How many of y'all moved on from hip hop and into electronic music?

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
I've moved on from hiophop, but i'm trying find more artists like Silk Sonic, something fresh but kinda retro. Mature but fun.
Any recommendations?

Dont@Me

😡
Daps
I don't get the idea of even still being stuck on genres like that. Listen to everything. I can never abandon good music. So no I won't stop seeking out good hip hop. There's absolutely no reason to take a hardline stance about a genre of music in 2022. That's outdated.
Never said I took a hardline stance, I just naturally don't like it as much as other genres and my taste changed.

Dont@Me

😡
Daps
Rap is probably only like 10% of my listening now.

I can't stomach most of the content anymore. I can barely listen to rappers even like Lamar and Cole due to the profanity and NWORD's in their music.

I've started listening to jazz heavy in the past 5 years.

I've even started listening to more and more gospel..

Southern soul music also:

Rap just doesn't do anything for my spirit. Had to move on.

Yea I really don't even like j Cole and Kendrick.... felt a bit like watered down underground artists I used to like. I can't relate to the N word being used so liberally anymore either especially when there's so substance around it. However, I was listening to an older song that was all hype and no substance, and I still got juiced from it because it has so much more talent.
Electronic music :mjlol: foh , I wish I would bump that trash

Even tho it’s fallen off there’s still plenty of good hip hop hus kingpin,griselda,Mach hommy,Rome streetz, rigz,tha god fahim,nas still dropping dope shyt or Tyler the creator or a boogie wit da hoodie if you like melodious music
Used to listen to a lot of his the kingpin, but just about every song he says, "yo bytch...." and i even predicted it a few times. He fell off to me and I much prefer when he was in Tha Connection. Royale and Thunderball just hit differently.
Electronic music is the foundation for the first inception of what would become hip hop,before the term was invented. It was called space and the influence of bands like Kraftwerk,Yello orchestra, UK New wave/post punk bands made for a vast musical landscape you could pull from. That was effectively killed off by sampling legislation and a departure from the unspoken rules that encouraged artists to find new ways to be creative. House music in it's essence never abandoned those principles until the era of the superstar DJ became the vehicle to whitewash an entire genre that was basically a sibling to hip hop. I fell in love with house music in the 90s and watched it get whored out to the white boy network of DJ'S, promoters and record executives. The term underground nowadays just means white executives haven't found a way to vampire off your sound.
I actually saw a couple of black houses DJ'S and was wondering why tf they're not bigger and there is a channel that strictly promotes black house dj's . Lemme see if I can find it.
I've moved on from hiophop, but i'm trying find more artists like Silk Sonic, something fresh but kinda retro. Mature but fun.
Any recommendations?
I gotchu. Gimme a second.

MasterThought

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Any recommendations?

I suggest listening to or downloading the KPVU station app:

Radio – KPVU 91.3

This station is a gem. R&B, alternative R&B. Fresh but retro and mature type of music you're talking about. Lots of underground type artists you won't hear on mainstream stations.

I've discovered soooooo many great songs from this station. I listen to it all the time.

I think you'll like it.

Bushmaster69

Superstar
Daps
Listened to EDM, a long time ago. Mostly trance and house . Also stopped listening to hip-hop/rap for the past almost 7- 10 years now. Will only check it out if J.Cole or Kendrick Lamar drops an album.

Now I mostly listen to Congo Rhumba / Amapiano / Afrobeats/ Gengetone.... pretty much African music.

• Dap
Reactions: MMS

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
One more time by Draft Punk is the GOAT CAC song. Fitting it came out in summer 2001, like the ending song of the GOAT decade (2000 and pre 9/11 2001 was 90-ish) love that song so much.

I didn't hear it until many years later :mjcry:

got put on to them by some haitian connections back in the day :banderas:

Daps
Reppin
NYC
I got a couple of hip hop playlists on my Spotify, mostly old shyt and some new shyt mixed in. Most of my music is guitar based blues, funk, and reggae. Lately I've been messing with dream pop just to experiment. I got me a Chorus CE-2W pedal and an Avalanche Run pedal which does jazzy/dream pop/ambient chords really well. Also copped an Axe I/O Solo with Amplitube DAW and another console app, after procrastinating for so long I'm finally moving on to record my shyt. I'm moving towards being an old head, so hip hop doesn't move me the way it used to.

:manny:

I'm one of them, only check for legacy hip hop acts these days like Nas, Lloyd Banks, etc.

This is my favorite song out right now...

Sampled a 90s classic :banderas:

You got a playlist breh? Put me on.