How do you feel about this Thomas Sowell

OfTheCross

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
Vietnamese, Middle Easterners, Hmong, others…free housing, stipends, jobs lined up…
Easier to start a business when you don’t have to pay rent and have a decent job lined up…

Refugee Act - Wikipedia

Where does it say this? If it all...

How long did it last? If it existed...

The Wiki page has very limited imformation.

What I gleamed from perusing the Act was that we (US Citizens) get more than them on top of having home court advantage (no language barrier)

The Refugee Act

invalid

Banned
Daps
I’m not sure the timeline of all the different riots that happened in Chicago. I know the major riot happened in 1919 and another on the late 60’s after the assassination of King. But sometime between King and the 90’s there may have been one or two more.

I lay all that out to say, I had talked to a few old heads when the George Floyd riots were going on and although many of the rioters did go to white neighborhoods this time and loot, they also came back to their own neighborhoods and strip them bare of what they had left.

All the old heads basically said that businesses never really recovered from the riots that happened after King (again I’m not sure which one) but they said that the riot after that really caused, what was a black community teaming with businesses, to disappear and that they were worried that the Floyd lootings would really set the next few generations back completely when we haven’t even recovered from the other ones.

I didn’t grow up in the city per se (my parents had a weekend condo downtown) but when I drive through places like Chatham, Pill Hill, Avalon Park, streets like 87th, 79th, 75th, 63rd, they are remnants of streets that were obviously bustling centers of black commerce and it doesn’t look like it was that long ago (maybe the 70’s) so something happened. Maybe it was riots, maybe it was other things.

But we shouldn’t be rioting and looting in our own spaces, doesn’t matter who owns, that should be a given to me.

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
What I gleamed from perusing the Act was that we (US Citizens) get more than them on top of having home court advantage (no language barrier)
Language barrier not an issue as they were provided access to English language courses.

“The office must make available resources for employment training and placement for refugees to be economically self-sufficient, provide opportunities for English language training, ensure cash assistance, and guarantee gender equality in all training and instruction.”

We get more?:childplease: I never got free rent nor living stipend nor set up with a job…And I’m not saying they don’t deserve these things…they do and I support it. Just saying that it’s financially easier if you have that provided for you to set aside money for a small start up.

OfTheCross

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Language barrier not an issue as they were provided access to English language courses.

“The office must make available resources for employment training and placement for refugees to be economically self-sufficient, provide opportunities for English language training, ensure cash assistance, and guarantee gender equality in all training and instruction.”

We get more?:childplease: I never got free rent nor living stipend nor set up with a job…And I’m not saying they don’t deserve these things…they do and I support it. Just saying that it’s financially easier if you have that provided for you to set aside money for a small start up.
:what:

Yes.

Just cause you got access to something don't mean it's gonna help you. You have to put in work. That's regarding them learning a whole new language.

Regarding the rent and job setups... here's all the great things they get via the Law:

Upon arrival in the United States, all refugees are met by someone from the local resettlement affiliate or a family member or friend. They are taken to their initial housing, which has essential furnishings, appropriate food, and other basic necessities. The resettlement agencies assist refugees during their initial resettlement in the United States, including enrolling in employment services, registering youth for school, applying for Social Security cards, and connecting them with necessary social or language services.

Reception and Placement - United States Department of State
Basically they get somewhere to stay for 3 months while the government gets helps them with the paperwork. Then they're on their own.

So, we get more than them by a country mile.

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
:what:

Yes.

Just cause you got access to something don't mean it's gonna help you. You have to put in work. That's regarding them learning a whole new language.

Regarding the rent and job setups... here's all the great things they get via the Law:

Upon arrival in the United States, all refugees are met by someone from the local resettlement affiliate or a family member or friend. They are taken to their initial housing, which has essential furnishings, appropriate food, and other basic necessities. The resettlement agencies assist refugees during their initial resettlement in the United States, including enrolling in employment services, registering youth for school, applying for Social Security cards, and connecting them with necessary social or language services.

Reception and Placement - United States Department of State
Basically they get somewhere to stay for 3 months while the government gets helps them with the paperwork. Then they're on their own.

So, we get more than them by a country mile.
Who said any of this doesn’t take work?
:gucci:

And we don’t get more than them…they have paths to citizenships and can get all that we “get” on top of their settlement services/stipend/job. It provides a solid foundation.

And I’m not even sure what you mean by what we “get”? Hell, I pay taxes and GIVE. and never got three months of stipend/rent/services… And where are you even getting three months from and was it three months in the 70s/80s?

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
this is the only black author/thinker white people read. they dont read Walter Rodney or Franz Fanon, or Baldwin, Sankara, etc

He’s only trotted out by conservatives to make a point but they never reference him or his academic work. Just like John McWorther. Or Glenn Loury. These c00ns aren’t respected or on the short list when they need an academic expert.

OfTheCross

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Who said any of this doesn’t take work?
:gucci:

And we don’t get more than them…they have paths to citizenships and can get all that we “get” on top of their settlement services/stipend/job. It provides a solid foundation.

And I’m not even sure what you mean by what we “get”? Hell, I pay taxes and GIVE. and never got three months of stipend/rent/services… And where are you even getting three months from and was it three months in the 70s/80s?

I wanted to emphasize that because you make it seem as if they're gifted success. They're not.

You might be right, though. After that initial 3 months, legal immigrants get the almost all the same benefits as citizens.

That initial 3 months is shyt, though. Don't make it seem as if they're given anything more than a roof over their head and pointed towards the employment office.