How much trouble is Sony really in?

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
I don't think Sony is in real trouble, but the Gamepass is a legit success for XBox and I think this console war will be closer then the last generation.

5 is selling at a faster rate than the 4 which obliterated the X1. :unimpressed:

There is no competition.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
5 is selling at a faster rate than the 4 which obliterated the X1. :unimpressed:

There is no competition.
One company wants to get you to buy a proprietary box and that box is at the heart of everything they do. The other company wants you to subscribe to a service. You can buy their box or you can sub and use the service on a different device they don't really care as long as they get the sub. At this point the Xbox Series consoles are just another vector for them to get Game Pass subs and get people introduced to that ecosystem.

The real number is 23 million. That's how many subs they have to that service. Taking it back to April 2020 it was 10 million. In a year they 2.3x their number of subscribers.

I keep trying to tell people you look at all the other major forms of media and they all transitioned to the same business model. Even in gaming multiple publishers have launched such services like EA and Ubisoft. This is happening whether people like it or not.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
One company wants to get you to buy a proprietary box and that box is at the heart of everything they do. The other company wants you to subscribe to a service. You can buy their box or you can sub and use the service on a different device they don't really care as long as they get the sub. At this point the Xbox Series consoles are just another vector for them to get Game Pass subs and get people introduced to that ecosystem.

The real number is 23 million. That's how many subs they have to that service. Taking it back to April 2020 it was 10 million. In a year they 2.3x their number of subscribers.

I keep trying to tell people you look at all the other major forms of media and they all transitioned to the same business model. Even in gaming multiple publishers have launched such services like EA and Ubisoft. This is happening whether people like it or not.

Microsoft still has not confirmed that 23 million btw

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
Game Pass reminds me of this phenomenon:

Interpassivity - Wikipedia

"An example of interpassivity, given by Žižek, in his book How To Read Lacan, uses the VCR to illustrate the concept. The VCR records a movie (presumably to be watched later). However, Žižek argues that since the VCR can record, people who own them watch fewer movies because they can record them and have them on hand. The VCR does the watching of the movie so the owner of the VCR can be free not to watch the movie. Žižek uses the VCR to demonstrate the big other's role in interpassivity. The VCR, like canned laughter in a show, functions as a tool interacting with itself so the viewer can not watch the show."

Xbots just like the idea of Game Pass as a whole, but not any individual game. They like the "library" in all its glory, like watching it grow, but the truth is anyone who wanted to play Skyrim or Fallout did so 6 or 13 years ago. Game Pass interacts with games so they don't have to.

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
yeah sony's next steps for the next 5 years will determine PlayStation's longevity