how hard is it to build your own PC?

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps
Damn, that sucks. I got damn near everything on sale. My power supply comes today and my case tomorrow.

:steviej:

they hit me with the okey doke :pachaha:

Had some $50 16GB RAM and a nice Mobo on deck for about $65. I'm gonna stalk Slickdeals thru the weekend to finish my build.

Feels like a lot but I only need a CPU (got it in mind) a MOBO and some RAM

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

Tha Snowman

Rookie
Daps
Had a cart fulla shyt and almost all of it went back to regular price. Did cop the Fractal Design Midi case though

$60 Newegg.com - Fractal Design Arc Midi Black High Performance PC Computer Case w/ USB 3.0 and 3 x Fractal High Performance 140mm fans

Guess my journey will be a little longer than Golden Gloves since the most of my shyt went back up.

I'm gonna do a short term build by building my server first with a Intel G540 socket 1155 chip then build my desktop when the i5 i7 comes down a little

You're setting up a separate box for server duties? Unless you're running virtualized desktops or something, that's really not necessary. If you're really concerned about any performance hit from serving files, just pop in a drive specifically for serving the network. You're much better off dumping that extra money into one box.

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps
You're setting up a separate box for server duties? Unless you're running virtualized desktops or something, that's really not necessary. If you're really concerned about any performance hit from serving files, just pop in a drive specifically for serving the network. You're much better off dumping that extra money into one box.

I fully understand that. I NEVER said I was concerned about performance from serving files. I'm just ready to build a new machine. Serving files doesn't require any real power. I can get by with an ancient P4.

I actually talked myself into another option. I'm upgrading my box and all of the parts in my current machine are obsolete. It works well (currently a hybrid office machine/file share server) so I'm going to use this box as just a file server.

It would be a bigger waste to throw this box in the closet.

Not to mention I cringe at the fact of letting anyone on my box with all of my stuff on it. This gives me an office machine for everyday use and a low maintenance server that will sit to the side.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
how do you install an upgrade on a new system?

(obviously I know there's ways to get an OS for free, but I'm not talking about that)

(edit: and I can buy an xbox for less than $300 that will run Hitman, so I'm not sure what that proves)
The Xbox sucks tho and yeah you might have to resort to some tactics that Microsoft won't like...but all you have to do is install from an old Windows xp/7 disc.

never activate and then clean install Windows 8 on top of that.

Video card would have to be used, but it will be a rock solid ivy bridge upgradeable system that you can build up in the future.

Sent from my LG Nitro using Tapatalk breh

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
For initial installs do I have to have an optical drive?

Tha Snowman

Rookie
Daps
For initial installs do I have to have an optical drive?

Not really. Most ethernet adapter drivers will be included with Windows so you can plug up and download all your mobo/video drivers.

If you have another pc with an optical drive you can also transfer the mobo cd contents onto a flash drive if you want.

For Windows installation you can also use a flash drive. There's a Microsoft provided tool to make a bootable flash drive from a Windows iso file.
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
yeah you might have to resort to some tactics that Microsoft won't like...

oh ok. but that's almost like saying I could put a cheap gaming PC together by stealing shyt from microcenter

if you buy it legit, it's gonna be around $100. and that's pretty significant if you're trying to put together a $300 system

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
oh ok. but that's almost like saying I could put a cheap gaming PC together by stealing shyt from microcenter

if you buy it legit, it's gonna be around $100. and that's pretty significant if you're trying to put together a $300 system
I don't consider that stealing...chances are you already have a windows xp or 7 installation disc around and using it to your advantage