How will Joe Biden GOVERN? General Biden Administration F**kery Thread

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Hmm ok. All those amendments last night? I thought they were non-binding grandstanding bullshyt - the GOP just wanted Democrats on the record for things they think people will care about and wouldn't take much time.

I realize the 2 chambers still have to pass identical versions of the bill - which means conference committees to hammer out differences, but with Dems in charge of committees can't they fast track this? Or does the fact that things have to go through a Parliamentarian ruling on the Byrd Rule slow things down further?

The time frame of past reconciliation efforts is a bit concerning but if there is a minimum floor time, it makes sense. I need to read more about the process.
  • The first Bush Tax Cuts took a month to be signed into law using this process
  • The second Bush Tax Cuts took 3 months to be signed into law using this process
  • The ACA took 6 months to be signed into law using this process
  • The Trump Tax Cuts took over a month to be signed into law using this process
The amendments last night were mainly GOP stalling tactics. Bad faith stuff

it’s a complicated process but yeah the Byrd rule and parliamentarian have enormous power but there are ways to get around it if you have a unified front

A month is like the fastest this route takes as you see in history

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
TLR is too busy watching snuff videos and laughing about people getting their brains blown out. I wouldn’t put much stock in their opinion.
what's TLR saying :lupe: :mjlol:

I was laughing my ass off in there yesterday. Biden accomplishing everything they said he wouldn't so the front page miraculously turned back into celeb gossip and fighting over who lives in the best city.

You guys are obsessed with TLR.

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC

Larry Summers was quietly dumped from Joe Biden’s economic team last year. I had written an investigative article on how Summers had managed to fall upwards despite successive pieces of disastrous policy advice—and why he should be kept as far from a Biden administration as possible. Mercifully, Team Biden agreed.

Now Summers, in a Washington Post column, has neatly proven my point. He’s also proven once again that he’s a vindictive son of a bytch.

In the column, as Biden is fighting hard to deliver on his $1.9 billion relief package, Summers choses this moment to argue that the package is too big. Thank God Summers is only purveying his advice in the pages of The Washington Post, and not from inside the administration where someone might take him seriously.

But Summers has also proven once again what a lousy economist he is. After a characteristically disingenuous opening paragraph, congratulating Biden for his boldness (“Its ambition, its rejection of austerity orthodoxy and its commitment to reducing economic inequality are all admirable”), Summers then sticks in the knife.

This admirable, bold package is too large by a factor of three. Why? Summers quotes misleadingly from a Congressional Budget Office analysis. Please read this carefully:

[The] Congressional Budget Office estimates suggest that with the already enacted $900 billion package—but without any new stimulus—the gap between actual and potential output will decline from about $50 billion a month at the beginning of the year to $20 billion a month at its end. The proposed stimulus will total in the neighborhood of $150 billion a month … at least three times the size of the output shortfall.

Got it? The Biden proposal is three times the projected loss of economic output, so it’s three times too big.

But most of the Democrats’ proposal is not about a macroeconomic gap. It’s directed toward vaccine supply and distribution, and relief for struggling schools and flattened state and local budgets and public services. Only about $420 billion goes for direct payments to individuals, and some of that will replenish savings or pay down debt (as opponents of the Biden plan have argued in other contexts).

Summers is a macroeconomist, but there’s more to an effective economy and society than macro. Help with schools and vaccines may have partial spillover into macro stimulus, but it is also needed for its own sake.

Lyndon Johnson famously said, when the question arose of whether to reappoint J. Edgar Hoover as FBI director, “Better to have him inside the tent, pissing out.”

In Summers’s case, it’s better to have him outside the tent, pissing in the wind.

DrDealgood

Superstar
Daps
And this is why the GQP are so dead set against the bill and budget. Because they know it makes the country's success faster and recovery more rapid, acting as a multiplier. What's good for America and Biden and Democrats is bad for us. Their budget deficit grousing is bullshyt, always was, probably always will be. :stopitslime:

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
Joe Biden promised that he would not reduce the size of the direct payments in the coronavirus relief package, despite calls from some Republicans to do so.

“I’m not cutting the size of the checks. They’re going to be $1,400. Period. That’s what the American people were promised,” Biden said.

In the days running up to the Georgia Senate runoff elections, Biden pledged that he would deliver $2,000 in direct relief to most Americans if Democrats took the Senate.

Democrats won both the Georgia runoffs, giving them the Senate and the opportunity to follow through on Biden’s promise. (The $1,400 checks are in combination with the $600 checks that Congress approved in December, bringing the total to $2,000.)

Biden: 'What Republicans have proposed is either to do nothing or not enough'
Joe Biden argued that a massive relief package would pay dividends for the overall health of the US economy.

“The simple truth is, if we make these investments now with interest rates at historic lows, it will generate more growth, higher incomes, a stronger economy, and our nation’s finances will be in a stronger position,” Biden said.

The president dismissed Republicans’ relief proposals as insufficient to address the magnitude of the financial suffering taking place in the US today.

“What Republicans have proposed is either to do nothing or not enough,” Biden said. “All of the sudden, many of them have rediscovered fiscal restraint and concern for the deficits. Don’t kid yourself, this approach will come with a cost: more pain for more people for longer than it has to be.”

Biden concluded the speech without taking questions from reporters.