How soon until the NFL makes this mandatory for players in games?

Black Mamba

Superstar
Daps
I've always said they should go with no helmets because defenders wouldn't foolishly launch head first anymore if they had no protection. Running Backs aren't going to lower their heads like a battering ram. It would decrease Concussions by a significant amount.
:mjtf: :mjlol:

OperationNumbNutts

Superstar
Daps
For people who aren't gonna click and read, the link says that even though rugby is a slower, less vertical sport with no hits above the shoulders and a rule that you can only do wrap-up tackles....they STILL have a higher concussion rate than football. Which pretty much deads the "no helmet is better" argument.

You could likely argue that football concussions are undercounted/underreported, but rugby concussions could be undercounted/underreported as well.

The only way to limit concussions is to change the culture (stop gassing up big hits), change the rules (get even more strict about banning hits led with and to the head, possibly even for offensive players), get better helmets, or stop playing football.
I read article and still a skeptic. I'm not going to lie. My argument is most injuries are the result of helmets because what's meant to protect players is also used as a weapon.

concise

Veteran
Daps
I read article and still a skeptic. I'm not going to lie. My argument is most injuries are the result of helmets because what's meant to protect players is also used as a weapon.

Ok ... but we know Tua has already had 3 concussions this season and none of them involved him getting hit in the head with another player's helmet.

OperationNumbNutts

Superstar
Daps
Ok ... but we know Tua has already had 3 concussions this season and none of them involved him getting hit in the head with another player's helmet.
That's only one case dude. :comeon: You can also argue players get injured from artificial turf with is also correct but you can't minimize he damage helmets can and does cause.

Illin Degenerate

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
For people who aren't gonna click and read, the link says that even though rugby is a slower, less vertical sport with no hits above the shoulders and a rule that you can only do wrap-up tackles....they STILL have a higher concussion rate than football. Which pretty much deads the "no helmet is better" argument.

You could likely argue that football concussions are undercounted/underreported, but rugby concussions could be undercounted/underreported as well.

The only way to limit concussions is to change the culture (stop gassing up big hits), change the rules (get even more strict about banning hits led with and to the head, possibly even for offensive players), get better helmets, or stop playing football.
then look at the inadvertent clashing of heads in soccer and imagine that on a football field or the times when a player gets tackled and the back of his head violently hits the turf and now theres no helmet to absorb any of that impact.

Tua woulda been hurt regardless. Aint nobody trying to watch games with dat shyt
i dont think youre going to see any event or data that forces their hand or that anyone in power who will push for something that will be so visually jarring. youre more likely to just see advancements that are safer but close enough to traditional helmets.

concise

Veteran
Daps
That's only one case dude. :comeon: You can also argue players get injured from artificial turf with is also correct but you can't minimize he damage helmets can and does cause.

then look at the inadvertent clashing of heads in soccer and imagine that on a football field or the times when a player gets tackled and the back of his head violently hits the turf and now theres no helmet to absorb any of that impact.

Helmets don't prevent concussions, they are there to prevent skull injuries.

Daps
How much benefit does this even have?
None. No helmet can guarantee protection against brain trauma because the brain is like a semi-fluid in constant motion in the skull. Helmets cant do anything about that. All they do is protect against external injuries and internal bruises outside the vicinity of the skull. They don't work against concussions. If anything, they could make concussions worse

duncanthetall

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WHODEY/BIGBLUE/SNOWGANG/MIDNIGHTBOYZ
None. No helmet can guarantee protection against brain trauma because the brain is like a semi-fluid in constant motion in the skull. Helmets cant do anything about that. All they do is protect against external injuries and internal bruises outside the vicinity of the skull. They don't work against concussions. If anything, they could make concussions worse
Yeah but a piece of skull jutting through the brain is probably worse. How about we stop this stupid ass no helmet discussion. That would be a completely different game than football as we know it.

Daps
Yeah but a piece of skull jutting through the brain is probably worse. How about we stop this stupid ass no helmet discussion. That would be a completely different game than football as we know it.
I never mentioned anything about no helmet only that helmets don't prevent concussions which is a fact.

concise

Veteran
Daps
I thought you bumped this thread because guardian caps will now be a legal option for anybody that wants to wear them in a game.

They'll probably wait to see what it looks like on tv before they make adjustments and make them mandatory.

Striving For Greatness

Get Certs or Die Tryin
Daps
200w.gif