how did young Mike get to the basket with such ease?

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
I don't think MJ gets enough credit for how he changed the SG position. When he first got in the NBA, most SGs were about the same size as PGs. MJ was considered a SG/SF hybrid when drafted. Best thing that happened to him was to purely play SG. He was simply too big, strong and quicker than most SGs. the entire league drafted BIGGER SGs as a result of MJ.

He changed everything...

Jplaya2023

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Nique and Doc weren't SG's.

I don't even get your point.

they were all freak athletes who were both bigger and stronger michael (at that point in his career) so why didn't you include them in your point? I'm basically saying Jordan wasn't the first freak athlete to enter the league and revolutionize the game

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
When Jordan attacks watch for that quick crossover he throws in traffic. Dude used it quite a lot, it's just quick change in direction when the defense tries to meet him at the 2nd level.

But can't really summarize it into one concept. What it comes down to is that he really made the best decisions and quickly.

The guy's improvisation to me still hasn't been matched:

It's really just the array of moves: pull-ups, outright dunks, fakes, in-air adjustments, hesitations, quick dribbles, etc.

It all enhances the combination of straight line explosiveness and fluidity/quick decision-making in traffic.

Because of all of the above, dude was absolutely unpredictable, especially when he attacked. Other than the post fadeaways later in his career and some of the baseline reverse layups, how many times do you see the same move twice?

Last edited:

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
they were all freak athletes who were both bigger and stronger michael (at that point in his career) so why didn't you include them in your point? I'm basically saying Jordan wasn't the first freak athlete to enter the league and revolutionize the game

Jordan was a freak athlete at SG. He was much stronger than Clyde and a better playmaker.

I don't have to include anybody you wanted me to add. They didn't have the impact of MJ