Essential I Be Cooking!: Post a Pic of What You're Cooking Thread

Daps
rice is actually really simple..

put a few tblspns of olive oil in the bottom of the pot..

clean/rinse your rice(no more than twice) while that simmers..

add rice, and seasoning while incorporating in into your oil..

add water(2 cups, per cup of rice).. turn up to mid-high, and cook until you can barely see it bubbling.. 3-4min ..

turn down to simmer, cover and let cook 16-18 minutes.. DO NOT add water.. DO NOT stir.. it'll ruin your final product..

may take you a few times, but you'll eventually get it.. good luck.. :salute:

porque

Boricua Guerrero
Daps
Reppin
Philly #ByrdGang #TPC

add water(2 cups, per cup of rice).. turn up to mid-high, and cook until you can barely see it bubbling.. 3-4min ..

turn down to simmer, cover and let cook 16-18 minutes.. DO NOT add water.. DO NOT stir.. it'll ruin your final product..

I like to "fry" the rice over butter or olive oil while heating the water on a different pot/kettle

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Rice is literally my least favorite carb...good bread > potatoes, barley/farro/spelt, quinoa, cous cous, asian noodles, grits/polenta >> pasta >>>>>>>>> rice...thus my struggles with it lol. I can make some mean Spanish rice tho

Amy Traphouse

Supporter
Daps
1 part rice
2 parts water
1tsp of butter

Simmer for about 15min on medium low heat.

Thats how I learned how to cook rice.

I ate it so much as a kid that I only cook it a few times a year now.

porque

Boricua Guerrero
Daps
Reppin
Philly #ByrdGang #TPC
1 part rice
2 parts water
1tsp of butter

Simmer for about 15min on medium low heat.

Thats how I learned how to cook rice.

I ate it so much as a kid that I only cook it a few times a year now.

cut some cilantro, add fresh lemon juice to it and put it over the rice when you turn off the heat

LwFg0qL.png

No thoughts, I havent used one. Surely you end up with a lot of rice that you don't use. Ive heard of people cooking rice and peas in it, so anything is possible.

you can make a small amount with a rice cooker, you can also use it as a vegetable steamer

only thing I dont like is the texture of the rice not sure how it is around but we Caribbean Latinos like our rice a little hard and no soggy

Rice cooker give you a kinda mushy rice

Chef

All Star
Daps
Lol, funny thing is I fukk up rice too. I grew up cooking it in the microwave, tried the stovetop a few times :huhldup:

I'm better at it, but I still mostly just use my microwave cooker. A small rice cooker doesn't cost much either.

I want to get it right on the stovetop before I fill the house up with more kitchen appliances. :beli: I'm just trying to nail the technique down of getting firm, Individual grains and not the blown up, goopey grains. :scusthov:

Rice is the easiest thing to cook. I only cook basmati however, but every rice is different. However much rice your cooking u only need a finger digits worth of water covering the rice. So if your cooking 5 cups of rice or 5 pounds of rice the principle is more or less the same. (There will always be more water than there appears to be because the water is between the grains of rice as well as on top; picture pebbles in a glass jar.) You will also need A tsp or so of salt and some butter. This is all dependent on how much rice you are cooking.
1. Always boil your water in the kettle before hand.
2. Always wash your rice till the water runs clear. I wash rice in a sieve because its easier.
3. Tranfer rice into pot. Cover with hot water, salt and butter.
4. I turn the stove on the lowest setting if using gas. Or gas mark one or two on a ceramic hob. Seal with foil and leave it for 20 mins undisturbed. If you stir the rice while it is cooking you will bind the starch and end up with gloop.
5. After 20 mins you can smell the rice is cooked. The rice no longer has that glassy look to it. You may need a pinch more water if its still a little tough. You can stir and taste at this point.
6. ALWAYS stir rice with a fork never with a spoon. A spoon causes the starches in the rice to bind together and your rice will appear gloopy and sticky.
7. You can ALWAYS ADD WATER but you cant remove it. If the rice is too sticky its too later. But if its too dry you can add more water. Once again if you have too much water and stir too much you will end up with slop.

Follow these steps and your rice will be perfect every time.

I swear I'll take me five minutes to wash one cup of brown rice before it runs clear. :heh:

Do I need I need to worry about letting out steam when cooking with the foil?

Do I let the rice dry a little bit before I sauté it or just dump it in after the rinse? What type of seasonings do you(anyone else can chime in) use to switch it up?

Daps
@Negressive yes.. you can put it in after you rinse.. you're basically cleaning the dirt frim the rice, so it doesn't get cloudy in the water..

as for seasoning, it's whatever you prefer.. ifyyou want yellow rice- add tumeric.. saffron isn't bad, if you're indecisive..

get creative.. that's what cooking about.. :salute:

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876
I want to get it right on the stovetop before I fill the house up with more kitchen appliances. :beli: I'm just trying to nail the technique down of getting firm, Individual grains and not the blown up, goopey grains. :scusthov:

I swear I'll take me five minutes to wash one cup of brown rice before it runs clear. :heh:

Do I need I need to worry about letting out steam when cooking with the foil?
If you leave it for 20 mins it will be cooked. So whatever steam is let out it wont take long to get back to cooking the grains that are still not cooked through. You will have perfect fluffy grains every time.

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
Any tips on cooking rice? I always fukk it up and I'm being a cheap boy for the summer. :upsetfavre:

Rice?

1. Rinse the baby powder off it in a strainer with warm water. Just run it under the faucet and swish it around with your hand for a minute. Til the water ain't cloudy.

2. 1 part rice to 1 1/2 parts water. 1 cup rice, then 1 1/2 cup water.

3. throw some salt in your water. Hell, you wanna get fancy, throw a season pack from some chicken ramen noodles and a teaspoon of cooking sherry in there. Hell, it's the reason I buy ramen noodles at all. :heh: It's perfect if you're gonna use leftover rice for frying the next day. I fry a lot of rice.

4. Put it on the stove and turn it on high heat with the lid off. As soon as your water starts to boil, put the lid on it and turn your heat down low. loooow. And don't take the lid off to check the rice. you won't need to check it.

5. Let it cook for about 12 minutes, then let it sit for about 3 before you take the lid off.

Your rice will be PERFECT. EVERY. TIME.

porque

Boricua Guerrero
Daps
Reppin
Philly #ByrdGang #TPC
Rice?

1. Rinse the baby powder off it in a strainer with warm water. Just run it under the faucet and swish it around with your hand for a minute. Til the water ain't cloudy.

2. 1 part rice to 1 1/2 parts water. 1 cup rice, then 1 1/2 cup water.

3. throw some salt in your water. Hell, you wanna get fancy, throw a season pack from some chicken ramen noodles and a teaspoon of cooking sherry in there. Hell, it's the reason I buy ramen noodles at all. :heh: It's perfect if you're gonna use leftover rice for frying the next day. I fry a lot of rice.

4. Put it on the stove and turn it on high heat with the lid off. As soon as your water starts to boil, put the lid on it and turn your heat down low. loooow. And don't take the lid off to check the rice. you won't need to check it.

5. Let it cook for about 12 minutes, then let it sit for about 3 before you take the lid off.

Your rice will be PERFECT. EVERY. TIME.

I never wash rice

I would use 1 and 3/4 for 1 cup of rice

I add salt and oil to the water

if I am making it quickly I cook lid off till the water is even with the rice, then lid on low heat for 20 minutes, then turn heat off stir rice then let sit for 5 minutes

If im adding anything to it I do so right before those 5 minutes

but usually I cook it longer then stir the rice every 15 minutes so I get the burnt rice at the bottom