How yall feel about Ta-Nehisi Coates ?

Tate

Kae☭ernick Loyalist
Daps
Coates is a genuinely talented writer imo. I usually enjoy his work. I think he lacks a coherent ideology tho.

He does seem to be slightly full of himself. Which granted he is talented in his field and he's received basically nothing but non-stop praise for 3 years now, isn't surprising.

Larry cumavelli

Elon Cum
Daps
Reppin
Elon Musk
Coates is a genuinely talented writer imo. I usually enjoy his work. I think he lacks a coherent ideology tho.

He does seem to be slightly full of himself. Which granted he is talented in his field and he's received basically nothing but non-stop praise for 3 years now, isn't surprising.

what do you feel is his best work/piece ?

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
I find him to be a good writer/researcher but his despair is off-putting. Surely, Afro-descendants in the US can undertake solutions which can at least mitigate our plight.

I do not find him arrogant. In a lot of interviews, he notes that he's a college dropout. Perhaps he interprets that event as a sign of personal failure, despite his success.

Larry cumavelli

Elon Cum
Daps
Reppin
Elon Musk
The Legal Murder Of Tamir Rice

I really enjoyed this. I think his emotional, eloquent prose meshes well with the sheer inhumanity of Tamir Rice's slaughter. His pieces on incarceration are also worth a read.

i'll check it out, seeing as ur on the gauche (the french meaning) side , how do u feel about coates views on obama or economic exploitation relating to -ism ?

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
In the middle of reading "Between the World and Me" (been putting it off for a while).

Not sure if this makes sense, but I feel like he says a lot of really thought-provoking stuff, only to arrive at the wrong conclusion. I think his way of analyzing things is absolutely brilliant, but I never agree with the conclusions he draws from those analyses.

So, yeah, the next James Baldwin. :yeshrug:

jackson35

Banned
Daps
both of this brothers book are amazing. all of you need to give this brother a chance to cook, he is trying to find a a groove that wee all can dance to

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
His case on reparations is pure genius, enough said. And the fact that he is strongly immovable in his position on it and that he strongly advocates for it makes him an eternal enemy to all cacs (liberal or conservative or leftist or otherwise), no matter what "liberal cac media" he puts his work for. All cacs are against reparations for black folks. That takes courage to stick to that.

Does he really make cacs feel safe? Dude says the country is basically irredeemably racist and he argues in favor of reparations.

I didn't like his hit piece on Sanders last year.

Nah people nuthugged Sanders a little too much just because he kept saying he marched in the 60's, thinking he's a demigod invulnerable to criticism because people are so desperate for a democratic leftist. Sanders is against reparations, too. :mjpls: Even though he's a jew.

Coates was one of the few non-right wingers who put his feet to the fire and criticized him with soundness.

Him being an Obama apologist is kinda corny, though. He's way too analytical to be playing the sentimental game with a man who is (was) the leader of the empire.

But you can't deny his wit.

Last edited: