How yall feel about Ta-Nehisi Coates ?

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
What did he do to the Black Panther?
He's pushing this neoliberal anti-black male agenda on the comics. Basically emasculating the Black Panther while focusing on black female lesbianism. He also turned Wakanda from one of the wealthiest nations to a stereotypical African nation that is filled with rape. I don't read comics like that anymore but many fans of Black Panther been ripping him to shreds.

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
He's pushing this neoliberal anti-black male agenda on the comics. Basically emasculating the Black Panther while focusing on black female lesbianism. He also turned Wakanda from one of the wealthiest nations to a stereotypical African nation that is filled with rape. I don't read comics like that anymore but many fans of Black Panther been ripping him to shreds.
After this and what Poiter posted above.

I think im not willing to fukk with this nikka:francis:

Might check out that reparations book tho

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps

I actually like his run on the Black Panther...but then again...I never really read all of Christopher Priest's run...so I can't really compare...

From my understanding...he was kinda like Batman...

Now he feels like an African dictator trying to do right...

I like the moral ambiguity...

:yeshrug:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
He ain't Baldwin.

I think he's a strong writer, both poetic and convincing. I think the fact that he can actually get White people to seriously discuss what are extremely radical positions for White people is a GOOD thing.

I mean, before Ta-Nehisi Coates, how often did you hear even liberal Whites talking bout reparations?

It was always some, "Oh, I see how they may deserve it, but it isn't politically feasible and we need to move past that .:beli:"

Now you actually got people like, "This man Ta-Nehisi has led me to believe that I must change my position on this issue. :ehh:"

I ain't saying that ALL Black intellectuals should be like that, or that it makes him the "best" one. But it's a lane that needed to be occupied, and he's done it well.

He moved to France, is learning the language, and basically said racism is an American thing and does not exist in France.

Can you give receipts on the France thing? As I understand it, French racism IS a lot different from American racism, more nationalist/xenophobic than skin-color based. Which makes sense given their history - they haven't had a large "native" Black population like America has, their Black residents were seen as Africans even when they were 2nd and 3rd generation, so they chose to express racism via nativism rather than colorism. That made Paris a different environment for Western Black intellectuals than America was.

I ain't never been to France and don't hardly know anyone who spent time there, I'm just based this on some of what I've read of history and current events, so I'm willing to be shown wrong.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Can you give receipts on the France thing? As I understand it, French racism IS a lot different from American racism, more nationalist/xenophobic than skin-color based. Which makes sense given their history - they haven't had a large "native" Black population like America has, their Black residents were seen as Africans even when they were 2nd and 3rd generation, so they chose to express racism via nativism rather than colorism. That made Paris a different environment for Western Black intellectuals than America was.

I ain't never been to France and don't hardly know anyone who spent time there, I'm just based this on some of what I've read of history and current events, so I'm willing to be shown wrong.

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
*off topic*

Not disagreeing with her but are the BLACK muslims a problem over there?
This seems to be a white arab/muslim problem that blacks are inheriting by association :jbhmm:
Blacks seem to have been in france for decades without these religous issues :francis:

Peeped that too :skip:

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
*off topic*

This seems to be a white arab/muslim problem that blacks are inheriting by association :jbhmm:
Blacks seem to have been in france for decades without these religous issues :francis:

Decades? The Algerian Arab problem predates any significant Black population in France.

Watch the movie "La Haine" if you don't think Black Africans get it bad in France.

The "Arab problem" is mostly self-inflected by France for their actions in Algeria, an African nation, and a pipeline for African migrants escaping into Europe. Black muslims in France are not the bulk of the radicals but they are there.

Last edited:

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
I think he's a good writer, but I can't get with alot of the hopelessness in some of his writing.

Plus I dont see the sense in running from white supremacy in America into the arms of its architects :francis:

Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Decades? The Algerian Arab problem predates any significant Black population in France.

Watch the movie "La Haine" if you don't think Black Africans get it bad in France.

The "Arab problem" is mostly self-inflected by France for their actions in Algeria, an African nation, and a pipeline for African migrants escaping into Europe. Black muslims in France are not the bulk of the radicals but they are there.

Ok cool :ehh:

The lady was using confusing words like Moroccans, Algerians, and Africans - then labeling them as ALL black.

Due to the fact that i've never heard of blacks in france engaging in repeated, extremist behaviors, I was theorizing that blacks may be catching some extra hell (on top of our usual hell) due to being labeled as "muslims" and "africans" without any distinction of race. These issues seem like White arab/muslim issues to me.

Having said that, i definitely need to learn more on this so i downloaded the movie and i'll peep it later today. Good lookin :myman:

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium

Having lived in France for a long time and kind of knowing how racism is in the US (from afar, haven't lived there since I was a kid), racism in France and the US are indeed different. For all kinds of reasons, indeed France (and Europe) has not had a large native Black population before post WWII basically. I like to say that US"s colonies were on its own soil, while France's were overseas. Obviously that creates a different reality. Black culture in the US seems to be much more a part of overall US culture (with the whole cultural appropriation thing) than in France. Also France has never had a legal segregationnist regime on its soil, has a different approach to the use of violence/arms (not saying it's "better", just different). Also for a long time the Black "issue" in France has been one of immigration (as opposed to Black Americans who have been in the US for centuries), and as all immigrants a big part just tries to "fit in", and/or doesn't really get involved that much politically/whatever because...they see themselves moving back to Africa at some point (this includes some who are born in France).

*off topic*

Indeed it's different, I think that Black people have been prejudiced against but for different reasons than Arab/Muslims have been. Arab/Muslims are perceived as a threat to France by some, because they are more numerous, somehow "stick together" through religion (for the believers), and obviously there's the millenia-old Islam vs Christianity thing. Black people, in my opinion, don't seem to be seen as a huge threat to France as a country. That doesn't mean there is no racism against Black people, but it's somewhat different imo. Also the war in Algeria is a HUGE issue that still has repercussions today. Those people who fought against Algeria's independence, those who were torturing Algerians, etc...all came back to France, and got into police, politics, etc. Jean-Marie Le Pen fought in that war, I was at a conference a couple weeks ago when the researchers saw that in some towns in the South of France (where the FN gets a lot of votes) you had a big number of people with ties with Algeria ("pieds-noirs"). So obviously the one hundred+ years of segregation/massacres carried to France on a cultural aspect. The big difference with other colonies (especially Black ones) is that it was so close, involved very lage numbers of French people (Algeria was technically "France", not a colony) who were sent there to live there, as opposed to say CAR or Senegal for example.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
He's a talented writer.
Of course people won't agree with everything he writes. But generally he's pretty insightful.

Daps
His biggest strength is that he's well versed in American history, and not afraid to use that knowledge to dispel racist myths about African Americans. Not afraid to call racism racism. Not afraid to take white liberals to task either. We desperately need more intellectuals like him.