How will Joe Biden GOVERN? General Biden Administration F**kery Thread

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
I don't agree with this. I think it's largely closer to a center left country but people want candidates who seem "normal" and aren't embarrassing, regardless of policy. They don't like far left loons and they really don't like far right loons. People generally agree with Biden on a multitude of issues (health care, taxes, child care, Ukraine, democracy, etc) and are willing to play ball as long as republicans destroy themselves with extremism.

The key is to focus on the issues most people give a shyt about, VS obsessing over the issues only the base cares about (climate change for instance). Good news for Biden is that inflation will continue to decrease, and likely will not be an issue by the end of 2023. Just this week the administration has allowed Venezuela to resume crude oil production. The result will be Florida becoming redder but that's irrelevant compared to reduced gas prices for the country. The pieces are moving in to place for republicans to take massive losses in a couple years, assuming Trump is the nominee.
what is "normal" and "not embarrassing" is determined more by the right wing than the left, therefore, it is actually a center-right country. the right has more leeway to say and do things that are "loony" without consequence.

LOST IN THE SAUCE

The Sauce Apostle
Daps
Reppin
HONOLULU
The president can't unilaterally nationalize the rail system nor can he overrule what they've collectively bargained.

Here's what the PEB recommended:

The truth is, the negotiations came to a stand still and they couldn't handle them on their own. Folks on here were requesting the white house intervene and they did.

Did this lead to the workers getting everything they wanted? No, but that was never going to be the case.

At the end of the day labor isn't some good a priori. And when their requests threaten to affect harm in the greater good you're going to see government intervention -- no different than what we expect when corporations threaten to harm the greater good.
Not unilaterally, no. There are a few different avenues for nationalization, none of which are likely to happen, but I was just using it as an example of how government pressure can obviously effect the negotiations in any direction.

The negotiations are at a stand still over sick days. Sick days. The request that threatens to harm the greater good is sick days. So is it the request that threatens to harm the greater good, or the denial of that request? You're completely ignoring the point I've been making since the initial post, the government could have intervened in a way that benefits labor. There is no reason Biden couldn't have asked congress to push through the agreement with the requested sick days. Doing so would still be intervening, and would still avoid the strike. Would the railway companies get everything they wanted? No, but that was never going to be the case. You're framing support against labor as the default, and there's no reason to do so. Also, we allow corporations to harm the greater good with no intervention as a standard in this country. It's been a long, long time since the government really stepped in to intervene on a large corporation harming the greater good.

Anyway, this conversation with you is getting nowhere, as usual. Have a great day, friend.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Not unilaterally, no. There are a few different avenues for nationalization, none of which are likely to happen, but I was just using it as an example of how government pressure can obviously effect the negotiations in any direction.
The railways were nationalized and the consolidation we see today is a result.

The negotiations are at a stand still over sick days. Sick days. The request that threatens to harm the greater good is sick days. So is it the request that threatens to harm the greater good, or the denial of that request? You're completely ignoring the point I've been making since the initial post, the government could have intervened in a way that benefits labor. There is no reason Biden couldn't have asked congress to push through the agreement with the requested sick days.
But congress was asked to take up sick days and the vote failed.

So I ask, what value is nationalization if the same congress who would be running the show if the railroads were nationalized are rejecting their demands?

Do you see this playing out any differently than the constant battle of the USPS? :pachaha:

All of this is to say, this could be avoided if there were federal mandates on sick leave. But people don’t care about that when they vote for boeberts and walkers

Last edited:

LOST IN THE SAUCE

The Sauce Apostle
Daps
Reppin
HONOLULU
The railways were nationalized and the consolidation we see today is a result.

But congress was asked to take up sick days and the vote failed.

So I ask, what value is nationalization if the same congress who would be running the show if the railroads were nationalized are rejecting their demands?

Do you see this playing out any differently than the constant battle of the USPS? :pachaha:

All of this is to say, this could be avoided if there were federal mandates on sick leave. But people don’t care about that when they vote for boeberts and walkers
You're too focused on nationalization. I understand it's a pipe dream, I was just using it as an example. Biden had many options for ways to intervene, and he just happened to choose the one that favors the the deal the unions did not agree with. But yes, the precedence from the WW1 just furthers my point, really. If I'm not mistaken they forced through union demands around that time as well.

Congress decoupled sick days from the main bill. This is because the deal Biden suggested to push through was the one agreed upon by the railway companies without the sick days, and not the one the unions requested with the sick days. He could have pushed for the deal the unions were requesting, but he chose not to. That is the decision I've been criticizing. With all the leverage removed we all knew how the vote for sick days was going to turn out.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
You're too focused on nationalization. I understand it's a pipe dream, I was just using it as an example. Biden had many options for ways to intervene, and he just happened to choose the one that favors the the deal the unions did not agree with. But yes, the precedence from the WW1 just furthers my point, really. If I'm not mistaken they forced through union demands around that time as well.

Congress decoupled sick days from the main bill. This is because the deal Biden suggested to push through was the one agreed upon by the railway companies without the sick days, and not the one the unions requested with the sick days. He could have pushed for the deal the unions were requesting, but he chose not to. That is the decision I've been criticizing. With all the leverage removed we all knew how the vote for sick days was going to turn out.
So you wanted congress, whose legally mandated purpose here is to avoid a strike to poison pill their own bill? We have to be realistic here with the greater good.

The bolded is absolutely incorrect. That period is arguably one of the worst periods.

The RLB instituted a 12 perfect reduction wages, workers could be required to work 16 of 24 hours, and terrible conditions led to the railway strike of 1922.

That strike was met with companies hiring strikebreakers, leading to violent clashes, kidnappings, murders, vandalism (domestic terror), that ultimately led to the government using law enforcement and the national guard to squash it.

At the end of the day the settlement offered to labor was little and what we have today was the ultimate result.

Historically, rail unions were taking Ls for over a decade following the end of the war. Just look at wwii decades later:

All this to say, being one of the most pro labor presidents with regard to rail workers doesn’t really account for much when the laws say the railways are essential and the workers are replaceable.

Last edited:

LOST IN THE SAUCE

The Sauce Apostle
Daps
Reppin
HONOLULU
So you wanted congress, whose legally mandated purpose here is to avoid a strike to poison pill their own bill? We have to be realistic here with the greater good.

The bolded is absolutely incorrect. That period is arguably one of the worst periods.

The RLB instituted a 12 perfect reduction wages, workers could be required to work 16 of 24 hours, and terrible conditions led to the railway strike of 1922.

That strike was met with companies hiring strikebreakers, leading to violent clashes, kidnappings, murders, vandalism (domestic terror), that ultimately led to the government using law enforcement and the national guard to squash it.

At the end of the day the settlement offered to labor was little and what we have today was the ultimate result.

Historically, rail unions were taking Ls for over a decade following the end of the war. Just look at wwii decades later:

All this to say, being one of the most pro labor presidents with regard to rail workers doesn’t really account for much when the laws say the railways are essential and the workers are replaceable.
I just don't agree that the sick days would be a poison pill, at all. I don't think the repubs were going to risk being seen as anti worker and responsible for the strike and economic shut down, especially over something as small as sick days. Each side was trying to leverage the same situation, yet you're still just framing things as if the default move is for the government to support industry over labor. The unions had the upper hand. They could strike if their demands weren't met, while the rail companies would need to replace the entire work force. The government is the one who tipped the scales in favor of the rail companies. You haven't really demonstrated why Biden needed to choose the rail companies over the unions.

My mistake on the Railway Labor Act. I knew that 8 hour work days were forced through at that time, which I guess was the Adamson Act - Wikipedia. On a quick skim, it seems like what they did force through was short lived and hard to enforce as it was right before nationalization. The whole situation sounds pretty interesting, so I should probably read up on it more.

We're still getting nowhere.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
I just don't agree that the sick days would be a poison pill, at all. I don't think the repubs were going to risk being seen as anti worker and responsible for the strike and economic shut down,
Based on what? It’s the end of congress. Elections are over. They have no insensitive to pretend to be anything other than they are.

Besides, they’d just vote against it and go into 2024 campaign mode about how the Biden administration ruined Christmas and don’t care about blue collar workers. You do live in this country right? :heh:

The unions had the upper hand. They could strike if their demands weren't met, while the rail companies would need to replace the entire work force.

They didn’t though for a variety of reasons. One the rail companies had the same leverage as the workers. Whether it were a lockout or a strike congress was always going to force the issue and send them back to work, especially during the holidays.

The reason I am confident is based on 100 years of examples of rail strikes playing out exactly that way.

My mistake on the Railway Labor Act. I knew that 8 hour work days were forced through at that time, which I guess was the Adamson Act - Wikipedia. On a quick skim, it seems like what they did force through was short lived and hard to enforce as it was right before nationalization. The whole situation sounds pretty interesting, so I should probably read up on it more.
I think it’s a very interesting topic and I’ve been reading up on since September.

We're still getting nowhere.
meh, rail workers got a significant pay raise and more time off and they’ve had the opportunity to shine a spotlight on their lack of sick days.

Activist should continue to move forward with applying pressure on conservatives to approve national sick day legislation.

Change doesn’t happen over night. It also doesn’t happen when you vote against your own interests.