how did young Mike get to the basket with such ease?

Bigblackted4

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Eastcleveland
The guy claimed that long 2s are included in his "midrange" numbers, so long twos can't be the excuse.

For non-restricted area 2s to single-handedly be responsible for bringing it down, MJ would have had to shoot 32-33% from that range. That's horrific.

So he'd be claiming that MJ is:

65% from 0-3 feet on 357 shots
33% from 3-10 feet on 198 shots
52% from 10-23 feet on 645 shots

Those numbers are silly as hell. No one's shooting varies that much - he'd simultaneously be the worst guy in the league from 3-10 but the best guy in the league from 10-23.

It would also suggest that MJ wasn't nearly as good at getting to the rim as thought, if he's only getting to the rim about 25% of the time (even including fast breaks!) and even being forced to take a horrible low-percentage shot in the paint a good 17% of the time. But claiming that 60% of Jordan's twos were outside of 10 feet way back in 1993....that feels unlikely.

I don't think those numbers could possibly be real. He's gaming the results, posting great-looking numbers for "rim" and "midrange" because he knows those are the sexy distances that people want, but shuffling all the misses into the "non-restricted area 2s" category and then not posting those results, because he doesn't think anyone will check his math.

It doesn't even have to be overt...it could just be that anytime MJ missed a shortish midrange shot, he "felt" like it was really a 10-foot shot and shouldn't count against his midrange average, but when he made a longish restricted-area shot he would "feel" that it was a midrange shot. When you have a single, heavily-biased person doing all your data collection, ridiculous bias like that works its way in.

I agree in thoery he needs to explain more about the sample. We don’t have enough information to properly judge the sample so your assessment maybe correct. I don’t know why they used that’s when they could have used a real shot chart like this

LiveFromLondon

Superstar
Daps
Question, :mjpls: aint played in damn near 25 years, so why the fukk are American sports fans and media still obssessed about him. Every sports media i see they talk about him and the shyt has me :why::hhh:

Daps
those stats are true breh. it's not a seasonal stat. :mjgrin:

A Breakdown of Michael Jordan’s Impressive Shooting % in 91/92

BIL-MJ-9192.jpg

Last week, a video by Coach Nick of BBallBreakdown about Russell Westbrook not being as good of a “finisher” as you think sparked a lot of conversations about the under and overrated finishers. And since these were basketball conversations, Michael Jordan’s name had to come up. And the person who brought up the GOAT also shared a link to a very interesting message board post by ISH user PHILA about Micheal Jordan and his shooting during the 1991-92 season.

Here’s PHILA on why he chose that season and why he’s only breaking down data from 53 of the 80 games Jordan played in that season.

This was an “average” season from Jordan’s prime, certainly not an outlier for him. Actually, depending on who you ask, this might not even be one of his 3 best seasons. Regardless, the reason I chose this year is due to the game footage availability. I couldn’t find more than 25-30 regular season Bulls games from 1985-1991 or 1993. Same goes for any of the 1980’s Lakers, Celtics or Pistons games. I believe 50+ games is certainly an adequate sample size to give some idea of his impact. I also doubt there is any major highlight bias in this data, except in the raw ppg average and 3 point %. His 2 point FG% is actually deflated in this sample, as is the overall team ORtg/DRtg (though this might also underrate the bench). 1991-92 was also the season Jordan called himself a “utility” player.

Here’s the breakdown on that utlitiy player’s shooting percentages.

Regular Season (53 Games)

At Rim: 233/357 FG (65.3%)
In Paint (Overall): 300/555 FG (54.1%)
Mid-Range: 336/645 FG (52.1%)
3 Point: 21/66 FG (31.8%)

Mid-Range Shooting Stats From Chart:
10 to <16 ft: 155/342 (45.3%)
16 ft to <3-pt: 234/452 (51.8%)

Wow thanks for that graphic bro I've been looking for information related to that for a while. Shooting in the 50's FG% from mid-range is just absurd. Jordan truly is the best midrange shooters of all time. Elite midrange shooters in today's game by comparison, (midrange here defined as shots from 10ft < 3pt line)

