This is really the society that cac conservatives still long to return.

One of the funniest scenes was when one of the neighbors slapped another neighbors little kid for running around the house and the dad made the kid apologize to the neighbor. People were savages. :heh:

rabbid

Superstar
Daps
Season 3 has my personal favorite season finale and episode. Widely agreed to be the best episode of the series (Shut the Door. Have a Seat) although I could see it when people say the show constantly outdoes itself until the very end. Excellent show, this and Breaking Bad kicked off a new age of classic television shows

Roger king

Superstar
Daps
I strongly disagree its a top tier series, it gets better the longer it goes on, draper, peggy , along with the sexy secretaries, the series is solid top tier