How much did Hoegan damage Bret Hart’s legacy?

julesocean

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
In your head..fans never bought that. His charisma led to some fantastic failures.

Okay pick anyone with more charisma than Bret. Are you denying that's what he was missing?? Or do you honestly think he's a complete package and should be on the Mount Rushmore???

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
No. The one thing Bret was missing wasn't a win over a legend, or a win over THE MAN in the business. He was missing that extra bit of charisma that would have really complimented his in-ring prowess. That extra bit of charisma that would have took his promos from passable to great... Bret wrestled intense, but had no attitude outside of that.

Everything Shawn had basically, not to turn this into Bret vs. Shawn because I fukks with Bret more, but he was just lacking some charisma. He would have been HUGE regardless of who he beat if had had that PLUS his insane wrestling skill.
His name was the Hitman breh. He wasn't gonna ever be an overt charismatic person. Even his personal demeanor wasn't that.

julesocean

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
His name was the Hitman breh. He wasn't gonna ever be an overt charismatic person. Even his personal demeanor wasn't that.

Yes, and in wrestling, to me, the BEST wrestlers were the most charismatic. Rock wasn't A1 in the ring, but charismatic as all hell, and in my books he's Mount Rushmore and rated way above Bret.

Everyone right now regards Bret as a legend, all time great in the ring, but probably not top 5 for most. The premise of this thread is that he could have pushed up into that tier if he had gotten a win over Hulkkk.

I'm saying it wouldn't have mattered, and he needed extra charisma in some area of his game to be revered in that top top tier.

like you guys forgot what you were debating about...

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
Okay pick anyone with more charisma than Bret. Are you denying that's what he was missing?? Or do you honestly think he's a complete package and should be on the Mount Rushmore???
They both bombed..what are you trying to prove? Bret, Shawn, Cripple H, Blandy, Nash..these guys didn't draw.

julesocean

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
They both bombed..what are you trying to prove? Bret, Shawn, Cripple H, Blandy, Nash..these guys didn't draw.

If you think people remember their GOATs by looking up attendance and gauging drawing power, you need to stop listening to Meltzer because you are ruining wrestling for yourself.

For most people, how legends are remembered is by their character, charisma, how fun it was to watch them on tv...

Is this why y'all think Bret isn't revered as highly as he should be????

He's a legend top tier, but not GOAT Mount Rushmore top 5, and it's because lack of charisma because he was GREAT in the ring. If you think a Hogan win would have made up for that, and people really would ranked him to Rushmore status because he got a win over Hogan in the the early 90s, I don't really have much more to say in this thread.. :what:

(for the record, loved Bret growing up and is in my top 10)

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
If you think people remember their GOATs by looking up attendance and gauging drawing power, you need to stop listening to Meltzer because you are ruining wrestling for yourself.

For most people, how legends are remembered is by their character, charisma, how fun it was to watch them on tv...

Is this why y'all think Bret isn't revered as highly as he should be????

He's a legend top tier, but not GOAT Mount Rushmore top 5, and it's because lack of charisma because he was GREAT in the ring. If you think a Hogan win would have made up for that, and people really would ranked him to Rushmore status because he got a win over Hogan in the the early 90s, I don't really have much more to say in this thread.. :what:

(for the record, loved Bret growing up and is in my top 10)
Whoa...Bret Hart is definitely more loved than Shawn, Hogan right now.

All that Hogan stuff you're talking about? It don't matter to me.

julesocean

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Whoa...Bret Hart is definitely more loved than Shawn, Hogan right now.

All that Hogan stuff you're talking about? It don't matter to me.

So then you were talking a lotta shyt that has nothing to do with the OP, and you agree with me?

Use any wrestler who you think has more charisma than Bret, you don't have to get hung up on my example for consecutive posts... Everything is a "hate on this person" or a "this guy vs that guy" with you...

If you don't wanna talk about the OP premise, then talk about what I suggested, and what was Bret missing to be revered higher in terms of legacy????

Raw Sauce

Superstar
Daps
Not that simple. After the screw job, he definitely had a light on him. He went over Austin all the time. He definitely could of been spotlighted differently.
Of course, but I still think being upper midcard in WWF 98-01 does more for his public perception than being at the top of the WCW card at the same time.

JQ Legend

Veteran
Daps
I can see Bret as top 5

Not even sure who my top 5 would be :jbhmm:

HBK
Mr Perfect

and 3 of the following

Bret
Flair
Savage
Rock
Austin
AJ

It woulda been dope to see him beat Hoegan in 93 but I don’t think that would have improved his legacy nor do I think it hurt it by not happening

showtime

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Idk about that... (I'll check) but Shawn was supposed to lose the title as early as SummerSlam to Vader. From late 94-95 Kevin Nash was champ and business was bad so that was on Nash not Bret.

@10:10

Regarding Shawn Michaels' "Drawing power" in the

Bret was the champ most of 94 and it was so bad they put the belt on Bob Backlund and Diesel because Bret couldn't draw. Vader was never supposed to beat Shawn at Summerslam he was supposed to beat him at Survivor Series but he was replaced by Sid.

showtime

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Wanna know who "bombed" and is the worst draw in wrestling history Eddie Gurrero :russ:

Cartier Murphy

Apathy’s a Tragedy & Boredom is a Crime
Daps
To say it hurt his legacy is to act like he didn’t get many more big legacy moments later on, including being in 2 of the most pivotal moments in wrestling history. Tapping out Hoegan in 93 would’ve been a good look, but I think his career turned out fine in spite of not doing it