How Will the Series S Affect Next Gen Multi's and the Series X?

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You know what grinds my gears? How understanding some of you are when it comes to information(from a dev) assuaging any concern over anything Xbox related but when that same information comes from a dev about how close the PS5 is to the X y'all want extreme tech breakdowns.

"S is fine the upscaling will be great low res even"

"Lol Ratchet will be 1079P 60fps :mjlol: "

Make up y'all mind

Last edited:

Mountain

All Star
Daps
Reppin
more money
Just some more unnecessary bullshyt MS introduces to the industry
They were talking out the side of their neck bout developing for last gen wouldn't affect next gen
Then we saw Halo :merchant:
I guess when you tired of getting your ass kicked, you'll try any tactic possible

Yes and then we saw MSFS which is cross gen and far far graphically superior to anything shown on the PS5

But I guess when youre busy being a brand prostitute for sony facts like that are convenient to ignore huh:mjgrin:

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
Chicago - SouthSide - Wild 100s
qqi3eno917m51.jpg

Tim Lord

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
The pared-down GPU and RAM/memory bandwidth is likely going to be a problem a few years into the generation. It'll be fine for now given that almost everything is still cross-gen.

Yessir!

While the Xbox Series S is great value and it fits in the marketplace, MS is overselling it. I mean, thats expected since its their console and they are trying to sell it...

Its just that some of these promises are a bit much. Looking at the specs its great for $299. But it is targeting 44% of the resolution, with 33% of the compute, 40% of the memory bandwidth, 38% of the shading capability.

This is a great 1080p machine and i fully expect it to perform like a Radeon 5500XT with some performance optimizations. As said above, we will start seeing compromises once games really start to push the Series X about 1 year in or so.

But because the architectures are so similar, it wont hold back the gen, it will just be noticeably scaled back in areas beyond just resolution. And sure as a dev that having another SKU to optimize for takes time away from other areas of focus.

It will be very interesting to see how it stacks against the Xbox One X in the near future. Im guessing higher res/lower framerate on the One X vs the Series S.

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
Really depends on the GPU designs. It isn't as simple as "just lower the resolution". You'll have all the effects and whatnot that could be much easier to render on the X but not the S, depending on the design.

Considering the relative close-makeup of the specs, it could just be a lower spec GPU outright to simply fit the resolution targets without going overboard. I doubt there's substantial enough differences in the games, unless they start adding video settings or whatever and the 120fps stuff.

kaldurahm

All Star
Daps
The fact that the cpu is nearly the same as the Xbox series X is genius. The problem isn't the GPU, the problem I fear is the ram

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Both those things are huge price variables on PC even now, If I want to build PC that has a 500g ssd hard drive that can do 1440p gaming at max vs one that can do native 4k with a tb ssd the price difference alone would be more than 200 bucks. So I know microsoft eating all kind of cost on these things.

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
The fact that the cpu is nearly the same as the Xbox series X is genius. The problem isn't the GPU, the problem I fear is the ram
Its explained in one of the many vids in here...

The RAM is where it needs to be for the GPU it’s utilizing.

Its not going to slow down anything, smaller GPU/ SSD means it doesn’t need the RAM

Diondon

Thanks to the lawyers uh, I marbled the foyer
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere tropic...
Yes and then we saw MSFS which is cross gen and far far graphically superior to anything shown on the PS5

But I guess when youre busy being a brand prostitute for sony facts like that are convenient to ignore huh:mjgrin:

Nobody cares bout your pilot training manual, Chief :skip: