How will Joe Biden GOVERN? General Biden Administration F**kery Thread

King Kreole

natural blondie like goku
Daps
Facebook and Google. Wow. :unimpressed:
yeah I agree, if you think about, it Facebook and Google are really not much different from your local mom and pop shop. Nothing particularly relevant about Facebook or Google when it comes to the State Department and international diplomacy. Carry on, Mr. Blinken!

There's not a foreign policy expert on Earth that everyone is going to agree with 100% breh. Hindsight is 20/20. He's been part of more good decisions than bad and most consider this a solid pick.

Finding someone with experience, competence, and a known good working relationship makes the list for Biden very short. Maybe you had someone else in mind. :hubie:
...did you just drop a "hindsight is 20/20" on the Iraq War? :dwillhuh:

"We all make mistakes" :dead:

What are the good decisions he's been a part of that outweigh the bad decisions he's been a part of? I'm 100% asking in good faith. What are the foreign policy decisions in which Tony Blinken has departed from the status quo liberal interventionist / neocon Blob consensus?

Grading Biden’s Foreign Policy Team: Tony Blinken

ADevilYouKhow

Rhyme Reason
Daps
Reppin
got a call for three nines
@FAH1223 not sure why Rose Twitter set is being so myopic about Blinken?

Hes a very strong opponent of the Iran deal, will push a return to it, and there is very little appetite for greater engagement on Syria.

He’s also signalled he will take a tougher stance on Saudi, vis-a-vis the Yemen conflict, and on Egypt. Seems like things a Bernie admin would do as well, so why the upset? :Patrice:

This is beside the absurdity that the Syrian war started because of Obama. Highly ironic considering how much heat he gets from some foreign policy people, for deciding against intervening aggressively.

Rose Twitter and their coli tweet sharing admirers are having a meltdown about everything happening sour grapes I guess...read any tweet/reply on the first page of HL right now and it’s a cascade of negativity and poison pill bitterness

Last edited:

ZoeGod

I’m from Brooklyn a place where stars are born.
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn,NY
Biden was good and right on Syria, and he deserved credit for that. But the other stuff? :jbhmm:

'Trump sold them out': Joe Biden hits the president over Syria troop withdrawal in Iowa speech

And during the Iowa Democratic debate when asked about withdrawing or keeping troops in the Middle East, he was on the side of keeping troops there.

Democrats clash at debate over keeping US troops in Mideast
I think this goes back to the talking point that Republicans love to blame Obama for the rise of ISIS because he withdrew troops from Iraq. I think it's bullshyt because even if there was troops ISIS still would have run rampant in Iraq. I guess Biden wants to leave troops in there to make sure ISIS never rises up.

For Syria I think its more so to basically to support out for the Syrian Kurds to fight against ISIS. Not opposing Assad. Biden's foreign policy is basically leaving residual forces in Iraq/Syria to prevent ISIS from coming back. But no more greater intervention unless something major happens on the ground.

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC

Hes a very strong opponent of the Iran deal, will push a return to it, and there is very little appetite for greater engagement on Syria.

He’s also signalled he will take a tougher stance on Saudi, vis-a-vis the Yemen conflict, and on Egypt. Seems like things a Bernie admin would do as well, so why the upset? :patrice:

This is beside the absurdity that the Syrian war started because of Obama. Highly ironic considering how much heat he gets from some foreign policy people, for deciding against intervening aggressively.

Those are good things. Blinken has worked with progressives since the primary.

Blinken has been an obvious choice for months. Ever since Dave Dayen put that article in the Prospect in July.

He's been with Biden for so long but the points against him are the Syria war, the Iraq war (he was with Senator Biden when they were pushing that and now try to recast it as 'tough diplomacy').

Anyway, this isn't going to be Pompeo's lunatic BS which should be welcomed. I think William Burns would have been the best choice.

hjnm

All Star
Daps

He’s also signalled he will take a tougher stance on Saudi, vis-a-vis the Yemen conflict, and on Egypt. Seems like things a Bernie admin would do as well, so why the upset? :Patrice:

Syria is classic damned if you do, damned if you don't. The accusation is that ISIS started because Obama left Iraq.

Anyway he has a minority in the Senate better to get someone who can get confirmed.

King Kreole

Daps
Neo-cons and liberal interventionist are pretty much the same. They both want to maintain the American empire. Even Trumps "isolationism" was still about maintaining it. With Biden we will go back to the Obama-lite foreign policy days except Biden is not gungho on foreign intervention. He was against intervening in Syria and Libya. He proposed a realist idea of breaking up Iraq because its a sectarian mess. I would bet he will support only the Syrian Kurds not the sunni rebels. The reality on the grounds is the rebels lost. Turkey supports their proxies to maintain a buffer state not defeating Assad. Europe doesn't want to se new fighting as that would mean more refugees. Probably back Ukraine against Russia. Return to the Iran nuclear deal and end the policy of confrontation with Iran since they have abided by the deal. I don't see Biden launching a military intervention into Venezuela. Probably sanctions and thats it. He will likely continue the Obama policy on focusing on China.
Yeah, I don't think Biden is some bloodthirsty, dyed in the wool Neocon itching to do some nation-building. But I don't think Obama was either, and that didn't stop him from being led into some truly horrific foreign policy blunders. Biden was usually a voice of restraints in the Obama administration when it came to these decisions, so I give him credit for that. But I also see no reason to believe he has the ideology or strength to stand up to the Blob when another foreign crisis pops up. And I don't see Blinken as providing a strong counter-voice either. I think Russia and China will be the foreign policy battle grounds of the future, and all I see from Biden-Blinken is run-of-the-mill Russia hawkery and China placation. I think they'll definitely return to the Obama status quo re: Iran, which will be a marked improvement from the current situation, but I don't see an end to the status quo confrontation. I agree with you on Venezuela.

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
yeah I agree, if you think about, it Facebook and Google are really not much different from your local mom and pop shop. Nothing particularly relevant about Facebook or Google when it comes to the State Department and international diplomacy. Carry on, Mr. Blinken!
As well he should. After 25 years in government, I'd be leveraging my connections to the hilt. I don't know anyone in government work that doesn't do that. My granddad is a retired general and made a fortune in government contracting. :yeshrug:

Doesn't seem like he had any intention of going back to government so yeah, a natural progression. Is this supposed to invalidate him from the position? Please. :russ:

...did you just drop a "hindsight is 20/20" on the Iraq War? :dwillhuh:

"We all make mistakes" :dead:
No, I'm saying you're going to nitpick anyone Biden picks to death.

What are the foreign policy decisions in which Tony Blinken has departed from the status quo liberal interventionist / neocon Blob consensus?

Grading Biden’s Foreign Policy Team: Tony Blinken
That's your problem not mine. You do this with every pick. I'm not asking him to be a radical change. Just like what was outlined Jake Sullivan's letter, I want the US to re-enter the world arena not as a beacon of exceptionalism or to dominate every conversation, but to be collaborator with unique strengths. He's made it a point that he wants to rebuild our international standing and build stronger alliances specifically to pressure China. I don't think that's out of reach.

King Kreole

Daps
Nah, I think this disagreement stems from exceptions. Like you legitimately stated that the man used his experience in sector X to start his consulting firm..... consulting on sector X.

you view that as “corruption” , i view it as logical. Cause, you know if I spent my life in the Resturant industry my first choice on opening my consulting industry would defense contracting.

Like you can hate the man for X,Y & Z calls he has made, and who knows chances are he made some dumb ones, but this? IDK, I just personally don’t get it.
...breh, I think the aspect you're missing here is that he was a high ranking government official. He wasn't some random dude working in these areas. He was the Deputy Secretary of State. I doubt he was being paid millions of dollars to advise private defense contracting firms how to clean their office toilets better.

With great power comes great responsibility. These aren't just "dumb decisions" You don't just get to "Sorry guys, I guess I just kinda messed up :pachaha:" away your actions when you're playing at that altitude. There should be consequences for fukking up. Being Secretary of State isn't Tony Blinken's right, it's a privilege.

King Kreole

Daps
So I suspect these guys are boycotting Facebook and Google then? Surely they wouldn't be using those tyrants products.
:dead:

Yeah, having a gmail account is the same thing as being paid millions of dollars to consult for Google and then be named Secretary of State.

King Kreole

Daps
Rose Twitter and their coli tweet sharing admirers are having a meltdown about everything happening sour grapes I guess...read any tweet/reply on the first page of HL right now and it’s a cascade of negativity and poison pill bitterness
Can we just end this charade and admit that y'all don't actually give a shyt about governance and would eat a Biden nominated SecDef Donald Rumsfeld with a smile? I haven't see y'all be critical about a single thing about Biden...it's just vacuous "Well the progressives are upset so I'm happy :thumbsup:" reheated anti-Bernie Bro crap :unimpressed: