How will America address the Rent crisis for 18-25 yr olds

GetSomeMoney

All Star
Supporter
Daps
There's a reason why the rent is affordable in middle America.

There's no JOBS there.
People follow the resources(aka JOBS)
You all stay with these extremes, I can tell when people haven't been anywhere. You all think every job is in the top 10 cities in America, there are plenty of jobs in the Midwest. There are jobs in cities in middle America and different parts of the south.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
What are you talking about?? There are no jobs in Indianapolis? Detroit? Cleveland? Columbus? Cinncianati. Face it yall make the same threads complaining about the same areas. OP is talking about NYC. If you aren't living in the desirable areas then its a "Sundown Town" according to one poster. The places you all keep bringing up are the places everyone brings up. I live in the suburbs of Detroit and there are plenty of places that are still affordable that aren't in the "hood" or a "Sundown town" and places looking for workers. Brehs complaining about high rent in NYC is like a broken record, that issue didn't start with the pandemic. In fact, rent prices actually went down comparing 2020 to 2021 in NYC. Do wages need to increase? Of course but everyone is asking Atlanta and San Diego to provide more affordable housing but don't want to move to Columbus or Indianapolis because its cold or could be a "boring city". The market doesn't give a shyt, get your paper up to live in Atlanta the way you would like, get roommates or find somewhere more affordable.

Rental-Industry-2021_V3_Onsite-Image-copy-2-1024x768.png
You really don’t get it? The reason those areas have housing is because they don’t have the economic engines to force higher wages. There are well paying jobs everywhere. But if you only have one company with well paying jobs( which is what manufacturing did) then somebody is going to be left behind just because there aren’t enough chairs.

Mississippi has low cost housing. It also has major poverty and low wages.

I’ve never lived anywhere near any of these major cities besides Charlotte, NC. It’s not about party schools or clubs. People want economic mobility and versatility. The days of working 60 years at Ford Motors are over. Yeah, you may start off at Target or Walmart, but people want to be able to move on. Secretary to something with better pay.

edit: I’m not sure how you can be from Detroit and not know this. The auto companies wrote the book on how to stagnant wages when they realized how well they were paying people.

Last edited:

BEN23

All Star
Daps
Who gives a fukk?

18-25 year olds should be spending their time in College, Trade School, Apprenticeships, etc gaining skills for the future. That "YOLO" lifestyle the media promotes are for people who wasted their youth and working 70 hours a week at a low income job that they hate

And if you want to move out there are plenty of low cost of living cities in the Midwest or Great Plains United States

YOLO in your 20s is the number 1 cause of people 40+ struggling in life

what you said made zero sense and correlates nothing with the thread title....
your talking to your self:gucci:

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
what you said made zero sense and correlates nothing with the thread title....
your talking to your self:gucci:

The OP's topic was about young people not able to live on their own and "live it up". Which is what is referring to

Try harder at dap fishing

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
This type of grandstanding is annoying to read while there is essentially no real left in this country. What are you gonna do? Get the dsa to cut his head off?

Mobilize and do so from the ground up

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
my older cousins, siblings, etc were living the young single fun life back in the 2000s for like $700-900 a month while just working retail jobs or other low earning nonprofessional occupations, now its my turn and we have to cough up damn near $2000 a month to live respectably. :gucci:

I’m in New York, the DIRTIEST crappiest oldest apartments are starting for $1600. That may/may not include pests, water issues, noise, impossible parking etc.

I have a decent corporate deskjob income, college degree, and im STILL stressed hunting for a new crib, idk how everyone else is even enjoying their 20s and dating around, traveling with these prices:francis::picard:

Boomers and those old politicians need to jailed for handing us the country like this.
We aren't, at least not the male half

igottabaldhead

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Tri State Area
Who gives a fukk?

18-25 year olds should be spending their time in College, Trade School, Apprenticeships, etc gaining skills for the future. That "YOLO" lifestyle the media promotes are for people who wasted their youth and working 70 hours a week at a low income job that they hate

And if you want to move out there are plenty of low cost of living cities in the Midwest or Great Plains United States

YOLO in your 20s is the number 1 cause of people 40+ struggling in life

:gucci::gucci:
Having a healthy, independent, 20s is not just YOLOing and partying. You can’t date like an adult living at home (majority of people meet their spouse in their 20s, newsflash), you can’t comfortably have adult guests any given day of the week to form better bonds and memories, you can’t comfortably be at peace in your own thoughts and ideas away from distraction etc.
there’s nothing wrong with my Generation (Gen Z) wanting to have independence, it’s not about some party like you’re talking about. It’s unhealthy for a 27 year old man to still be asking mommy and daddy if it’s ok for him to do something, or giving updates on his moves like a child etc

also, EVERY generation before ours got to experience this freely and cheaply, while we have to suck it up, just because ??? Nah

Last edited: