Essential I Be Cooking!: Post a Pic of What You're Cooking Thread

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
@Caca-faat

Just curious, do you use different types of salt or just table salt?

I got these big motorized salt and pepper grinders that's been in a box for years that I never used.

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876
@Caca-faat

I got these big motorized salt and pepper grinders that's been in a box for years that I never used.
Yes I do,

I use flaked sea salt at the end of a dish at the table if I wanna add salt to finish a dish - the structure of the salt allows for the salt to dissolve quickly on your palate without having that iodised metallic taste. Try smoked sea salt it’s delicious.

I use rock salt when I cook- the granules are big and will dissolve with heat.

I use table salt when I brine meat or if I’m gonna marinate with salt. The granules are small and penetrate quickly.

I also use alternative salts like maggi liquid seasoning
Soy sauce
MSG

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Yes I do,

I use flaked sea salt at the end of a dish at the table if I wanna add salt to finish a dish - the structure of the salt allows for the salt to dissolve quickly on your palate without having that iodised metallic taste. Try smoked sea salt it’s delicious.

I use rock salt when I cook- the granules are big and will dissolve with heat.

I use table salt when I brine meat or if I’m gonna marinate with salt. The granules are small and penetrate quickly.

I also use alternative salts like maggi liquid seasoning
Soy sauce
MSG
I think I'll get some pink rock salt and put in the grinder and pick up some flaked salt to finish dishes. Never bought flaked salt before.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
so last week, the local grocery store had lobster tails on sale for $4 a piece :ohlawd:

I bought 12. here's the first two. I made butter with the ingredients shown.

4laotAl.jpg

KdI7c2F.jpg

FYI, lobster tails made in the oven broiler. took around 5-7 minutes actually.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
@Caca-faat

I use regular pepper, but I almost ALWAYS use kosher salt for cooking cuz it's easier to measure by hand when I'm seasoning food. u cannot "salt bae" ur food with table salt. it's too thin and u cannot see it on your food, which means u can use too much very easily.

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876
I think I'll get some pink rock salt and put in the grinder and pick up some flaked salt to finish dishes. Never bought flaked salt before.
TBH the salts I mentioned are not for grinding, grinding makes it very easy to over salt. You want to be able to see the amount to measure accurately. Any salt I mentioned is to be eaten in the form they come in, grinding defeats the purpose. TBH a grinder is just a fancy unnecessary tool.

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876
@Skooby Save the salt grinding for at the table. Now Grinding pepper,YES. Fresh ground pepper is waaayyy better than buying powdered black pepper. Any powder that comes from a whole seed you’re better off grinding yourself. After a while the oils in the powder becomes rancid and becomes useless much quicker, the natural form locks the oils in till you’re ready to use it for much longer saving you money in the long term as you may not use these items all the time. Anything that comes in whole form are usually woody spices that are very warming :

Clove
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
Black Peppercorns
Cardamom
All Spice
White peppercorns
Pink peppercorns
Cumin
Star Anise

The above are SPICES not to be confused with “spicy”. When using spices to get the BEST out of them,warm (toast) them in a dry pan for a minute or so on medium heat, swirling it around to prevent burning. This process warms up the oils in the spice and makes it a lot stronger allowing you to use a lot less. After toasting you can grind in a spice/coffee grinder for a fine powder or pestle and mortar if you want it more coarse. When you smell the smell that comes off the spice grinder when you put in a combination of spices is heavenly.

I hope this helps.

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

damned mine eyes, DAMNED mine eyes!!
Daps
I got salmon in the fridge I wanna cook tonight. Yall got any simple but good recipes I could try? :jbhmm:

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

damned mine eyes, DAMNED mine eyes!!
Daps
Salmon roasted in the oven, with some roasted veg - broccoli, bell peppers, tomatoes red onions and some couscous if you got it.
I ended up trying this one

Its currently cooking in the oven. Gonna pair it with mashed potato mixed with milk and sprinkle of parsley.

You think thats gonna work :lupe:?