Hurricane Irma: now a tropical storm, moving into Georgia today

delta

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Really hope that shyt don't hit Miami, I might have to drive down there to bring my parents up here in ATL.

no doubt. im in hialeah and im seriously thinking about evacating, probably to tampa or some shyt on the other coast

this was a flash flood just last month.... it wasn't even 5 inches

:snoop:storm got me shook
IMG_3659.0.jpg

006%20BEACH%20FLOODING%20CPJ

FLOOD0608+WALK+CTJ

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
no doubt. im in hialeah and im seriously thinking about evacating, probably to tampa or some shyt on the other coast

Florida has had anything major in 12 years, looks like they may not be lucky this time around.

• Dap
Reactions: Meh

delta

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
crazy article about direct hit on Miami ... we bout to turn into Atlantis

The Next Houston

The last time a major hurricane struck Miami directly, in 1926, it left almost 400 people dead, making it one of the 10 deadliest hurricanes on the record books in the United States. Yet that storm ravaged a sleepy, relatively small resort town of just 100,000. Today, the Miami metropolitan area has more than 6 million residents.

The scariest scenario is Miami. While the city is practically synonymous with storms—just ask the University of Miami—it has escaped a direct hit for 91 years, and with it the massive storm surge that might deal irreparable damage.

Any comparison with the 1926 cyclone, a Category 4 storm still known as the Great Miami Hurricane, is only somewhat useful. The growth of the city since then doesn’t just put more people in the path of the storm—it also means that the area presents a greater risk of flooding. As Houston has demonstrated, the more built environment a city has, and especially water-impervious structures like pavement, the less water it can absorb. It’s not just that the city has grown and created more pavement; it’s that just as Houston’s expansion has taken over prairies with remarkable capacity to take in water, Miami’s growth has colonized parts of the Everglades, another water-absorbing system.

And as if that weren’t bad enough, the area is already grappling with regular (not to say normal) floods caused by rising sea levels. Part of Miami and its surrounding cities are commonly inundated by high tides.

The Miami area has seen plenty of bad hurricanes since 1926—especially Andrew in 1992, which caused $26.5 billion in damage. But the National Hurricane Center concluded that Andrew did much less damage that it might have if it had been bigger or struck more directly: “Andrew was a compact system. A little larger system, or one making landfall just a few nautical miles further to the north, would have been catastrophic for heavily populated, highly commercialized, and no less vulnerable areas to the north.”

There are different estimates about what a storm equivalent to the Great Miami Hurricane in power and location would do today, but all of them are horrific. An estimate done by the state of Florida came up with a figure of $120 to $130 billion. A 2011 National Hurricane Center study concluded it would be more like $165 billion, the costliest ever. CoreLogic, a real-estate analytics company, calculated in 2014 that reconstruction value of just the homes in the surge zone would be $103 billion.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
crazy article about direct hit on Miami ... we bout to turn into Atlantis

The Next Houston

The last time a major hurricane struck Miami directly, in 1926, it left almost 400 people dead, making it one of the 10 deadliest hurricanes on the record books in the United States. Yet that storm ravaged a sleepy, relatively small resort town of just 100,000. Today, the Miami metropolitan area has more than 6 million residents.

The scariest scenario is Miami. While the city is practically synonymous with storms—just ask the University of Miami—it has escaped a direct hit for 91 years, and with it the massive storm surge that might deal irreparable damage.

Any comparison with the 1926 cyclone, a Category 4 storm still known as the Great Miami Hurricane, is only somewhat useful. The growth of the city since then doesn’t just put more people in the path of the storm—it also means that the area presents a greater risk of flooding. As Houston has demonstrated, the more built environment a city has, and especially water-impervious structures like pavement, the less water it can absorb. It’s not just that the city has grown and created more pavement; it’s that just as Houston’s expansion has taken over prairies with remarkable capacity to take in water, Miami’s growth has colonized parts of the Everglades, another water-absorbing system.

And as if that weren’t bad enough, the area is already grappling with regular (not to say normal) floods caused by rising sea levels. Part of Miami and its surrounding cities are commonly inundated by high tides.

The Miami area has seen plenty of bad hurricanes since 1926—especially Andrew in 1992, which caused $26.5 billion in damage. But the National Hurricane Center concluded that Andrew did much less damage that it might have if it had been bigger or struck more directly: “Andrew was a compact system. A little larger system, or one making landfall just a few nautical miles further to the north, would have been catastrophic for heavily populated, highly commercialized, and no less vulnerable areas to the north.”

There are different estimates about what a storm equivalent to the Great Miami Hurricane in power and location would do today, but all of them are horrific. An estimate done by the state of Florida came up with a figure of $120 to $130 billion. A 2011 National Hurricane Center study concluded it would be more like $165 billion, the costliest ever. CoreLogic, a real-estate analytics company, calculated in 2014 that reconstruction value of just the homes in the surge zone would be $103 billion.
Get out breh.
Nothing is worth putting your life at risk.

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth

:snoop:storm got me shook
IMG_3659.0.jpg

006%20BEACH%20FLOODING%20CPJ

FLOOD0608+WALK+CTJ
Yeah my boys showed me that shyt. Luckily they had trucks

But honestly, thats normal in miami. Aint nobody even talking about this shyt down there :mjlol:

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
why does it flood like that in US cities.. Im from the caribbean we have hurricanes like every year but it's never as bad as you guys even though y'all don't get direct hits :jbhmm:

And how do y'all in the USA die from hurricanes :patrice: TF y'all be doing :what:

Last edited:
  • Dap
Reactions: Guv

Hawaiian Punch

umop-apisdn
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The I in Team
why does it flood like that in US cities.. Im from the caribbean we have hurricanes like every year but it's never as bad as you guys even though y'all don't get direct hits :jbhmm:

And how do y'all in the USA from hurricanes :patrice: TF y'all be doing :what:

Because we overdeveloped the land. Wetlands and prairies naturally absorb all the excess water. Since we overdeveloped everything and have pavement everywhere the water has nowhere to go. As much as we try to live against nature it always wins in the end.

Cabbage Patch

The Media scene in V is for Vendetta is the clue
Daps
Reppin
The Last Frontier
you aint gon like the new projections... although it is not as accurate as other radars . i'd buy some shyt this week asap before n1ggaz start buyin everything out
LnNtW3C.gif

the big number above the L is bad news...
qWIZcpB.png
Category 6.

I used to wave off that kind of talk as Weather Channel hyperbole, but then Katrina happened.

I hope Irma is a bust.

Killah Ray

Carolina hail to thee....
Daps
Is this shyt finna hit NC or not? I don't watch the news..I get all my info from the coli. Should I go buy some shyt today? We ain't got no bottle water in the house.

As a breh on the NC border, I went ahead and stocked up and made sure my insurance was right this morning....

No use in chancing shyt bruh...besides it's not like water goes bad either way :yeshrug: