How will Joe Biden GOVERN? General Biden Administration F**kery Thread

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

His executive order directs federal agencies to submit plans within 200 days that outline steps to expand voter registration and distribute election information to voters. It also directs the U.S. chief information officer to modernize federal websites and digital services that provide such details

So it doesn't do anything. To be clear, I'm not blaming Biden for the situation. And tbh I'm not even sure the John Lewis bill would achieve anything when you have multiple states ready to torpedo it with lawsuits, refuse to enforce it, etc.

This is a repeat of 2009/2010 when states instituted a variety of measures to make voting harder in response to fake claims of voter fraud. Some changes will be made that I understand. I get that no excuse absentee voting will no longer be available, given that the pandemic will be controlled by 2022 and 2024. We'll essentially go back to how things were in previous elections on that front, and while I'd prefer mail voting to continue it's not a major concern.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Sinema's dumbass says she wants 60 votes for everything restored from judicial nominations, cabinet appointments, legislation and an end to budget reconciliation.

"Nothing gets done...ever" is a position that quite a few politicians thrive by. :ehh:

But Biden has to move from this "preference" position.. he may not be for some more progressive ideas and that's fine but he is smart enough to realize how important voting rights are for his own party to win elections.

His E.O. was nice and all but as i said it's not enough to combat what's going on. won't change much..

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC

His executive order directs federal agencies to submit plans within 200 days that outline steps to expand voter registration and distribute election information to voters. It also directs the U.S. chief information officer to modernize federal websites and digital services that provide such details

So it doesn't do anything. To be clear, I'm not blaming Biden for the situation. And tbh I'm not even sure the John Lewis bill would achieve anything when you have multiple states ready to torpedo it with lawsuits, refuse to enforce it, etc.

This is a repeat of 2009/2010 when states instituted a variety of measures to make voting harder in response to fake claims of voter fraud. Some changes will be made that I understand. I get that no excuse absentee voting will no longer be available, given that the pandemic will be controlled by 2022 and 2024. We'll essentially go back to how things were in previous elections on that front, and while I'd prefer mail voting to continue it's not a major concern.
The John Lewis Voting Rights Act responds to the Shelby County v. Holder decision, where the Supreme Court in 2013 said that states with a long history of discrimination no longer have to approve their voting changes with the federal government. In that decision, the Supreme Court basically said to Congress: You can write a new version of the Voting Rights Act. One of the biggest issues with the Voting Rights Act of 1965 is it’s based on old data. So the John Lewis Voting Rights Act would require states with a more recent history of voting discrimination to have to approve their voting changes with the federal government once again. That would include states like Georgia that both discriminated against voters of color in the past but have also discriminated against them more recently, as found by the courts. And so if Georgia wanted to get rid of automatic registration or get rid of early voting or do something like that, they would have to get that approved with the federal government, either with the courts or the Justice Department.

Also, I don't understand why Congress didn't explicitly say that HR1 only applies to congressional elections, since that's what Congress has constitutional authority over. Making it applicable to presidential elections just seems to ensure it would get thrown out as unconstitutional.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
The Dem leadership needs to understand that people want what they can feel. Tax credits are great but aren’t felt.

The John Lewis Voting Rights Act responds to the Shelby County v. Holder decision, where the Supreme Court in 2013 said that states with a long history of discrimination no longer have to approve their voting changes with the federal government. In that decision, the Supreme Court basically said to Congress: You can write a new version of the Voting Rights Act. One of the biggest issues with the Voting Rights Act of 1965 is it’s based on old data. So the John Lewis Voting Rights Act would require states with a more recent history of voting discrimination to have to approve their voting changes with the federal government once again. That would include states like Georgia that both discriminated against voters of color in the past but have also discriminated against them more recently, as found by the courts. And so if Georgia wanted to get rid of automatic registration or get rid of early voting or do something like that, they would have to get that approved with the federal government, either with the courts or the Justice Department.

Also, I don't understand why Congress didn't explicitly say that HR1 only applies to congressional elections, since that's what Congress has constitutional authority over. Making it applicable to presidential elections just seems to ensure it would get thrown out as unconstitutional.
Copy

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Actually I'm not even mad at Manchin for this.

Jake Tapper is barely a step above Chuck Todd at this point. :hhh:

My issue with manchin is where was this fortitude when Trump was running rampant destroying norms and safeguards ? When Trump and GOP was just trolling the dems and the left refusing to be bipartisan?

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
His preference may not be to end it and Kate doesn't have to say so, but he also knows what's up. shyt gotta move. Reconciliation is a very limited option and the GQP ain't giving an inch, so... :jbhmm:
I noticed that too.

“his preference...”

This rest of what she said was gibberish. But it sounds like They want the R’s to force their hand.

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
My issue with manchin is where was this fortitude when Trump was running rampant destroying norms and safeguards ? When Trump and GOP was just trolling the dems and the left refusing to be bipartisan?
Manchin voted to confirm Kavanaugh and Gorsuch

He could have tanked Kavanaugh in hindsight but he was shook of the ramifications for his own re-election a couple weeks later. Then again Pence could have cast the tie breaker.

He won re-election by 3%. A sea change from 2012.

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
Because it wouldn’t be politically beneficial for him to speak against Trump. All these guys care about it is getting re-elected and making money from their positions

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sinema's dumbass says she wants 60 votes for everything restored from judicial nominations, cabinet appointments, legislation and an end to budget reconciliation.

I think if Manchin can get out of the way of ending the filibuster (which he is now signalling flexibility on)...Sinema will get the fukk outta the way

she being an idiot now, but if Manchin not providing cover on this issue, too much pressure will be applied to Sinema, and her situation much different from Manchin’s

King Static X

The Realest King (የተከበረው ንጉሥ)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kings County
Manchin represents WV - one of the most Republican & pro-Trump states in the country.

Manchin is a pain in the ass but he's the best that Dems can get out of West Virginia. West Virginia's other senator (Shelley Moore Capito) is a solid conservative Republican.

King Static X

The Realest King (የተከበረው ንጉሥ)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kings County
I think if Manchin can get out of the way of ending the filibuster (which he is now signalling flexibility on)...Sinema will get the fukk outta the way

she being an idiot now, but if Manchin not providing cover on this issue, too much pressure will be applied to Sinema, and her situation much different from Manchin’s
Sinema is even more stubborn than Manchin. She's the "I don't give a f*ck what other people say or think" type of politician - she's also said as much.

NY's #1 Draft Pick

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Damn finally caught up:mjlol: y’all went wild the last week. I’m not freaking out about Biden and the dems like some of y’all in here. If they break up the filibuster then I’m good I’ll consider Biden successful. If he and Schumer don’t whip sinema and manchin for the VRA then fukk em and I’ll be :hubie: about politics in this country.