How much trouble is Sony really in?

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Sony's fine

As long as they get a couple 1st party games out a year and they are bangers they ok.

Until like 2023...

Then it gets real depending on Microsoft 1st party games. If fun, triple A games are on game pass day and date and random 3rd party games...

Sony is in trouble then.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They will be fine. We’ve seen paradigm shifts like this in other entertainment industries.

Sony and Nintendo are most likely evaluating their own GP like service, what would work for them and monitoring the actual demand from the general consumer for such a product.

This is the correct and reasonable answer, but you know we don't do that out here.

People panicking over The Show, or acting like it's some sort of deathblow need to chill. Basically, MLB made a decision they thought benefitted all parties, with themselves benefitting the most.

Because if we're being petty about it, the two most talked about games for XBox are a third party multiplaform game that they paid to give away for free (Outriders), and a game developed by a Sony studio that they also paid to give away for free. That's..........less than ideal.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This is the correct and reasonable answer, but you know we don't do that out here.

People panicking over The Show, or acting like it's some sort of deathblow need to chill. Basically, MLB made a decision they thought benefitted all parties, with themselves benefitting the most.

Because if we're being petty about it, the two most talked about games for XBox are a third party multiplaform game that they paid to give away for free (Outriders), and a game developed by a Sony studio that they also paid to give away for free. That's..........less than ideal.

Apparently not

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
They will be fine. We’ve seen paradigm shifts like this in other entertainment industries.

Sony and Nintendo are most likely evaluating their own GP like service, what would work for them and monitoring the actual demand from the general consumer for such a product.

Sony and Nintendo wouldn’t survive putting their games on a service day one for free. NIntendo is a gaming company, they don’t have the ability to transition to services, unless their theme park is a hit like Disneyland its most likely gonna stay primarily a gaming company.

Sonys cofffers aren’t large enough either. They’ve already said that the cost of making AAA games is already taking a toll on the industry. It cost 100’s of millions of dollars to make something like TLOU or Death Stranding, or even 3rd party games like Avengers. They can’t afford to take a hit on their biggest money maker.

I honestly don’t think gamepass will be sustainable at 10 dollars a month once Microsoft start releasing AAA games on teh caliber of Sony’s titles either. It’s a great deal now because the xbox divisions last 7 years were dismal and they need to win back customers. I don’t think sony and especially nintendo are gonna jump at upping their subscription models anytime soon.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Sony and Nintendo wouldn’t survive putting their games on a service day one for free. NIntendo is a gaming company, they don’t have the ability to transition to services, unless their theme park is a hit like Disneyland its most likely gonna stay primarily a gaming company.

Sonys cofffers aren’t large enough either. They’ve already said that the cost of making AAA games is already taking a toll on the industry. It cost 100’s of millions of dollars to make something like TLOU or Death Stranding, or even 3rd party games like Avengers. They can’t afford to take a hit on their biggest money maker.

I honestly don’t think gamepass will be sustainable at 10 dollars a month once Microsoft start releasing AAA games on teh caliber of Sony’s titles either. It’s a great deal now because the xbox divisions last 7 years were dismal and they need to win back customers. I don’t think sony and especially nintendo are gonna jump at upping their subscription models anytime soon.

sooo then sony is in trouble but just not now?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
sooo then sony is in trouble but just not now?

I think the entire industry is in trouble because the cost of games are continually rising and customers are demanding cheaper entry to play them. More subscription models probably mean more AA GAAS.

Instead of getting a Game of Thrones Or Westworld, we’re gonna get Arrow and Love is Blind.

What do you see happening first, a higher price to play games, or smaller budgets?

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
What do you see happening first, a higher price to play games, or smaller budgets?

we already seeing/paying a higher price to play games and from sony PS5 first party games ironically :francis: the only third party exceptions are cold war and 2k

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
we already seeing/paying a higher price to play games and from sony PS5 first party games ironically :francis: the only third party exceptions are cold war and 2k

Yeah, and sony is doing that because they are actively spending an obscene amount of money on their first party games and they’ve been doing that for years already. Microsoft is taking the cost to the head for now for customer acquisition, it’s just a fee they’re willing to expend to grow their user base. We already saw a precursor to them raising the cost of live gold, which was bad look and right now they have been smart to spend the extra money to be the consumer friendly company.

I think they are looking to hit a specific number of subscriptions before they hit the switch.

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
technically gamepass is not free. Sony will be fine as long as they move into a subscription model focus like pretty much every other software company is doing...security software...adobe...daws...apps...visual media...music........gamepass...

if not, and soon it will be problematic for them. because they will be left with an outdated and unsustainable model, never getting the upper hand on retail, piracy and the used games market. something the whole industry was chasing their tails trying to figure out not even 10 years ago. and will be left holding the bag for the costs associated with all that. I mean even steam is looking a little :hamster: at this point without a subscription service

the show is just a sneak peek. predictive programming. I'd be more worried about Microsoft money bagging for the foreseeable future, on top of actually future proofing their business

Last edited:

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz

this is why I said evaluate what works for them. Maybe every game does not hit PS now day one. Maybe the big games like god of war are subsidized for ps now members and instead of paying 69.99 you pay 49.99 to stream day one. Maybe they hit the service 60 days later.

Or maybe games become more episodic/compartmentalized like we are seeing with final fantasy 7 remake.

Could be a combination. Who knows.

there are ways to work the numbers. We’ve seen companies like Disney playing with this during the rona.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yeah, and sony is doing that because they are actively spending an obscene amount of money on their first party games and they’ve been doing that for years already. Microsoft is taking the cost to the head for now for customer acquisition, it’s just a fee they’re willing to expend to grow their user base. We already saw a precursor to them raising the cost of live gold, which was bad look and right now they have been smart to spend the extra money to be the consumer friendly company.

I think they are looking to hit a specific number of subscriptions before they hit the switch.

ohhh so sony already in trouble and you think microsoft will soon be too?

8.TRES

All Star
Daps
nah tell them dropping god of war will fix everything so they do that shyt asap

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
ohhh so sony already in trouble and you think microsoft will soon be too?

I mean they’re still making a lot of money so no they aren’t currently In trouble, but I don’t think what either company is doing is sustainable long term if video games keep getting bigger budgets like hollywood movies. Unfortunately, the problem is the user base. People want to brag and wet their pants over how realistic and how good graphics are, its like console dikk measuring but we also wants consoles to be 400-500 dollars, we demand they have a ton of features, we demand they make games cheaper for us to play, so it’s almost like ticking time bomb.

Gamers are the most entitled customers ever. We constantly demand more for less.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
nah tell them dropping god of war will fix everything so they do that shyt asap

If sony dropped bloodborne at 4k/60fps everyone would forget the last two weeks of bad PR lol

Sony’s marketing team is sleep right now. Insomniac is like Lebron James in the finals, and the rest of the starting line up and the coach is sick with covid or injured.

giphy-downsized.gif

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I mean they’re still making a lot of money so no they aren’t currently In trouble, but I don’t think what either company is doing is sustainable long term if video games keep getting bigger budgets like hollywood movies. Unfortunately, the problem is the user base. People want to brag and wet their pants over how realistic and how good graphics are, its like console dikk measuring but we also wants consoles to be 400-500 dollars, we demand they have a ton of features, we demand they make games cheaper for us to play, so it’s almost like ticking time bomb.

Gamers are the most entitled customers ever. We constantly demand more for less.

oh so we’re the trouble?