DrDealgood

Superstar
Daps
WATTBA :hhh:

7d64c896dd57507fd7973400e1b10e21c6c4ae0139118eb24a4f3df50db020b8.png

Worthless Loser

Blackpilled
Daps
Well, one idea on why some Dems wanted a bi partisan agreement was that it would help Biden down the line get bipartisan agreement and votes to other deals such as a immigration reform bill. Coming out the gate with zero Republican support might make them say fukk it to the rest of his legislative agenda that they may be interested in.

I'm not sure if I fully agree with that theory, but it makes sense.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
Manchin is a fekkit
TBF the minimum wage amendment was by Joni Ernst (remember how polling said she would lose) and basically none of the Democrats opposed it. It calls for not raising the minimum wage during the pandemic. They also agree to keep an embassy in Jerusalem with only Sanders, Warren and one other person disagreeing. The income amendment to the bill will have a fight in the house though.

DrDealgood

Superstar
Daps
Well, one idea on why some Dems wanted a bi partisan agreement was that it would help Biden down the line get bipartisan agreement and votes to other deals such as a immigration reform bill. Coming out the gate with zero Republican support might make them say fukk it to the rest of his legislative agenda that they may be interested in.

Cook's take is beyond cringe stupid. Biden wisely talks unity in public but is not on that Rethug okee doke where it counts. That's why the post above Cook's is such a lovely contrast.

Daps
Reppin
NULL

maybe 30-40+ years ago you could bank on bipartisanship buying you political capitol to get things done

but in 2020? lol.....come on now. we are in an environment where one party barely voted to even accept the outcome of the election result...mind you this vote took place AFTER a deadly insurrection was attempted on the capitol

Obama made this mistake already. He assumed bipartisanship with the 2009 Recovery Act would buy him political capitol to get things done...when all it ended up doing was cutting the Recovery Act short of what was actually needed (because R’s demanded it be smaller), and yet R’s STILL obstructed Obama at every opportunity throughout his entire presidency

in the end, Obama paid the political price of this Recovery Act falling short in the 2010 midterms...after which it was too late, as R’s from then on had the power to obstruct him at every turn

Biden was there every step of the way, and all indications are that he will NOT make this same mistake again

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
It takes 40-50 hours of floor time

There’s gonna be close to 1,000 amendments in the final package

GOP tax cuts took weeks. They started in late October

got it done in Dec
Hmm ok. All those amendments last night? I thought they were non-binding grandstanding bullshyt - the GOP just wanted Democrats on the record for things they think people will care about and wouldn't take much time.

I realize the 2 chambers still have to pass identical versions of the bill - which means conference committees to hammer out differences, but with Dems in charge of committees can't they fast track this? Or does the fact that things have to go through a Parliamentarian ruling on the Byrd Rule slow things down further?

The time frame of past reconciliation efforts is a bit concerning but if there is a minimum floor time, it makes sense. I need to read more about the process.
  • The first Bush Tax Cuts took a month to be signed into law using this process
  • The second Bush Tax Cuts took 3 months to be signed into law using this process
  • The ACA took 6 months to be signed into law using this process
  • The Trump Tax Cuts took over a month to be signed into law using this process

Last edited: