How Many Artists Can You Name That Totally Changed Music After Their Arrival?

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I struggled with your 2-4 as well. LL however set the template of a rapper being balanced but I don’t know if you saw the ripple effects of that instantly as rap itself was a different ball game in them days. I don’t know if Ye’s kids musically started to pop up immediately either. It took a couple of years for his influence to really be revealed. I’m not mad at your list at all tho

State your case for Tina

As far as Tina Turner I can't think of another high energy female performer before her. Her sound was unique and if listen and that time was often attempted to be duplicate but never on her level.She is literally the blueprint that Beyonce uses.

The thread said changed music. If you don't see how LL literally made artist realise rap for women. Women buy music in bigger droves than men.

Kanye made nerd rap cool. It's why drake got a pass for wearing bill Cosby sweaters etc...

Cowboyz89

#WeDemBoyz Season Has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Fukk Trump
Wiz Khalifa used to be the skinniest drug dealer and shooter in the game.
Once he saw the popularity of Kush and Orange Juice he became a full time stoner rapper and never looked back.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Bass God: James Jamerson!

sitsom-book-jpg.456521

ShaDynasty

Chaos Theory Part 1 - The Album
Daps
This thread could be a lot of repeated answers, but:

The Beatles
Miles Davis
P-Funk
King Crimson
Black Sabbath
James Brown
David Bowie
Talking Heads
Michael Jackson
Mary J Blige
Wu-Tang Clan
The Notorious BIG
Timbaland
Radiohead
Daft Punk
Aphex Twin
Beach House
Kanye West
Drake
Lil B

I cut a few people out to make it concise, but these are all artists where I can hear their influence on others, and in many cases people just straight up bite their style.

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
Prince and his usage of the Linn Lm1 Drum computer. Biggest artist at the time to use a drum machine heavy in his music.

His usage of replacing actual brass arranged by say a legend TOM TOM 84 with synth brass seemed to become standard in pop music after Prince and 1999. Before then artist would get Tom Tom 84 if you wanted some killer brass/horn in your music.

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
Eddie. Van Halen changed guitar..

Everyone after him had to learn how to tap and shred especially in the LA ROCK scene. Everyone was looking for a guitars who could shred fast and tap after Eddie.

The whole 80s guitar scene was influence heavy by him..he changed the way you had to tab guitar parts too. In regards to notating divebombs and tapped notes.

Last edited: