How does The Root feel about The Nation of Islam?

How do you feel?

• I believe it is good and most things about it are positive

Votes: 69 73.4%
  • I believe some of the things about it are good but majority is bad

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • I believe it is negative but is not a hindrance to black advancement

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I believe it is negative and definitely hurts more than helps

Votes: 9 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Big Daddy

Fight or die fighting, no surrender.
Daps
Data shows that references to Islam in hip-hop lyrics, once pervasive, are at an all-time low—while rappers are talking about Christianity more than ever.
chart-1418637469.png

chart-3a2967203896.png

Chart-51125134290.png

What’s behind the change in hip-hop’s religious preference? A change in the people making the music, for starters. The late ’80s and early ’90s were rife with Muslim rappers and others who identified with the Nation of Islam and the Five Percent Nation, two groups that are rooted in Islamic teachings though their members may not consider themselves Muslim. Even rappers outside those groups were using Islamic language that infiltrated mainstream hip-hop. In apaper outlining the relationship between hip-hop and Islam, University of Arkansas anthropologist Ted Swedenburg writes that many Five Percent Nation terms “such as ‘droppin’ science,’ ‘sup G?’ and ‘let me break it down for ya’ have achieved such common currency within the hip-hop community that they have lost their original resonance, at least for fans who know nothing of Islam in rap.”

The best known rappers affiliated with the Nation of Islam, the Five Percent Nation and more traditional Islam include Brand Nubian, Nas, Rakim, Gang Starr, Mobb Deep, Poor Righteous Teachers and several members of the Wu-Tang Clan. Many are still recording and performing in their 40s, but they don’t hold much relevance to hip-hop’s young fan base. Islamic and Islamic-sympathizing rappers are older, less prolific and, in the case of Ice Cube, too busy making bad family movies to preach the gospel of Muhammad or Farrakhan. In their place is a generation of rappers who grew up during a time when the influence of the Nation of Islam and Five Percent Nation was on the wane. They also grew up in a time when hip-hop wasn’t confined to the inner cities where those groups were strongest, meaning religious views in hip-hop have begun to better reflect those of America at large.

It is of no surprise to me that the level of consciousness in rap has coincidentally declined along with the mentioning of Islam and the decline in Muslim/Islamic rappers.

..And I say that not because "Allah" made them conscious.

I don't know that, and I don't really care.

It's the knowledge of self, and the empowerment, and the sense of direction, and the fearlessness, that being under the influence of an NOI "way of living/thinking" gave those rappers, that is what's missing.

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was homeless at 15 for this.

Then i became a criminal because i had no choice,

But once I became an adult.. I started fukking with them heavy. Not joining.... but fukking with them on their pro black ideas moreso than the religious stuff.

Most black homes will push you outside for mentioning islam , farrakhan, noi, or anything related.

This is a sad truth.

Brings me joy every time my mom references the Honorable Elijah Muhammad :wow:

Tapp

All Star
Daps
Data shows that references to Islam in hip-hop lyrics, once pervasive, are at an all-time low—while rappers are talking about Christianity more than ever. Why has rap forsaken one god for another?
Islam-in-Hip-Hop-0012767993049.jpg

chart-1418637469.png

chart-3a2967203896.png

Chart-51125134290.png

What’s behind the change in hip-hop’s religious preference? A change in the people making the music, for starters. The late ’80s and early ’90s were rife with Muslim rappers and others who identified with the Nation of Islam and the Five Percent Nation, two groups that are rooted in Islamic teachings though their members may not consider themselves Muslim. Even rappers outside those groups were using Islamic language that infiltrated mainstream hip-hop. In apaper outlining the relationship between hip-hop and Islam, University of Arkansas anthropologist Ted Swedenburg writes that many Five Percent Nation terms “such as ‘droppin’ science,’ ‘sup G?’ and ‘let me break it down for ya’ have achieved such common currency within the hip-hop community that they have lost their original resonance, at least for fans who know nothing of Islam in rap.”

The best known rappers affiliated with the Nation of Islam, the Five Percent Nation and more traditional Islam include Brand Nubian, Nas, Rakim, Gang Starr, Mobb Deep, Poor Righteous Teachers and several members of the Wu-Tang Clan. Many are still recording and performing in their 40s, but they don’t hold much relevance to hip-hop’s young fan base. Islamic and Islamic-sympathizing rappers are older, less prolific and, in the case of Ice Cube, too busy making bad family movies to preach the gospel of Muhammad or Farrakhan. In their place is a generation of rappers who grew up during a time when the influence of the Nation of Islam and Five Percent Nation was on the wane. They also grew up in a time when hip-hop wasn’t confined to the inner cities where those groups were strongest, meaning religious views in hip-hop have begun to better reflect those of America at large.
Good info breh

Hip-Hop-Bulls

All Star
Daps
They are good for the uplifting of black people but that's about it.

Like any other religion, it's a temporary "fix" or bandaid, but ultimately not the solution for black people or anyone else.

Also, the 5% nation is NOT a split off from the NOI. One is a religion, and one deals with mathematics. We don't dismiss the founder of the 5%(Allah) history with the NOI, but we are not the same. Two totally different nations.

Peace

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
NGE was more interesting to chill with than NOI. Cats were constantly dropping jewels and got me into learning my own peoples' history without all the religious overtones.

Too bad they were more of a street gang where I was growing up. I still converse with some of the 'Older Gods' around my way that are thorough, but haven't encountered any NOI/FOI in quite some time.​

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
They are good for the uplifting of black people but that's about it.

Like any other religion, it's a temporary "fix" or bandaid, but ultimately not the solution for black people or anyone else.

Also, the 5% nation is NOT a split off from the NOI. One is a religion, and one deals with mathematics. We don't dismiss the founder of the 5%(Allah) history with the NOI, but we are not the same. Two totally different nations.

Peace
Aka

Spin off