Durant : 44.3 FG% from midrange for his career (per basketball reference)
Nowitzski : 47.5 FG % from midrange
Chris Paul : 46.7 FG% from midrange
Steph Curry : 46.1 FG% from midrange

The two biggest names since Jordan

Kobe Bryant : 42 FG% from midrange
LeBron James: 37.6 FG% from midrange

And yet some people will claim that Kobe and even more ridiculously Lebron are comparable shooters to Jordan because of decimal point differences in 3PT %

Jordan's shooting in the 1997 season when he was already clearly past his prime was also in the 50's. Its a shame they didn't track midrange percentages until the 2000/01 season. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that Jordan shot in the 48%-52% FG range from midrange for his career.

It just further exemplifies what made him be the all time leader in regular and post season PPG and how he had so many high scoring games. MJ could drop 40 on mostly midrange jumpers alone with high efficiency. He truly was an unstoppable offensive weapon.

Last edited:

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
How much of your life did I just steal man? :damn:

Neither I nor ANYONE else is gonna read that, you just wasting your time rambling. :heh:

Come on man, you can't have that much time left, make the most of it. :whoa:

You do not have a life.
Stop.
Your life is not even filled with incredible bball because you got YouTube to watch Michael Jordan Nd do not watch Mike. Yet come on here to try to make it like you do and anyone who knows me knows you never watched like that.

If so what channel/Galaxy did the bulls come on in?

Which you will not answer cause you do not know.
It damn sure ain't when either.

Art Barr

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Question, :mjpls: aint played in damn near 25 years, so why the fukk are American sports fans and media still obssessed about him. Every sports media i see they talk about him and the shyt has me :why::hhh:

Everything they do in this country is Michael Jordan from their shoes to the hairstyle.

That is why.

Art Barr

The world is Michael Jordan and ruthless records

Truefan31

Superstar
Daps

what kind of question is this? He's the GOAT. It's because there's been no one else like him, so people are always trying to seek the next time they could possibly be witnessing a player on MJ's level. But 30+years later it's still not there. Plus the media has jobs to save so they latch on to whatever narrative about a possible player being as good as MJ.

The athleticism, the big clutch moments on the biggest stages both offensively and DEFENSIVELY, the competitive will, it's unmatched.

Let me know when a player can do what MJ did in 87-88, 35ppg, led the league in steals with 259 (3.2spg) and have 131 blocks while playing all 82 games.

30+ years later and you still don't even see the famous MJ ball fake:mjlol:

LiveFromLondon

Superstar
Daps
@Truefan31 Name another sport where a former player/goat is obssessed over as much, no still obssesses about Ali, Senna, Ronaldo, Pele, Maradona, Thierry Henry etc

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Wow thanks for that graphic bro I've been looking for information related to that for a while. Shooting in the 50's FG% from mid-range is just absurd. Jordan truly is the best midrange shooters of all time. Elite midrange shooters in today's game by comparison, (midrange here defined as shots from 10ft < 3pt line)

Durant : 44.3 FG% from midrange for his career (per basketball reference)
Nowitzski : 47.5 FG % from midrange
Chris Paul : 46.7 FG% from midrange
Steph Curry : 46.1 FG% from midrange

The two biggest names since Jordan

Kobe Bryant : 42 FG% from midrange
LeBron James: 37.6 FG% from midrange

And yet some people will claim that Kobe and even more ridiculously Lebron are comparable shooters to Jordan because of decimal point differences in 3PT %

Jordan's shooting in the 1997 season when he was already clearly past his prime was also in the 50's. Its a shame they didn't track midrange percentages until the 2000/01 season. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that Jordan shot in the 48%-52% FG range from midrange for his career.

