How many of y'all moved on from hip hop and into electronic music?

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
People have probably been wanting me to contribute to this thread so...here it goes.

I have been DJing since 1999 and producing since 1997. I came up listening to hip hop and lived in a household that played everything but I gravitated towards house & techno in the late 90s.

Being a first gen African...i find House to be the most African American music there is. Its just a natural thing to me.

I still love hip hop and its the foundation of my musical background but my passion and bread and butter is there now.

:yeshrug:

Plus I just like it cause its relatively positive

And stop calling that shyt CAC music. Black people created House Music and Techno.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
I don’t keep up with all the drill shyt but I like fivio and pop smoke.
Still some emcees with production that nods to golden era and various regional sounds.
Denzel Curry, Isaiah Rashad, JID, etc

Legends still active and rappers that blew up when I was highschool like Curren$y making dope music.

New School making bangers without mumbling like Larry June, G Perico, etc.

Bryson Tiller got dope sample flips, sure not the style we’re used but they’re done well. Sorrows beat is nice!

I’ll bump classics and other well sample flipped based hip hop the most but nah stil a lot of dope shyt out.

Dont@Me

😡
Daps
IDK
Samiyam, FlyLo etc. all incorporated sound design into their Hip-Hop (and of course FlyLo would go well past that...)

I'd just do whatever I like sonically with all kinds of sound design and ignore what OTHER PEOPLE think, as long as fits
within a Hip-Hop context.

Not just that but I'm really moved by colorful voicings, dope progressions and interesting harmonic/melodic ideas over
Hip-Hop beats.
Dudes like Alfa Mist or Robert Glasper are :blessed:

I think we're just looking at this fundamentally different, which is fine :yeshrug:

:blessed:
Amplitube is gang.
:blessed:
I run my bass and strat straight into the sound card.
Add the Chorus + Reverb and :blessed:

How is the Axe-IO ? I usually run my Multi-Fx straight into the sound card when I want effects like Wah
but if the Axe-IO is THAT GOOD, I'm going to go ahead and cop one.
you know you're right, and i absolutely consider FlyLo and Samiyam pretty much a combo of hip-hop/electronic.....but i'm saying what is actually RECOGNIZED as hip-hop by most people (not saying they're right AT ALL). it's fukked up because they're some of the greatest i think, but they don't exactly get that kind of recognition that they deserve within the HIP-HOP genre. Am i wrong? I'm genuinely curious about this, but maybe it's just my perception.

Dont@Me

😡
Daps
I don’t keep up with all the drill shyt but I like fivio and pop smoke.
Still some emcees with production that nods to golden era and various regional sounds.
Denzel Curry, Isaiah Rashad, JID, etc

Legends still active and rappers that blew up when I was highschool like Curren$y making dope music.

New School making bangers without mumbling like Larry June, G Perico, etc.

Bryson Tiller got dope sample flips, sure not the style we’re used but they’re done well. Sorrows beat is nice!

I’ll bump classics and other well sample flipped based hip hop the most but nah stil a lot of dope shyt out.
I've tried to like Denzel Curry, used to like isiah rasad and JID and even curren$y, but now even though i can recognize the skill of cats like JID and listen to their good songs ONCE (but most likely never get back to them), i think something within me changed to where i still can't enjoy it as much. I haven't heard of Larry June and G perico, so good looks on name dropping, because i can see we have similar hip hop tastes, because i find bryson tiller talented and the production is dope as well as the vocals even though it's "newer" sounding...i don't discriminate based on timeframe.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
I've tried to like Denzel Curry, used to like isiah rasad and JID and even curren$y, but now even though i can recognize the skill of cats like JID and listen to their good songs ONCE (but most likely never get back to them), i think something within me changed to where i still can't enjoy it as much. I haven't heard of Larry June and G perico, so good looks on name dropping, because i can see we have similar hip hop tastes, because i find bryson tiller talented and the production is dope as well as the vocals even though it's "newer" sounding...i don't discriminate based on timeframe.
I listen to R&B, Soul a lot. Like some jazz, house/edm, afrobeats. I’m patient and passionate with hip hop still. The magic isn’t the same as a teen but I’m 27. I love the old school too.

Sometimes I be rapping to myself the coldest lines from Run

Ah, once again my friend, not a trend for then
They said, rap was crap, but never had this band
Till the ruler came with a cooler name
Made ya dance and prance and drove the fans insane

Rakim had the bars but Run had flows and DMC was ill with his delivery. Loud ass nikka.
R.I.P Jam Master Jay
One day I’m have some adidas on in Hollis Ave like that British nikka who made pilgrimage to O Block and shed tears of joy :mjcry:

Last edited:

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
I started making beats and was saying to myself I wanna make dance beats but have a swing to it like Teddy riley....something no one's is doing right now

Sure enough that is basically HOUSE music:pachaha:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
All my life I've been all about late 70's, 80's and early 90's love songs. I've probably been playing those more than hip-hop the last few years. I'll post some later.

Dance music though, loved this era:

Pedro Negro

Reefer & Sneakers
Daps
Reppin
New York fukkin' City
I listen to everything, but find myself tuning into hip-hop less and less these days. You’ll find me listening to rock or metal or Bad Bunny or something more now than anything Hip Hop related.

Uchiha God

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I mostly listen to Afrobeats, R&B and jazz, these days

I only listen to hip-hop when I’m in the gym

:yeshrug:

Mister Terrific

It’s in the name
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Me. I just don’t identify with what most of these dudes be saying these days. I listen to Denzel Curry, Vince Staples and oldies of course, but otherwise it’s EDM, Lo-Fi and punk.