I admit, I was wrong about the Xbox Series S.

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
“Microsoft now offering developers more flexibility on how games ship on the Xbox Series X|S platform, hopefully, issues like the one we saw with Baldur's Gate 3 over the summer will be an exception.”

But there is no parity clause…

:sas2:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Why you keep trying to give me WOAT status breh.

Is this article incorrect somehow?
giphy.gif

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
So as it turns out, the Xbox series S is not only a value to consumers its a value to all gamers.

A few of us here have said this would be the case and now you are starting to hear about the after effects.

@MeachTheMonster and @Pressure are two other folks who have direct or indirectly mentioned theae kind of affects.

No it’s not a value to all gamers. The fact that it gets consistently outsold by PS5 skus and the Switch are a testament to the fact that the gaming community as a whole could do without it. They used the honeypot of a much lower price and it still wasn’t enough to buy them the customers to outsell much more expensive devices and much weaker devices.

The only thing it does is make Xbox look a little better because without its sales they’d likely be in a far more distant 3rd place. That’s more an incitement on their studios output than any real value because the PS5 proves more people would willingly pay a higher price for actual perceived value.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
We should have known this thing was DOA when the series x and ps5 was non-existent for two years due to teh chip shortage and these things still weren’t selling.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Also to answer the question the author of that article posed if I only had $300 I’d be looking at used digital PS5s over a Series S. It might cost a bit north of $300 but no way is hell would a Series S be my only console.

On Facebook Marketplace you can easily get a digital PS5 for close to $300.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
No it’s not a value to all gamers. The fact that it gets consistently outsold by PS5 skus and the Switch are a testament to the fact that the gaming community as a whole could do without it. They used the honeypot of a much lower price and it still wasn’t enough to buy them the customers to outsell much more expensive devices and much weaker devices.

The only thing it does is make Xbox look a little better because without its sales they’d likely be in a far more distant 3rd place. That’s more an incitement on their studios output than any real value because the PS5 proves more people would willingly pay a higher price for actual perceived value.
It is a value to all gamers when every platform reaps the benefit of the optimization that goes into the series S.

It's also a value to those who want the most gaming bang for their buck.

It's really that simple.

As far as sales and value go, it's pretty clear that value straight up doesn't matter when a brand gets popular enough.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
It is a value to all gamers when every platform reaps the benefit of the optimization that goes into the series S.

It's also a value to those who want the most gaming bang for their buck.

It's really that simple.

As far as sales and value go, it's pretty clear that value straight up doesn't matter when a brand gets popular enough.
The reality is the Series S is a half measure made available at a dirt cheap price. Xbox stans shouldn't be point at a device that caused them to lose release parity on the PS5 with a GOTY candidate as a win.

Microsoft thought they could make this cheap console and have it do numbers. The real lesson learned is people will pay more for something they perceive value in. Far inferior hardware on an almost 7 year old Nintendo console can outsell it and the PS5 that's $100-$200 more can outsell it. They should have been focused on correcting their software output not putting out a weak SKU that fragments their customer base.