How Many Artists Can You Name That Totally Changed Music After Their Arrival?

Bop Gun

Turn Me Loose, We Shall Overcome
Daps
Reppin
210 via 201
Black Eyed Peas (after signing Fergie). That's when Wll.I.Am. blew up.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
i see the Wayne influence but I feel like thug and future were the poster boys for prioritizing harmony and “vibe” over actual lyrics though neither of them started off that way. I feel like how you said things became way more important that what you actually said. For better or worse, mostly worse.

the other newer person I didn’t see mentioned was chief keef. That should be self explanatory.
Future came out like 4-5 years before Thug. That title goes to Future.

Daps
DJ Hollywood - first MC to rap over break beats. He gets overlooked because of Kool DJ Herc.
1*s89x5SC9tD42LWdETUrQ_Q.jpeg

James Brown - influenced Prince, Michael Jackson, Bootsy, playing on the 1, to all entertainers today.
James-Brown-Tami-Show1.jpg

The Teenagers and Frankie Lymon - the first teenage "boy band", precursor to Jackson, New Edition, Backstreet Boys, all of them.
frankielymonteens-56d4fa3a5f9b5879cc92ad60.jpg

Otis Blackwell - fathered Elvis's style and wrote some of his hits. This would be like today when one artist does a reference track for another and they blow up.

Little Richard - birthed Rock and Roll.

Mac Ten

Class of 97 !!!
Daps
Reppin
B-More
Lil Wayne and Gucci Mane for the 2010's

I'm seeing many clones of em. Cats used to clown Gucci while bigging up Jeezy. Now it's vice versa whereas Jeezy is getting clowned.

In the current day, Chief Keef.

Now everyone and their momma wants to still be making Drill songs with their own knockoff DJ L & Young Chop.

Akademiks also played a part in immortalizing Chief Keef, Lil Reese, Durk, and Fredo.

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
Michael Jackson changed the game in that labels gave their artists bigger budgets for music videos...also a music video with a story concept . Before thriller and shyt even some time after a music video was just the artist or band on a empty Soundstage or warehouse or whatever in front of a cheesy green screen...the green screen was only if they had the money.

If I'm not mistaken Mike came out of pocket for Thriller.

The Jackson were innovative in their music videos and always had the cutting edge brand new technology

Peep Can You feel it videos and 'Leave Me Alone'

Sauce Dab

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Why do people keep mentioning Nirvana when they just copied the Pixies? :dwillhuh:
Y’all naming artists but don’t really know what they changed, you probably just heard it once and ran with it. Y’all gotta give some reasons for some of these artists

rantanamo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Trying think if anyone successfully mixed r&b and hip hop so successfully as early as New Edition. So seamless it wasnt even thought of.