how long does it take to learn boxing and get good at it? when you started were you ass

Bonk

God’s Son
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
In Da 15th
It varies depending on the individual.

Some people are natural fighters & they tend to pick it up quickly. But there are some who pick things up gradually. So, you won’t know what you’re until you get in there & start learning.

However, on the average, it’s going to take 6-18months albeit there are people that will look good within 3months. You also have to be very disciplined.

east

Screwed up... till tha casket drops!!
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx ➡️ New England
it's never too late unless you're planning to go pro, and yeah you're gonna be awful when you start out, it took me like six months before i was allowed to spar for the first time
i want to confidently hold my own against anyone, win or lose. and to not doubt anything im doing in the process. even if its against someone whose boxed for a few years

i was wondering if there was anyway to expedite the process of getting better with an advantageous drill
then you'll need to box for a few years :russ:

nah but for real if speedrunning "survive against a superior boxer" is the goal i'd focus the most on cardio (if you're not the better boxer, outwork him), then handspeed/footspeed drills

edit: also drilling the basics the most... ik it sounds boring but getting off a limited offense on autopilot does present you with some advantages against someone who has to think in the ring cause they didn't do all their thinking during training

Last edited:

africngiant

All Star
Daps
It varies depending on the individual.

Some people are natural fighters & they tend to pick it up quickly. But there are some who pick things up gradually. So, you won’t know what you’re until you get in there & start learning.

However, on the average, it’s going to take 6-18months albeit there are people that will look good within 3months. You also have to be very disciplined.
how long did it take you to permanently correct your stance. mine was very off the first session. did you practice it at home for a long time starting off?

africngiant

All Star
Daps
it's never too late unless you're planning to go pro, and yeah you're gonna be awful when you start out, it took me like six months before i was allowed to spar for the first time

then you'll need to box for a few years :russ:

nah but for real if speedrunning "survive against a superior boxer" is the goal i'd focus the most on cardio (if you're not the better boxer, outwork him), then handspeed/footspeed drills
my boxing footwork is terrible i gotta work on that. feels so unnatural
:francis:

Bonk

God’s Son
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
In Da 15th
how long did it take you to permanently correct your stance. mine was very off the first session. did you practice it at home for a long time starting off?

My elder brother was training for years before I started training as well. So, I already learnt the basics from him at home & I knew what I was doing before I started training due to muscle memory.

Once you know the right stance - just practice it & do regular shadow boxing on your own. And muscle memory will do the rest for you.

Wildin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
It depends on your level of fitness and the gym your at.

A shytty gym will have you wearing gloves and hitting bags within a month or two.

A really shytty gym will have you sparring within 6 months.

A real boxing gym isn't like a fitness gym. They might have you doing workouts and conditioning for months before you actually try on gloves. You gotta be able to handle the conditioning, pushups, jogging, dips. Then they actually get you on the footwork. Learning how to move like a boxer. That in itself is something that takes about 6 months. You should learn your forward steps, your lateral steps, backward steps, then circling. Really about 6 months of those just to get the understanding, then another 6 months of putting it together like a fluid dance. This is without gloves,

Then once you get fluid in that and aren't tripping over your feet, getting winded (which you won't because you should 1-2 years under your feet) then you get the gloves and start learning the proper way to throw punches, and incorporating them in your dance. Once you can keep your feet moving, and throw your punches without tripping, stumbling, stopping (freezing) then you can start hitting the bags and other modalities. Then learn combos. Then they start getting you out there with others.

A lot of people think this is too slow. And they'll quit or find a gym that moves faster, throws them into shyt they aren't ready for and tries to work the kinks out.

Everyone's situation is different.

Edit: and I can speak on it because I went to a gym that cardio and footwork were an afterthought. So for years I learned to throw punches and jump rope and dip, but footwork, long term cardio, defense was after. They were basically looking for hitters. People they could get into tournaments or sign. So if you had that pop or power and were quick with the hands they were very interested in training you. They didn't really mold people that were interested.

Last edited:

adexkola

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
A real boxing gym isn't like a fitness gym. They might have you doing workouts and conditioning for months before you actually try on gloves. You gotta be able to handle the conditioning, pushups, jogging, dips.

Are there any good guides out there on how to get boxing fit? What should someone be able to do before starting footwork?

BrothaZay

Non-FBA. AdosK
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The suburbs
You shouldn’t have a problem finding a good gym. Best way to tell if a gym is legit or not is by asking when you will be able to spar. If they say anything less than at least 3-4 months of consistent training the gym is trash imo. Of course there’s exceptions if you nice. The couple gyms I’ve trained at over the years required 6 months.

It’s so you won’t get killed :russ:

Stamina is everything breh :dame:
Is burpees enough to get into boxing cardio shape or do you need to run

Sauce and Footwork

Superstar
Daps
I won’t be negative because I think it’s dope. You can always get better. And if you actually Love the sport, getting beat up in sparring not about to make you say fukk this, because it’s part of the game and can make you better if you commit to doing so.. but it takes time and discipline and commitment.

It’s like when my boot camp instructor told us “all of you bytch ass mf who grew up shooting guns with hicks or with papa need to forget everything you fukking learned about shooting because you don’t know anything about aiming a weapon and shooting a weapon until the military teaches you”. And they were right.. This basically applies to anyone who grew up fighting outside the ring. Fights make you tough, but unless you Deonte Wylder with sledgehammer hands, you gonna get killed if you don’t learn fundamentals… and that starts by stepping in the gym. But hey you could end up whoopin ass and surprise yourself…Good luck

adexkola

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Charlie Murphy:

Oh yeah? Ok, ok I'ma tell you what's gonna happen. You'll be over there for about 6 weeks, and out of nowhere, some dude's gonna come up to you, and start telling you, be like uh, "How long you been boxing for... really? Awww man you nice man you nice! We oughta spar sometime!" He's gonna fukking, he's gonna amp you all up to get you into the ring so he can try out a bunch of shyt that he does, that he's not dumb enough to try out on a professional boxer, and he's gonna beat the fukk outta you.

africngiant

All Star
Daps
It depends on your level of fitness and the gym your at.

A shytty gym will have you wearing gloves and hitting bags within a month or two.

A really shytty gym will have you sparring within 6 months.

A real boxing gym isn't like a fitness gym. They might have you doing workouts and conditioning for months before you actually try on gloves. You gotta be able to handle the conditioning, pushups, jogging, dips. Then they actually get you on the footwork. Learning how to move like a boxer. That in itself is something that takes about 6 months. You should learn your forward steps, your lateral steps, backward steps, then circling. Really about 6 months of those just to get the understanding, then another 6 months of putting it together like a fluid dance. This is without gloves,

Then once you get fluid in that and aren't tripping over your feet, getting winded (which you won't because you should 1-2 years under your feet) then you get the gloves and start learning the proper way to throw punches, and incorporating them in your dance. Once you can keep your feet moving, and throw your punches without tripping, stumbling, stopping (freezing) then you can start hitting the bags and other modalities. Then learn combos. Then they start getting you out there with others.

A lot of people think this is too slow. And they'll quit or find a gym that moves faster, throws them into shyt they aren't ready for and tries to work the kinks out.

Everyone's situation is different.

Edit: and I can speak on it because I went to a gym that cardio and footwork were an afterthought. So for years I learned to throw punches and jump rope and dip, but footwork, long term cardio, defense was after. They were basically looking for hitters. People they could get into tournaments or sign. So if you had that pop or power and were quick with the hands they were very interested in training you. They didn't really mold people that were interested.
when did footwork become second nature for you? were you terrible at it starting off or did you still have an idea of fundamentals?

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
more importantly ...

how long before a breh can throw words online like a champ, while maintaining no hands offline like a true TLR breh :patrice: