How will Joe Biden GOVERN? General Biden Administration F**kery Thread

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I don't cede that utilizing unilateral power is the wrong thing to do at all. In fact, I think pursuing the path of helping people, regardless of the status quo of norms, is the right thing to do. Lincoln and FDR were two of the most aggressive Presidents when it came to straining the limits of their power, and the country is better for it. Trump's problem wasn't that he bent the rules, it's that he bent the rules for evil.

And besides, this isn't even a question of bending the rules, Congress gave the Executive Branch the authority to cancel student debt. It's completely within Biden's rights to do so. What he's signaling is an unwillingness to even use the tools of the Presidency in front of him. That is ceding the power to the GOP and neutering his own initiatives, and he's using incredibly flimsy ass excuses because he doesn't actually want to govern. It's pathetic. Saying "I'm going to get things done!" isn't the same as...you know...getting things done.

You’re just proving my point.

“My guy is doing what is right so he should push the limits of executive power” isn’t a justification to do so. Regardless, if push comes to shove, he’ll do what he needs to but that won’t and shouldn’t be the first option.

Also, saying “I’m going to get things done” doesn’t mean that he has to accomplish them in the way you see fit. Biden hasn’t even stepped in office and you’ve already determined that he’s weak because he isn’t doing things the way you want him to. That’s bullshyt.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
There's no "skipping over congress", this is a power vested in the Executive Branch. Biden is choosing to punt to Congress because he doesn't want to govern. :unimpressed:

Your idea that the Executive Branch must subordinate their right of executive action to Congressional will is both ahistorical and undermining the very co-equal nature of the tripartite system of the federal government. The President shouldn't need the consent of Congress to act unilaterally within their powers. Otherwise, just abolish the Presidency and institute a parliamentary system.

My case for executive action to cancel student debt isn't solely based on the popularity of the concept, it's based on it being good policy on its own merits. The guiding principle for political action should be what is good and right, not just what is popular. It's called leadership.
But what happens to the people in school now or four years after Biden is gone?

Co-equal meaning checking each other’s power. Legislation that actually fixes education vs letting each president move on a whim.

What if the next Republican president taxes those people who have debts forgiven or has future contracts written that only 20% of federal loans can be wiped away?

Payday23

Superstar
Daps
While I support student loan relief and a general lowering of the cost of education to the point of free public education, I am not naive enough to believe you all are arguing in general good faith.

The truth is, based on the conversations we've had over the years, is that many of you willingly took on large student debt knowing you weren't going to work on a field that would make this a valuable ROI.

I'd respect it more if you all just said what it really is and not trying to shrowd it in populist rhetoric.

You want Biden to drop your student loan debt via executive action because you don't believe it will pass and you will personally benefit from it.

At least @dora_da_destroyer keeps it 100 about this shyt. :ehh:
The problem is that society also built up a propaganda campaign where having a college degree was essential to success rather than focusing on what degrees help foster and create that success if at all

ZoeGod

I’m from Brooklyn a place where stars are born.
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn,NY
While I support student loan relief and a general lowering of the cost of education to the point of free public education, I am not naive enough to believe you all are arguing in general good faith.

The truth is, based on the conversations we've had over the years, is that many of you willingly took on large student debt knowing you weren't going to work on a field that would make this a valuable ROI.

I'd respect it more if you all just said what it really is and not trying to shrowd it in populist rhetoric.

You want Biden to drop your student loan debt via executive action because you don't believe it will pass and you will personally benefit from it.

At least @dora_da_destroyer keeps it 100 about this shyt. :ehh:
I have alot of student debt but I majored in science/health care majors and in a doctorate level program(chiropractic school). So when I graduate I will be making real good money so paying student loans pretty easily. Im for total student loan relief not for me but for millennials and gen z folks. The reason why our generation can't afford to own a home or even buying a car is because of student loans. Its a major drag on the total economy. If you want to stimulate it student loan forgiveness is the best way. Millennials are going to be the first American generation worse off than their parents. And Gen Z is getting fukked with student loan debt as well. So if we want the American economy to continue growing you will have to provide some type of relief. And not to mention income inequality is getting worse because of this. A society cannot survive this way. Student debt forgiveness for me makes alot of economic sense.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
I have alot of student debt but I majored in science/health care majors and in a doctorate level program(chiropractic school). So when I graduate I will be making real good money so paying student loans pretty easily. Im for total student loan relief not for me but for millennials and gen z folks. The reason why our generation can't afford to own a home or even buying a car is because of student loans. Its a major drag on the total economy. If you want to stimulate it student loan forgiveness is the best way. Millennials are going to be the first American generation worse off than their parents. And Gen Z is getting fukked with student loan debt as well. So if we want the American economy to continue growing you will have to provide some type of relief. And not to mention income inequality is getting worse because of this. A society cannot survive this way. Student debt forgiveness for me makes alot of economic sense.
I personally support student debt relief. Largely because student debt is overall quite burdensome for black Americans.

But I also feel it should be a part of an overall package to increase the affordability of public education.

As far as the executive action itself, I'll have to read more into it, but I remember the pause on federal student loans during the cares act didn't apply to a lot of Americans with federally subsidized loans. If that were also the case for executive action here I personally believe it's reception would be quite convoluted.

If that were to be the case and it wouldn't cover all fed subsidized loans, then it's better from an optics perspective to say you took action because congress failed and this is what you could do.

That said, I'm not getting my panties twisted up because Biden is doing what Biden always said he was going to do and attempt to restore working function of congress and go through them whenever possible.

While I understand the pause many have over how obstructionist Republicans have been, continuing down this path is isn't beneficial for the average American.

:yeshrug:

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
You were just arguing against student loan forgiveness for people making six figures last week.

Four years ago you were a staunch Trump supporter saying he's the most pro black candidate we'd seen.

Pardon me for not taking you are a principled, good faith, actor.
:ohhh:

King Kreole

natural blondie like goku
Daps
You were just arguing against student loan forgiveness for people making six figures last week.

Four years ago you were a staunch Trump supporter saying he's the most pro black candidate we'd seen.

Pardon me for not taking you are a principled, good faith, actor.

Oh, come on, you're giving up this early? This is disappointing, you usually have more trolling stamina than this. You didn't even try the "Joe Biden is playing 4D chess by tricking Republicans into thinking they have the high ground" angle. Instead, you're trying to revive this stale line, like fat Elvis trying to play his old hits. You created an entire thread about this that died, at least have the decency to bump it if you want to slap box, beloved.

King Kreole

Daps
The argument is people don't value this as a priority. If it were they'd vote in people to enact it.

Two, it's not a forgone conclusion that this will stand up to legal challenges.
My position is simple. If people had an issue with the republican controlled senate, they'd vote them out. :rudy:
Dumbass argument with sophomoric underpinnings. Have respect for the audience.

C-.

King Kreole

Daps
You’re just proving my point.

“My guy is doing what is right so he should push the limits of executive power” isn’t a justification to do so. Regardless, if push comes to shove, he’ll do what he needs to but that won’t and shouldn’t be the first option.

Also, saying “I’m going to get things done” doesn’t mean that he has to accomplish them in the way you see fit. Biden hasn’t even stepped in office and you’ve already determined that he’s weak because he isn’t doing things the way you want him to. That’s bullshyt.
Wait, hold on now. You've expressed contradictory sentiments here. Either Biden doing the right thing isn't a justification for "pushing the limits of executive power" through unilateral student debt cancellation (student debt cancellation isn't pushing the limits of executive power, it's firmly within established bounds of executive authority, but let's put that aside for now) or Biden will "do what he needs to do" when push comes to shove. Are you really asking us to believe that "doing what is right" is a flimsier justification than "well I tried another way first and it didn't work so now it's ok"?

I've determined Biden is weak because he is signaling to us he will follow a weak strategy with defeatist language. That's all we have to go on at the moment. If he walks into office and immediately does the opposite of what he said he would by showing strength and a will to govern, then my opinion will have changed and his charge will be downgraded from felony weakness to misdemeanor lying.

King Kreole

Daps
But what happens to the people in school now or four years after Biden is gone?
Yes, this is a legitimate problem, which is why student debt cancellation should be paired with a robust tuition-free college plan, like Warren and Sanders did in the primary. Biden has actually done much better on that half of the post-secondary reform issue than on the debt cancellation half, but he can go much further to actually address this problem.

Biden Can Give Us Free College Without Congress. But Will He?

Co-equal meaning checking each other’s power. Legislation that actually fixes education vs letting each president move on a whim.

What if the next Republican president taxes those people who have debts forgiven or has future contracts written that only 20% of federal loans can be wiped away?
Yes, ideally Congress would do this good policy. But Congress is broken, so that legislation isn't on the table right now. So either it's enact change through this (non-ideal) path or be satisfied with inaction.

I think Democrats have to stop acting in complete frozen deference to hypothetical future Republican reprisals and just wield power when they have it.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
Yes, this is a legitimate problem, which is why student debt cancellation should be paired with a robust tuition-free college plan, like Warren and Sanders did in the primary. Biden has actually done much better on that half of the post-secondary reform issue than on the debt cancellation half, but he can go much further to actually address this problem.

Biden Can Give Us Free College Without Congress. But Will He?

Yes, ideally Congress would do this good policy. But Congress is broken, so that legislation isn't on the table right now. So either it's enact change through this (non-ideal) path or be satisfied with inaction.

I think Democrats have to stop acting in complete frozen deference to hypothetical future Republican reprisals and just wield power when they have it.

I’m not saying the Dems shouldn’t do anything but simply because the Republicans are broken shouldn’t give rise to the urge to destroy the democracy we are fighting to uphold.

Use executive action but if you only need a Romney and Collins to get legislation done then do that as well.

King Kreole

Daps
I’m not saying the Dems shouldn’t do anything but simply because the Republicans are broken shouldn’t give rise to the urge to destroy the democracy we are fighting to uphold.

Use executive action but if you only need a Romney and Collins to get legislation done then do that as well.
I don't view Democrats doing whatever they can to push through healthy, good policies as destroying Democracy, I see it as saving Democracy. Republicans have already shown themselves to be a death cult who want to destroy society, they've already shot the first, second and third shot in this war. They're not good-faith partners who just have different opinions, they have an ideology that is fundamentally incompatible with a prosperous, healthy society. Democrats need to show the country that they are able and willing to govern, that they're not just a junior partner in the government whose only role is to stop the actual boss' worst proclivities. Immediately kowtowing to rules that the other side just threw in the trash - fake rules that inhibit the ability to materially impact millions of lives for the better - doesn't signal "responsibility" it signals weakness. Biden and the Democrats should blitzkrieg action in any and every avenue possible, not waiting for consent from Mitch McConnell. Inaction will hurt Democrats in future elections, further imperiling their ability to gain access to spaces of political power, condemning the country to the wasteland that Republicans want it to be.