Essential I Be Cooking!: Post a Pic of What You're Cooking Thread

Daps
tumblr_ob6zul11s71rl83wco1_500.jpg

wood - fired rotisserie chicken w/caper berries, coal-roasted lemon, pistachio charmoula..

tumblr_ob6z1kl5H71rl83wco1_500.jpg

bruschetta w/chimichurri, diced tomatoes & baked lemon parmesan crisps..

:salute:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Rice is the easiest thing to cook. I only cook basmati however, but every rice is different. However much rice your cooking u only need a finger digits worth of water covering the rice. So if your cooking 5 cups of rice or 5 pounds of rice the principle is more or less the same. (There will always be more water than there appears to be because the water is between the grains of rice as well as on top; picture pebbles in a glass jar.) You will also need A tsp or so of salt and some butter. This is all dependent on how much rice you are cooking.
1. Always boil your water in the kettle before hand.
2. Always wash your rice till the water runs clear. I wash rice in a sieve because its easier.
3. Tranfer rice into pot. Cover with hot water, salt and butter.
4. I turn the stove on the lowest setting if using gas. Or gas mark one or two on a ceramic hob. Seal with foil and leave it for 20 mins undisturbed. If you stir the rice while it is cooking you will bind the starch and end up with gloop.
5. After 20 mins you can smell the rice is cooked. The rice no longer has that glassy look to it. You may need a pinch more water if its still a little tough. You can stir and taste at this point.
6. ALWAYS stir rice with a fork never with a spoon. A spoon causes the starches in the rice to bind together and your rice will appear gloopy and sticky.
7. You can ALWAYS ADD WATER but you cant remove it. If the rice is too sticky its too later. But if its too dry you can add more water. Once again if you have too much water and stir too much you will end up with slop.

Follow these steps and your rice will be perfect every time.
:yeshrug: I use 2 cups of water for every cup of rice. So if I'm cooking 2 cups of rice, I use 4 cups of water. If I'm cooking 1.5 cups of rice, I use 3 cups of water.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
:yeshrug: I use 2 cups of water for every cup of rice. So if I'm cooking 2 cups of rice, I use 4 cups of water. If I'm cooking 1.5 cups of rice, I use 3 cups of water.
Do you cook your rice on high then cover and turn it down afterwards?

I usually cook rice with a Rice Cooker. But the few times I've cooked it on the stove top, I just cooked it on medium until it waa done.

Chef

All Star
Daps
I ended up buying a rice cooker.:manny: I think I found my problem which was I didn't have a tight fitting lid. Now I'm trying to make perfect stock for risotto and rice. It comes all cloudy no matter how much I spoon the fat. :scust:

porque

Boricua Guerrero
Daps
Reppin
Philly #ByrdGang #TPC
no matter what i try i can never get this right they never get brown or I burn them :upsetfavre:

Could be the heat, try medium high

Or the oil used, just use vegetable, canola or better yet peanut

Don't fry out of fridge let it warm to room temperature before frying

Don't use napkins to absorb the oil it steams and makes for soggy skin

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Could be the heat, try medium high

Or the oil used, just use vegetable, canola or better yet peanut

Don't fry out of fridge let it warm to room temperature before frying

Don't use napkins to absorb the oil it steams and makes for soggy skin
appreciate it