how long does it take to learn boxing and get good at it? when you started were you ass

africngiant

All Star
Daps
An ass load of time, you need to be consistent . Id say three years youll be decent, thats a whole nother level of cardio and stamina. When i started i was slow as fukk throwing blows. Today im slightly better but still a ways to go before i would call myself decent.
how many years have you done? what’s your setup for days a week & how many hours for each session?

are you better *relative to the average person or were you comparing yourself to your boxing mates

africngiant

All Star
Daps
I've been wanting to do this but I can't commit the time...
i had to drive straight from my job. i still came in late starting out but they usually do mondays and wednesdays 6-7 for striking techniques then 7-8 padwork so i can definitely make those days luckily

ThaBoyBam

You don't respect your jaw!
Daps
6 months of consistent training would get you right no matter what level you’re starting at if you train at a decent gym. Now you wouldn’t be super nice but you could wash someone untrained fairly easily of endurance and stamina alone.

mag357

Superstar
Daps
If you aren't trying to compete... you definitely will be cool.
To get good at boxing... it'll take years.
To be able to be better than the average joe blow on the street less than a year. 6 months depending on how much work you put in
What area are you in?

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
i had to drive straight from my job. i still came in late starting out but they usually do mondays and wednesdays 6-7 for striking techniques then 7-8 padwork so i can definitely make those days luckily
Your job is likely the same every day 365. Mine isn't and I have years to go before having better control of it.

At this very moment, I could make it consistently but I don't want to start and stop.

africngiant

All Star
Daps
Your job is likely the same every day 365. Mine isn't and I have years to go before having better control of it.

At this very moment, I could make it consistently but I don't want to start and stop.
i see. yeah im working the regular 9-5 it’s about an hour commute. we left early today and i still came in a little late cause of traffic.

when its time for you, you’re gonna kill it breh

WaveWhisperer

Stainless Steel
Daps
Reppin
Steel
how many years have you done? what’s your setup for days a week & how many hours for each session?

are you better *relative to the average person or were you comparing yourself to your boxing mates
Three years,I compared myself to my peers . 3 times a week and sparring once a week, shouldnt hard spar often

Sessions are 1-2 hours depending on what you are doing.

Im better than the average person as far as cardio and stamina to last longer than the average fight and how to correctly throw a punch .

africngiant

All Star
Daps
If you aren't trying to compete... you definitely will be cool.
To get good at boxing... it'll take years.
To be able to be better than the average joe blow on the street less than a year. 6 months depending on how much work you put in
What area are you in?
just outside of philly. yeah im just looking to take it as a hobby and tool

the owner himself trains alongside some ufc fighters and is friends with a low level one who’s 2-0. there’s a few homegrown fighters in the gym with low undefeated amateur records too.

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
when you started were you ass with your posture and coordination? as a kickboxer. am i starting too late as a 23 y/o?

what drills can i do to get ahead the learning curve?

What do you conisder as good an what are trying to achieve?

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Thank you for this thread OP .. been thinking of taking up boxing or any other self defense training. Also thanks for the tips everyone

Stop thinking find a craft, stick to it and direct all questions to people you will be sharing a gym with