wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi

I agree 100%.

Forgive us Liz :mjcry:

Def respect where you're coming from, but I say let the Republicans try to retroactively add back thousands of debt to Americans and watch them be destroyed as a viable party on the national level. :mjlol:Biden won partly on balancing policy and tone, also partly on being Obama's VP, but let's not act like it was also because he was running against one of the worst presidents in history. Dems can definitely lose in the next election cycle for being too timid and inactive these next few years.
Give me my debt back :damn:!

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
This Texas blackout disaster will provide some headway for Joe's infrastructure plan...

Quoting myself...Biden prioritizing infrastructure next is looking like a fortuitous decision. Folks are PISSED down here. Got a feeling a few Republicans are going to have incentive to work with him. Just hope he doesn't compromise too much on the price tag.

Last edited:

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Quoting myself...Biden prioritizing infrastructure next is looking like a fortuitous decision. Folks are PISSED down here. Got a feeling a few Republicans are going to have incentive to work with him. Just hope he doesn't compromise too much on the price tag.

biden can exploit the fukk outta this texas failure and make the republicans go along with an infrastructure plan now

those huge bills are :huhldup: talk about a slap in the fukkin face

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
Y'all realize that the covid relief package (which many economists say is MORE than what's needed), fully reopening/defeating the virus by Thanksgiving, and a robust infrastructure plan that Mayor Pete said will target shovel-ready projects is going to have the economy humming next year? :wow:

Honestly if he gets those three things done along with HR1/S1 passed by the end of 2021, would you guys consider that a successful first year?

Maybe do the student loan thing next year when the deferments expire and it's fresh in people's minds for the midterms.

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
Y'all realize that the covid relief package (which many economists say is MORE than what's needed), fully reopening/defeating the virus by Thanksgiving, and a robust infrastructure plan that Mayor Pete said will target shovel-ready projects is going to have the economy humming next year? :wow:

Honestly if he gets those three things done along with HR1/S1 passed by the end of 2021, would you guys consider that a successful first year?

Maybe do the student loan thing next year when the deferments expire and it's fresh in people's minds for the midterms.
No, we’ll find something to bytch about :mjgrin:

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC

intra vires

Glory to Michigan
Daps
Reppin
The Catholepistemiad
I said a version of this before but I’ll say it here:

You can say "POTUS has the unilateral ability to cancel all federal student debt" and you can probably find law professors who will agree with you; however, you'd need a circuit court judge to agree and that would likely have to be a Trump appointee. Then need SCOTUS to agree with you and there's currently a 6-3 conservative lean.​

Constitutionally, Congress has the “power of the purse”, but they granted the executive the power to cancel student debt via DoED in the Higher Education Act of 1965. However, using that power to cancel debt has never been attempted for an amount as large as what's being proposed (up to $50k per person); moreover, when it has been used it was in narrower circumstances (fraud, school closure, permanent and total disability, etc.), but never for blanket student debt relief.

I think this leads to an obvious court challenge asking some version of the following, did Congress give POTUS/DoED unchecked unilateral power to cancel student debt with the Higher Ed. Act? When I consider the current SCOTUS view of executive agencies, I believe it would be a 5-4 decision, assuming Roberts decides to play nice for the optics, holding that the executive branch does not have unchecked unilateral power to cancel all federal student debt.

This is why I believe Biden opposes using executive action but has no issue with signing a bill that accomplishes the same thing. The thing I wonder is why $10k is his cut-off? I assume that would be in line with previously canceled amounts because it otherwise seems rather arbitrary. Anyway, this is ultimately the job of Congress, Schumer and the Senate are trying to push this responsibility on to Biden when they should act themselves. We need wide-sweeping education reform anyway; federal student loans have been frozen and they aren’t accruing interest so it’s not like we’re asking them to act on this tomorrow. We all know infrastructure and voting rights would take priority. Manchin is a proponent of both and either would likely be a flashpoint where the filibuster could get altered (Merkley's plan is alright).

All of our Senators are currently on recess, so I think giving them a call and telling them to act on student debt instead of trying to pass the buck to Biden is probably the play.