how long does it take to learn boxing and get good at it? when you started were you ass

ThaBoyBam

You don't respect your jaw!
Daps
Is burpees enough to get into boxing cardio shape or do you need to run

Both ideally. Mad push ups. I would do push up in between rounds on the bag.

What most people don’t realize, keeping your hands up becomes extremely difficult at the begging. If you’re new to training, your shoulders are going to fail early. I’m talking mid way into the first round. That’s how you will get killed :russ:

That’s without throwing a single punch by the way.

I trained consistent for 4 years. I do bag work at the crib now. I began to train BJJ just based off the crazy shyt brehs would say on here :russ:

ThaBoyBam

You don't respect your jaw!
Daps
It depends on your level of fitness and the gym your at.

A shytty gym will have you wearing gloves and hitting bags within a month or two.

A really shytty gym will have you sparring within 6 months.

A real boxing gym isn't like a fitness gym. They might have you doing workouts and conditioning for months before you actually try on gloves. You gotta be able to handle the conditioning, pushups, jogging, dips. Then they actually get you on the footwork. Learning how to move like a boxer. That in itself is something that takes about 6 months. You should learn your forward steps, your lateral steps, backward steps, then circling. Really about 6 months of those just to get the understanding, then another 6 months of putting it together like a fluid dance. This is without gloves,

Then once you get fluid in that and aren't tripping over your feet, getting winded (which you won't because you should 1-2 years under your feet) then you get the gloves and start learning the proper way to throw punches, and incorporating them in your dance. Once you can keep your feet moving, and throw your punches without tripping, stumbling, stopping (freezing) then you can start hitting the bags and other modalities. Then learn combos. Then they start getting you out there with others.

A lot of people think this is too slow. And they'll quit or find a gym that moves faster, throws them into shyt they aren't ready for and tries to work the kinks out.

Everyone's situation is different.

Edit: and I can speak on it because I went to a gym that cardio and footwork were an afterthought. So for years I learned to throw punches and jump rope and dip, but footwork, long term cardio, defense was after. They were basically looking for hitters. People they could get into tournaments or sign. So if you had that pop or power and were quick with the hands they were very interested in training you. They didn't really mold people that were interested.

That’s another thing. Footwork is paramount. I can look at someone’s footwork and tell if they nice or not.

My first gym was all footwork and shadow boxing for the first 4 months.

I recommend looking at Mike Tyson videos for footwork. He don’t get credit for his technical ability but his footwork was next level. Fast as shyt.

WaveWhisperer

Stainless Steel
Daps
Reppin
Steel
You cant shortcut this. Alot of people make the mistake of thinking running will keep them throwing punches to make it even three rounds, thats another kinda cardio.

Your shoulder stamina is one of the most important things you need to focus on . Hammer that down so your arms dont feel like sledgehammers when you are actually in the ring sparring.

Breathing patterns so you dont gas out in the the first round sparring. Your first and second time sparring you should focus on defense mostly and jabbing .

Learning how to control your power while punching, that shyt takes time to learn and be proficient doing it is another thing.

Wildin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Are there any good guides out there on how to get boxing fit? What should someone be able to do before starting footwork?

Yea, I imagine YouTube doesn't have a shortage at all.

You can learn how to move, and you can practice it because it doesn't require a lot of room at all, you can literally do it anywhere any time. It's literally like a dance like samba or salsa. You can practice the steps anywhere, if you want to incorporate them into boxing, that's where you have to have the cardio and conditioning because like most dances.....I'm sure you've seen a routine on America's got talent, or whatever award show or tv show, talent show where people are dancing for 5-10 mins straight and you can seem them panting, breathing hard (although most are holding their composure) but you're like damn, they just worked their ass off....

Yeah they have the conditioning to be able to do so. That and they know how to move and can do it blindfolded.

You really want to have a solid cardio base. If your cardio isn't good, you won't make it through the workouts. The workouts aren't hard, they're strenuous so if you can get a jump rope and work your way up to jumping for 1hr straight, non stop you'll be good. Your feet and ears will become in sync with the rope, tripping and messing up will subside fairly quick 2-3 days. Standing double foot jumps, single foot jumps, marching, jogging, sprinting, single leg jumps, high knees, butt kicks.

Once you got the rope down and are able to keep your feet moving, use the rope as a warm up, then a cool down.

[Beginning]
15min jump rope
30 min jog
15 min jump rope

And the jog is just that, a jog, not a run, not a race, not a 5k. The goal is to keep your feet moving, keep breathing, keep pacing yourself for 30 minutes. Not like track and field.

Once you can hold pace and not die.

That's when you'll want to do your footwork movements for 10-15 mins straight. Orthodox, southpaw, side to side (lateral) front to back, circling, pivots. That's going to warm up your feet, legs, really get your mind right.

Then hit your run. 30 mins, 45, 50, 55, an hour.

Then cool down with the rope, 5, 10,15

when did footwork become second nature for you? were you terrible at it starting off or did you still have an idea of fundamentals?

Footwork is still not second nature to me. I know the steps, I can move. I can dip, dodge, and use my blocks while moving. But I still have to consciously think about it. I think where I'm going to go or which direction, and then which foot to move first. It's a pain in the ass, but I only think about this when fighting/sizing up someone who's been in a gym. To people that've never been in a gym they think I'm super nice.

If you've been in a gym you can evaluate how nice someone is because you know what they're supposed to know and either you know they know it or you know they don't know shyt, and if they know something do they know more or less than you.

It's really like learning how to shoot threes, nail you free pointers, put the ball in the bucket from all over the floor, hit layups then you get the ball and you gotta dribble and run, but your handles are fukking remedial.

africngiant

All Star
Daps
You can learn how to move, and you can practice it because it doesn't require a lot of room at all, you can literally do it anywhere any time. It's literally like a dance like samba or salsa. You can practice the steps anywhere, if you want to incorporate them into boxing, that's where you have to have the cardio and conditioning because like most dances.....I'm sure you've seen a routine on America's got talent, or whatever award show or tv show, talent show where people are dancing for 5-10 mins straight and you can seem them panting, breathing hard (although most are holding their composure) but you're like damn, they just worked their ass off....

Yeah they have the conditioning to be able to do so. That and they know how to move and can do it blindfolded.

You really want to have a solid cardio base. If your cardio isn't good, you won't make it through the workouts. The workouts aren't hard, they're strenuous so if you can get a jump rope and work your way up to jumping for 1hr straight, non stop you'll be good. Your feet and ears will become in sync with the rope, tripping and messing up will subside fairly quick 2-3 days. Standing double foot jumps, single foot jumps, marching, jogging, sprinting, single leg jumps, high knees, butt kicks.

Once you got the rope down and are able to keep your feet moving, use the rope as a warm up, then a cool down.

[Beginning]
15min jump rope
30 min jog
15 min jump rope

And the jog is just that, a jog, not a run, not a race, not a 5k. The goal is to keep your feet moving, keep breathing, keep pacing yourself for 30 minutes. Not like track and field.

Once you can hold pace and not die.

That's when you'll want to do your footwork movements for 10-15 mins straight. Orthodox, southpaw, side to side (lateral) front to back, circling, pivots. That's going to warm up your feet, legs, really get your mind right.

Then hit your run. 30 mins, 45, 50, 55, an hour.

Then cool down with the rope, 5, 10,15

Footwork is still not second nature to me. I know the steps, I can move. I can dip, dodge, and use my blocks while moving. But I still have to consciously think about it. I think where I'm going to go or which direction, and then which foot to move first. It's a pain in the ass, but I only think about this when fighting/sizing up someone who's been in a gym. To people that've never been in a gym they think I'm super nice.

If you've been in a gym you can evaluate how nice someone is because you know what they're supposed to know and either you know they know it or you know they don't know shyt, and if they know something do they know more or less than you.

It's really like learning how to shoot threes, nail you free pointers, put the ball in the bucket from all over the floor, hit layups then you get the ball and you gotta dribble and run, but your handles are fukking remedial.
thank you bro i had moved too fast while transitioning into a punching conditioning drill and completely forgot what i just learned about my footwork when my turn came to hit the instructors pads

looked like a complete dikkhead. i gotta take a conscious effort to think things through slowly before i go through every movement for now on

africngiant

All Star
Daps
update: stg i stayed back today for the groups sparring session to solo practice on the bag for first time for a few rounds

coach and teammates got impressed seeing me hit the bag during their spar and tagged me to join if had a mouth guard but i didnt lmao

africngiant

All Star
Daps
1 hour a day shadow boxing starting today for 60 days + regular classes

i was supposed to start my challenge the beginning of this month but been feeling out of it

4 months in so far. great improvements but haven’t sparred yet though
going on day 8💢🫡