How Will the Series S Affect Next Gen Multi's and the Series X?

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
So basically, having a scaled down S version of the Series X isn’t going to stop shyt when it comes to developing games...

Like us people with common sense thought

Smart move and most people are gonna get the S anyways and the hardcore dudes with the money to spend on the X + the money for the TV will do that.

I'll bet most of us got a tv under500 bucks and will be fine with the S, dudes with those top end TVs will get the big boy.

reminds me alot of the 360 vs the PS3 when it first came out, Sony had the better hardware but the games mostly played fine on the 360.

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Smart move and most people are gonna get the S anyways and the hardcore dudes with the money to spend on the X + the money for the TV will do that.

I'll bet most of us got a tv under500 bucks and will be fine with the S, dudes with those top end TVs will get the big boy.

reminds me alot of the 360 vs the PS3 when it first came out, Sony had the better hardware but the games mostly played fine on the 360.
Except this time Sony doesn’t even have the better hardware

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Lead Engine Programmer on Doom Eternal's Take

mHYhCvh.jpg

Who is being paid off because I want unbiased opinions from devs
This guy doesn't have an agenda as he's a multiplatform dev

Seems really early for this, but I'm sure you can just render at 1080p. Probably way easier on the HW than 1440, and you probably can't tell the difference at all unless. Or dynamic.

microsoft shoulda just came out with the X only...these devs gonna be crying the whole Gen about having to deal with "bottlenecks" and "scaling" across multiple consoles....

Without the S, MS would have to underprice the X to a degree the CEO wouldn't allow it. It would have to be at least 100 less than the digital PS5, which would hemorrhage money. They're probably losing way less money selling the S for 300.

Brief Keef

Superstar
Daps
that's my point
devs have been complaining about bottlenecks forever
this is why PC and console went toe to toe last gen despite PC's superior hardware
optimization
to improve this optimization, devs have been begging for more memory and faster speeds
MS addressed it and Sony went all out with the SSD
However, the Series S may present yet another bottleneck and scaling problem
It might not seem like a problem now but as developers become more and more ambitious in terms of what their games can look and play like, memory and speed are going to become exponentially more important
There are genuine concerns when it comes to the Series S and its affect on game development
well they chose to go this 2 console route and now they got ppl and devs questioning one of their SKU's...i woulda just went with the X....they made a cheaper console with damn near similar specs so they can say they saved ppl $200....fukk all that...so now us X owners gotta suffer ?

O³ (O cubed)

No more PAWGs, PLEASE??!!!??
Daps
Reppin
Hackney, London
Truth is that we don't know. I've been saying this for a while so I'm gonna reiterate, we don't know until the consoles and the games come out.

Krazy

Rifle weh taller dan palm tree
Daps
Reppin
Judgement Yard
Craig says hi:rudy:
If MS demonstrated that they can handle cross platform development I wouldn't have made this thread
Their Infinite demonstration was abysmal
There is genuine concern from developers about what affect the Series S will have on development
What’s Infinite gotta do with the Series S?

Arguably the fact it is cross gen and not next gen exclusive is more impactful and plausible as to why it looks so ass.

Daps
What’s Infinite gotta do with the Series S?

Arguably the fact it is cross gen and not next gen exclusive is more impactful and plausible as to why it looks so ass.
Because people were saying don't worry it won't have any affect they will optimize for Series X and scale down and we got Craig :hhh:
No excuses you got Kena w/ ray tracing, instant loading, next gen graphics, etc. yet it's cross gen
So you mean to tell me I'm now supposed to blindly trust MS with the Series S and assume it will have zero negative impact on game development :comeon:
Don't take my word for it you have a handful of developers expressing concern
(not paid off by MS)