How yall feel about Ta-Nehisi Coates ?

Daps
He idolizes France and thinks America can be reformed. His best ideas are rehashes of Baldwin and Dubois though he does not hide that but White liberals love him because he is not radical in ideology nor global in perspective.

BS

He's never alluded to any kind of belief that America can be reformed. On the contrary he's been quite adamant in his stance that America will always be plagued by white supremacy.

The fact that he's even willing to support reparations is radical in itself. A lot of idiot black leftist would never do so publicly, out of fear that the issue is "divisive."

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
BS

He's never alluded to any kind of belief that America can be reformed. On the contrary he's been quite adamant in his stance that America will always be plagued by white supremacy.

The fact that he's even willing to support reparations is radical in itself. A lot of idiot black leftist would never do so publicly, out of fear that the issue is "divisive."

lol

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
BS

Very true. Coates is very pessimistic about America's future. He thinks white supremacy is here to stay - forever.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Thats not true at all. When I have the time, I'll sift through a few of his Twitter threads where he argues that while White supremacy isn't going anywhere in the near future that we must keep fighting it in America no matter the length of time because he has hope it can be eradicated/reformed.

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
Thats not true at all. When I have the time, I'll sift through a few of his Twitter threads where he argues that while White supremacy isn't going anywhere in the near future that we must keep fighting it in America no matter the length of time because he has hope it can be eradicated/reformed.

Please share those posts. I've read pessimistic articles like this one:
Ta-Nehisi Takes Questions on Race Relations

In this note, a reader asks him why he doesn't use his position to forge alliances which would get past his belief that there will never be true equality. He says, his job as a writer is to speak on truths.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
His biggest strength is that he's well versed in American history, and not afraid to use that knowledge to dispel racist myths about African Americans. Not afraid to call racism racism. Not afraid to take white liberals to task either. We desperately need more intellectuals like him.
Yet, coli nikkas follow Tariq Nasheed religiously. You nikkas hang on every word he says...A fukking game guru. That's what's laughable.
:heh: at that 1st post. How is that any different from Tariq Nasheed? The biggest strengths you listed about Coates in that 1st post, can all be said about Tariq too.

Daps
:heh: at that 1st post. How is that any different from Tariq Nasheed? The biggest strengths you listed about Coates in that 1st post, can all be said about Tariq too.

:deadmanny:

Tariq became a race man when his career as game guru/dating coach went to shyt.Lotta nikkas hop on some black people shyt when their pockets empty.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
:deadmanny:

Tariq became a race man when his career as game guru/dating coach went to shyt.Lotta nikkas hop on some black people shyt when their pockets empty.
:yeshrug: That doesn't disprove the point I made. It just sounds like a deflection.

Daps
Reppin
Oakland
His biggest strength is that he's well versed in American history, and not afraid to use that knowledge to dispel racist myths about African Americans. Not afraid to call racism racism. Not afraid to take white liberals to task either. We desperately need more intellectuals like him.

If he's so brave why did he go out like a bytch when he interviewed obama? :smugtariq:
He was such a p*ssy, Obama made the reparations arguments FOR HIM :snoop:
It actually read like he was a stuttering little bytch :scust:

Karb

Veteran
Daps
Read "Between the world and me" for the first time like a month ago. His use of emotive language captures the level of hopelessness and despair felt by many black people in America like no other author I've come across. His description of life in the inner city, his experiences at Howard university, the challenges of raising a black son in America and the death of his friend, Prince, were very captivating. Where he kinda lost me was when he got into the typical liberal tropes of "acceptance" like when he realized that this girl, whom he had crush on, was involved in an "open" relationship where both partners were bisexuals. He mentions this to state that by coming to Howard, his world expanded and he found out that there were other ways to love someone:mjlol:

Also, the first country he and his wife visited after they got their passports was France, which IMO is very telling.

I do agree with @MansaMusa that he tends to present his somewhat hopeless outlook on the condition of black people as realistic or pragmatic, which might put you off if you're looking for solutions to the root causes behind said conditions.

I have to read it again to get a clearer picture of his ideas :yeshrug:

Overall it's a very good read, if you're reading it with the intention of understanding the full scope of the psychological and physical trauma that black people go through in America.