How yall feel about Ta-Nehisi Coates ?

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have the first trade of his Black Panther run, but I haven't read it yet. Still need to get through Christopher Priest's run.

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
I have the first trade of his Black Panther run, but I haven't read it yet.
I hate the pacing in his writing for the comic.

I legitimate am skipping issue knowing I'm not gonna miss much.

Marvel gives him too much power; he writes comics like novels. But, pacing is my only issue. The payoff maybe great.

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
I find him to be a good writer/researcher but his despair is off-putting. Surely, Afro-descendants in the US can undertake solutions which can at least mitigate our plight.

I do not find him arrogant. In a lot of interviews, he notes that he's a college dropout. Perhaps he interprets that event as a sign of personal failure, despite his success.
:ohhh: I didn't know he dropped out of Howard.

:manny: still a good writer.

Last edited:

Medio

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New York
he writes beautiful.
i've read between the world and me and my president was black.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Great writer and thinker. I think some of his prose does indeed read like Baldwin, but ultimately is being compared to Baldwin a bad thing? He has yet to match Baldwin's output or influence obviously but who knows what the future holds.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
He idolizes France and thinks America can be reformed. His best ideas are rehashes of Baldwin and Dubois though he does not hide that but White liberals love him because he is not radical in ideology nor global in perspective.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
He idolizes France and thinks America can be reformed. His best ideas are rehashes of Baldwin and Dubois though he does not hide that but White liberals love him because he is not radical in ideology nor global in perspective.

He does? How so? (Really asking, don't know much of his work for the moment and curious since I live in France). It's interesting because Between the world and me was well received here, both by "mainstream" media as by black media. Really liked it myself, need to read some of his other stuff.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
He does? How so? (Really asking, don't know much of his work for the moment and curious since I live in France). It's interesting because Between the world and me was well received here, both by "mainstream" media as by black media. Really liked it myself, need to read some of his other stuff.

He moved to France, is learning the language, and basically said racism is an American thing and does not exist in France.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
He moved to France, is learning the language, and basically said racism is an American thing and does not exist in France.

Ah, the long tradition of Black Americans and Paris (I guess when he says "France", he means "Paris"). Well for sure it's a different form of racism over here, and like I always say as a Black American in Europe he's first and foremost an American (and to add to that, an intellectual) so obviously he won't experiment the same things the random Mamadou Traorés or Rachid Hazougs do.