It just further exemplifies what made him be the all time leader in regular and post season PPG and how he had so many high scoring games. MJ could drop 40 on mostly midrange jumpers alone with high efficiency. He truly was an unstoppable offensive weapon.
The graphic is wrong breh, those numbers are made up. :mjlol:

Your numbers are wrong too. :russ:

It's obvious that you went to basketball reference and just averaged the 10-16 number with the 16-23 number straight up. But you can't do that because modern players don't shoot both of those shots at the same frequency. The 10-16 foot shot is a shot Lebron almost NEVER shoots, it's only 10% of his shots. For Kobe it's 17%, for Durant 18%. They don't shoot it nearly as much as they shoot the 16-23 foot shot, so you can't just average out the two equally. Math doesn't work that way.

Here are the numbers for 16-23 foot shots, a shot all of these players take more than they take the 10-16 foot shot:

Kobe: 40%
Lebron: 39%
Durant: 43%

How does MJ compare? We don't know, because we don't have that number.

But I'm not going to believe for a second that Jordan was shooting 52% from midrange in seasons where he only shot 51% on twos overall. :mjlol:

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights
That's so damn false I have no idea what you are smoking. :wtf:

Fool, the NBA used to be ALL White when it started. Even after they started letting Black players in in the 1950s, Bill Russell said there was an understood "quota", where owners only let 2-3 Black players onto each team. In the 1960s many players stated that the quota remained, though it may have been more like 4 Black players allowed per team. After the Civil Rights Act the number of Black players began to increase a lot through the 1970s and 1980s, but the number of White players never dropped below 25% until 1993, hitting a low of 18% in 1995 when the NBA was flooded with new Black players due to expansion. That was the era in which the NBA really began opening up to foreign talent, which moderately increased the number of White players in the early 2000s, but then it began falling back down again and by 2011 the # of White players in the NBA hit an all-time low of 16%, even WITH White players from all over the world included. There was a slight increase up to 2015, but then it dropped again and right now we're damn close to the all-time low.

That don't make no sense.

Imagine that you had a basketball league comprised of all the White people from Texas. They let some Black players play, but for various social reasons not all the Black players are able to participate, because it's Texas, you know?

Then a decade later they expand the league and allow anyone from all over the country to join. Not only do all the Black players get to participate, but there are White players entering in from all over the country. Suddenly there is so much more talent from across the country that the White players from Texas have been washed out of the league. It used to be only White Texans in the game, but now there are only 20 White Texans in the whole league because they can't compete with all the talent from across the country, not to mention that there are more talented Black players too because unlike before, now all of them participate.

And imagine some idiot said, "I knew there used to be 100 White Texans in this league and now there's only 20, but to me the talent level hasn't changed." :mindblown:

If the talent level hasn't changed, then why the hell can't White Americans still succeed like they used to? :sas1::sas2:

Well Mike was still able to dominate even when the league was at its blackest

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
White American All-stars in MJ's era:

Larry Bird (12-time)
Bill Laimbeer (4-time)
Jack Sikma (7-time)
Kevin McHale (7-time)
Tom Chambers (4-time)
Danny Ainge (1-time)
Mark Price (4-time)
John Stockton (10-time)
Chris Mullin (5-time)
Mark Eaton (1-time)
Jeff Hornacek (1-time)
Dan Majerle (3-time)
Christian Lattner (1-time)
Tom Gugliotta (1-time)

First foreign White player to make All-Star Game: Detlef Schrempf in 1993. The second one was Rik Smits in 1998. Until the 2000s there weren't really foreign stars like that.

White American All-stars in Wade's era:

Kyle Korver (1-time injury replacement only)
Chris Kamen (1-time injury replacement only)
David Lee (2 times, once injury replacement)
Kevin Love (3 times, once injury replacement)
Gordon Hayward (1 time)

There's only 8 total All-star appearances by White American players in Wade's entire era, and half of those were mediocre guys inserted as injury replacements. :dead:

Wade's era has stronger Black talent and far stronger foreign talent than MJ's era ever had. He played in the 1980s when White Americans were still 30% of the league, then the expansion-era 1990s where the new teams flooded the league with low-quality players before global foreign talent filled out the ranks. The combination of the increase in accessibility to the game for Black ballers and the increase in foreign talent raised the bar for an NBA player far above what it was in the 1980s and 1990s. And that's why White Americans aren't stars anymore.