How will Joe Biden GOVERN? General Biden Administration F**kery Thread

King Kreole

natural blondie like goku
Daps
I said a version of this before but I’ll say it here:

You can say "POTUS has the unilateral ability to cancel all federal student debt" and you can probably find law professors who will agree with you; however, you'd need a circuit court judge to agree and that would likely have to be a Trump appointee. Then need SCOTUS to agree with you and there's currently a 6-3 conservative lean.​

Constitutionally, Congress has the “power of the purse”, but they granted the executive the power to cancel student debt via DoED in the Higher Education Act of 1965. However, using that power to cancel debt has never been attempted for an amount as large as what's being proposed (up to $50k per person); moreover, when it has been used it was in narrower circumstances (fraud, school closure, permanent and total disability, etc.), but never for blanket student debt relief.

I think this leads to an obvious court challenge asking some version of the following, did Congress give POTUS/DoED unchecked unilateral power to cancel student debt with the Higher Ed. Act? When I consider the current SCOTUS view of executive agencies, I believe it would be a 5-4 decision, assuming Roberts decides to play nice for the optics, holding that the executive branch does not have unchecked unilateral power to cancel all federal student debt.

This is why I believe Biden opposes using executive action but has no issue with signing a bill that accomplishes the same thing. The thing I wonder is why $10k is his cut-off? I assume that would be in line with previously canceled amounts because it otherwise seems rather arbitrary. Anyway, this is ultimately the job of Congress, Schumer and the Senate are trying to push this responsibility on to Biden when they should act themselves. We need wide-sweeping education reform anyway; federal student loans have been frozen and they aren’t accruing interest so it’s not like we’re asking them to act on this tomorrow. We all know infrastructure and voting rights would take priority. Manchin is a proponent of both and either would likely be a flashpoint where the filibuster could get altered (Merkley's plan is alright).

All of our Senators are currently on recess, so I think giving them a call and telling them to act on student debt instead of trying to pass the buck to Biden is probably the play.
The point is, as Bill Clinton said, to get caught trying. Test the limits. And in the face of Republican/Judicial intransigence, let them be the ones to hold the burden of failure. Then use that to rally against them. "I tried to get you your money, but these guys stopped us, so we have to get rid of them" is a superior political message to "We're not going to try helping you because we assume the other guys won't let us win." Obamacare was a risky judicial gambit but they went forward anyway and got a win. Not fighting the battle is worse than losing it. Just fukking try. Show that you have some will to govern. This isn't even a situation where it's going to tie up Congressional resources that could go to other battles, it's an executive order that will work its way through the court.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
The point is, as Bill Clinton said, to get caught trying. Test the limits. And in the face of Republican/Judicial intransigence, let them be the ones to hold the burden of failure. Then use that to rally against them. "I tried to get you your money, but these guys stopped us, so we have to get rid of them" is a superior political message to "We're not going to try helping you because we assume the other guys won't let us win." Obamacare was a risky judicial gambit but they went forward anyway and got a win. Not fighting the battle is worse than losing it. Just fukking try. Show that you have some will to govern. This isn't even a situation where it's going to tie up Congressional resources that could go to other battles, it's an executive order that will work its way through the court.
Biden loves shifting the Overton window. I wouldn’t count him out yet. He positions things in a way to actually get stuff done.

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
Biden playing intergalactic, 4 dimensional chess out here while the republicans are playing duck duck goose :banderas:
Y'all don't understand how bad it is. It's not just the lack of electricity & heat. Now people's pipes are exploding destroying their homes. There's also a huge water shortage, as treatment facilities are down. Gas shortage and grocery shortage too because trucks can't drive on these shytty roads. This red state is turning on each other. Biden/Dems need to exploit this fissure.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Loans and interest have been paused for a year and I know people who haven't done a thing to try to pay it down.

This isn't a cut and dry issue for me.. I paid my loans and it wasn't my parents who did it either... it was all me.

Everyone's situation is different.. whats the best answer on it.. 10k? 25k? 50k? 100k?

Is 10k "bad" ? If he only does 10k are people going to be up in arms

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
Loans and interest have been paused for a year and I know people who haven't done a thing to try to pay it down.

This isn't a cut and dry issue for me.. I paid my loans and it wasn't my parents who did it either... it was all me.

Everyone's situation is different.. whats the best answer on it.. 10k? 25k? 50k? 100k?

50k is whipping out most of the student loans

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Y'all don't understand how bad it is. It's not just the lack of electricity & heat. Now people's pipes are exploding destroying their homes. There's also a huge water shortage, as treatment facilities are down. Gas shortage and grocery shortage too because trucks can't drive on these shytty roads. This red state is turning on each other. Biden/Dems need to exploit this fissure.
My wife's family lives in Texas. No electricity, no heat and homes flooding. This is terrible.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
BINGO!

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I wouldn’t mind if it was mean tested after a certain amount. If you are coming out of Law School or working on Wall Street making 200K plus at the age of 26, you should be good.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
I wouldn’t mind if it was mean tested after a certain amount. If you are coming out of Law School or working on Wall Street making 200K plus at the age of 26, you should be good.
The problem with this is that you’re talking about such a small group of people that it’s a pointless distinction to make. Anyone harping on that is looking for a reason not to give relief. Less than 1 percent of law school graduates will work in big law. Besides all that, means testing often comes with overly complicated regulations that make it difficult to receive relief. The fact that 50,000 dollars wipes out the debt for 95 percent of people is pretty much proof of that - people in those professions have six figure debts for years after graduating- if this was largely based on them then 50k probably isn’t knocking out nearly the percentage of debt that it is.

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The problem with this is that you’re talking about such a small group of people that it’s a pointless distinction to make. Anyone harping on that is looking for a reason not to give relief. Less than 1 percent of law school graduates will work in big law. Besides all that, means testing often comes with overly complicated regulations that make it difficult to receive relief. The fact that 50,000 dollars wipes out the debt for 95 percent of people is pretty much proof of that - people in those professions have six figure debts for years after graduating- if this was largely based on them then 50k probably isn’t knocking out nearly the percentage of debt that it is.

Great points.

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
Is Beto out there talkin his shyt? :jbhmm: