How much did Hoegan damage Bret Hart’s legacy?

Love Sosa

Superstar
Daps
Fumbled some good moments sure but I don’t think he did any damage to his legacy at all. Also Bret was a huge name in the 90s. Not on the Hogan/Austin/Rock level but he was the most popular wrestler they had in between Warrior and Austin. Bigger than Lex, Yoko, Shawn, Diesel, even Taker back then.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Bret was a different story b/c he ran into the Hogan problem in '93 and then when he came to WCW in '97-98 Bischoff had no idea what to do w/him. But that's a whole different thread altogether.

Bret was pushed hard in WCW. He simply just didn't get over and the WCW audience wasn't into him like that. Even his pop on his first night was lukewarm.

In the WWE, he was a big fish in a small pond. In WCW, he wasn't a top 10 name nor a top 10 worker.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Fumbled some good moments sure but I don’t think he did any damage to his legacy at all. Also Bret was a huge name in the 90s. Not on the Hogan/Austin/Rock level but he was the most popular wrestler they had in between Warrior and Austin. Bigger than Lex, Yoko, Shawn, Diesel, even Taker back then.

Bret wasn't bigger than any of them except Shawn & Yokozuna.

You can say Luger in WWF, because the WWF fumbled Luger but Luger name was greater regardless via WCW & NWA.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
He got an enormous pop when mean gene died.
That's not consistent..Hogan been getting booed for awhile. Even back at the 2008 HOF when Rock tried to give him props...WM XXX was the last time he was really good with the crowd...I think him and Bryan had that celebration on Smackdown after he won the belt but he's been getting silence and boos for awhile...even recently.

Bret definitely gets universally cheered these days..thats undeniable. Is it as big Rock and Austin? No but he is the good guy in the screwjob..had a stroke...lost his brother. Fans aren't gonna get on Bret's ass for no reason.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
That's why house show numbers doubled and ratings were up in 96 that makes sense

That's because the roster and overall product improved in 96.

Especially when Warrior came back. People tapped back in just for him.. wrestlemania 12- half the crowd left after his match.

Of course, but I still think being upper midcard in WWF 98-01 does more for his public perception than being at the top of the WCW card at the same time.

What did the WWF do for bret's legacy for all those other years?

Too many excuses.

Bret was the champ most of 94 and it was so bad they put the belt on Bob Backlund and Diesel because Bret couldn't draw. Vader was never supposed to beat Shawn at Summerslam he was supposed to beat him at Survivor Series but he was replaced by Sid.

Naw

Vader was supposed to win the strap at summerslam and drop it to the warrior not long afterwards.

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
Bret was pushed hard in WCW. He simply just didn't get over and the WCW audience wasn't into him like that. Even his pop on his first night was lukewarm.

In the WWE, he was a big fish in a small pond. In WCW, he wasn't a top 10 name nor a top 10 worker.
No he was not pushed hard. What are you talking about? I just revisited all that 97-99 shyt and wasn’t directly in any of the main event angles. His character was on an island and made no sense. They brought him in to announce he was going to be a guest referee for Larry Zbyzko and Eric Bischoff. Whoopee! What a great way to introduce the reigning WWF champion. Then there was the nonsense in the Starrcade main event, then he has a brief friendly legend vs. legend angle with Flair. Then his character meandered back and forth and made no rhyme or reason. He was a face, then an enforcer for justice, then a NWO heel briefly, then a loaner heel. Then he flirted with turning face and got the crowd on his side a bit only to turn heel again. And the whole time he complained about Hoegan ducking him. The first title shot he got was for the TV title like 7 months into his run. It was atrocious F- booking and WCW had no clue what to do with him. I know you live to be a contrarian here, but this isn’t even really debatable.

Love Sosa

Superstar
Daps
Bret wasn't bigger than any of them except Shawn & Yokozuna.

You can say Luger in WWF, because the WWF fumbled Luger but Luger name was greater regardless via WCW & NWA.
Ain’t no way, Bret was a huge star internationally and dude was on the simpsons in its peak

I’m also not even talking about drawing necessarily but in terms of recognition

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
No he was not pushed hard. What are you talking about? I just revisited all that 97-99 shyt and wasn’t directly in any of the main event angles. His character was on an island and made no sense. They brought him in to announce he was going to be a guest referee for Larry Zbyzko and Eric Bischoff. Whoopee! What a great way to introduce the reigning WWF champion. Then there was the nonsense in the Starrcade main event, then he has a brief friendly legend vs. legend angle with Flair. Then his character meandered back and forth and made no rhyme or reason. He was a face, then an enforcer for justice, then a NWO heel briefly, then a loaner heel. Then he flirted with turning face and got the crowd on his side a bit only to turn heel again. And the whole time he complained about Hoegan ducking him. The first title shot he got was for the TV title like 7 months into his run. It was atrocious F- booking and WCW had no clue what to do with him. I know you live to be a contrarian here, but this isn’t even really debatable.

Listen, Bret was pushed hard indeed and he really didn't even deserve it. He never stood out or got over. Real WCW fans don't wanna hear that chit yall be talking. Keep that nonsense in the WWE Universe. Lol.

Again, you dudes didnt really watch WCW in real-time, and you're applying WWF logic to a totally different promotion.

This was a main event push by WCW standards. In the WWF, they get 2 or 3 guys and have them go over everybody, no matter how ridiculous the circumstances are. Not to mention, WCW had the goat roster at the time, including a dozen guys who could main event any PPV at any moment. Even if your match was 5th on the card, it was prolly apart of that main event mix......and yes, the television title had main eventers holding it at times......AGAIN, yall did NOT watch WCW.

Bret mad cuz bischoff didn't hold his hand and let him run chit. On reality, nischoff gave him more than he deserved. He should've never been would champ, should never gave went over sting and others. I'm tired of wwf fans a ting like they were WCW experts. I'm shutting all this chit down.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Ain’t no way, Bret was a huge star internationally and dude was on the simpsons in its peak

I’m also not even talking about drawing necessarily but in terms of recognition

You're talking company placements and smoke-n-mirrors bro.

His name don't ring out as far as most of those other names you mentioned.

Only point you made was maybe internationally, but you could say that with alot of guys. How did that work out for Dino bravo, or even nakamura to a lesser extent?

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
Listen, Bret was pushed hard indeed and he really didn't even deserve it. He never stood out or got over. Real WCW fans don't wanna hear that chit yall be talking. Keep that nonsense in the WWE Universe. Lol.

Again, you dudes didnt really watch WCW in real-time, and you're applying WWF logic to a totally different promotion.

This was a main event push by WCW standards. In the WWF, they get 2 or 3 guys and have them go over everybody, no matter how ridiculous the circumstances are. Not to mention, WCW had the goat roster at the time, including a dozen guys who could main event any PPV at any moment. Even if your match was 5th on the card, it was prolly apart of that main event mix......and yes, the television title had main eventers holding it at times......AGAIN, yall did NOT watch WCW.

Bret mad cuz bischoff didn't hold his hand and let him run chit. On reality, nischoff gave him more than he deserved. He should've never been would champ, should never gave went over sting and others. I'm tired of wwf fans a ting like they were WCW experts. I'm shutting all this chit down.
You literally said nothing in those lengthy paragraphs. Bret was not pushed hard by any means considering he was Bret Hart and the WWF champion and I detailed why. You didn’t even try and refute any of the points I made. You just reiterated your false claim that he was pushed hard.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
They brought him in to announce he was going to be a guest referee for Larry Zbyzko and Eric Bischoff. Whoopee! What a great way to introduce the reigning WWF champion. Then there was the nonsense in the Starrcade main event, then he has a brief friendly legend vs. legend angle with Flair. Then his character meandered back and forth and made no rhyme or reason.

Lol @ this sense of entitlement that yall have. You think WCW fans cared that he was just WWF champion? LOL. If they did, he would've got a huge pop when he debuted, but the crowd really didn't care like that. Yall love to ignore that part tho.

Also, stars used to come into different territories and promotions as special referees and enforces all the time. Even the WWF did that chit themselves.

He had to be friendly with the Flair feud, because the fans were siding with heel Flair over him in every city. And Bret still went over him. But let yall tell it. Lol.

You literally said nothing in those lengthy paragraphs. Bret was not pushed hard by any means considering he was Bret Hart and the WWF champion and I detailed why. You didn’t even try and refute any of the points I made. You just reiterated your false claim that he was pushed hard.

You didn't detail anything.

WCW fans didn't give a f*ck that Bret was WWF champion. The fact that you think Bret being WWF champion is some sort of arguing point, tells me all I need to know about your perspective.

The funny thing is, when the shoe is on the other foot, yall don't say a thing. I never see any threads about how the wwf dropped the ball with say a lex Luger, who would've made way more money for Vince than Bret, Shawn and them. Yall never say nothing about that chit and we know why. There's no wwf influenced documentaries pushing narratives for yall to regurgitate.

Last edited:

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
I randomly asked one of my co-workers who her favorite wrestlers was back in the day, and I was expecting the standard answer (Hogan, Rock, Austin, Cena, Flair), but she legit surprised me when she said Bret Hart. Bret's one of those wrestlers that you wouldn't think casual fans would remember for some reason, but everyone does.

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
Lol @ this sense of entitlement that yall have. You think WCW fans cared that he was just WWF champion? LOL. If they did, he would've got a huge pop when he debuted, but the crowd really didn't care like that. Yall love to ignore that part tho.

Also, stars used to come into different territories and promotions as special referees and enforces all the time. Even the WWF did that chit themselves.

He had to be friendly with the Flair feud, because the fans were siding with heel Flair over him in every city. And Bret still went over him. But let yall tell it. Lol.

You didn't detail anything.

WCW fans didn't give a f*ck that Bret was WCW champion. The fact that you think Bret being WWF champion is some sort of arguing point, tells me all I need to know about your perspective.

The funny thing is, when the shoe is on the other foot, yall don't say a thing. I never see any threads about how the wwf dropped the ball with say a lex Luger, who would've made way more money for Vince than Bret, Shawn and them. Yall never say nothing about that chit and we know why. There's no wwf influenced documentaries pushing narratives for yall to regurgitate.
Yeah again, you said nothing. You claimed he was booked strong. I outlined how he was not booked strong and his angles were :trash: (probably cause he was cockblocked by Hoegan).

You can’t defend your claim about his booking because he was booked horribly and everybody knows it.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Yeah again, you said nothing. You claimed he was booked strong. I outlined how he was not booked strong and his angles were :trash: (probably cause he was cockblocked by Hoegan).

You can’t defend your claim about his booking because he was booked horribly and everybody knows it.

this is the part where you shouldve been listing a bunch of WCW wrestlers who were booked stronger than bret........actually, you shouldve did that 2 or 3 posts ago, but you really not bout chit.

and you already showed your hand with the whole "bu bu but bret hart was the reigning WWF champion" nonsense, as if thats supposed to hold any weight in WCW; especially considering that WCW was kicking the WWF's ass.

and lol @ the bolded. who is this everybody??? WWF fans?? LOL. theres a reason why you never see ACTUAL WCW FANS saying bret was under-utilized in WCW. if anything, they will tell you that he was over-utilized. but of course, youve been avoiding this conversation throughout our entire exchange.

just be real with yourself and stop fakin the funk.

Last edited: