How did DC end up Larry Holmes in pop culture while Marvel ended up so popular? (no troll post)

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Sad thing is, DC should've been putting movies out (other than Batman) like a motherfukker since the early '90s. Marvel had to deal with multiple studios at once coming out of bankruptcy. DC is OWNED by Warner Bros. and still couldn't get traction for years. :what:

DC has great TV shows (live-action and cartoons) and great animated movies though. Something Marvel hasn't figured out yet.

They've been putting out movies though. Watchmen was dope as fukk.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
They've been putting out movies though. Watchmen was dope as fukk.

Watchmen came after though. Why has Wonder Woman gone 40 years without relevancy? Same as Supes. They didn't even respect the Smallville show enough. They marketed as "No flights, no tights" as if they were ashamed of Clark/Superman. That show has the greatest rendition of Lex Luthor and it's not even acknowledged by WB.

They morphed Batman into JL and threw the Superman cartoon in the bushes. How many Superman animated movies are there? Doomsday? They were silent when Marvel was putting out TV Hulk movies and garbage like Generation X

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
I'm out of the comic book loop for a while now, and even more outta the loop on DC comics but gotdayum most of those name ring NO bells. At all. :patrice:

That is bullshyt.

Flash has an extremely popular show right now. Firestorm is also one of the main characters of the new league of Legends show, the only black main character too.

Death stroke, goul, zod are popular villians in those shows/movies.
Deathstroke and goul are both in the top 5 popular batman villians, and batman is hands down the most popular superhero of all time, with the most well known and popular villians.

Green lantern corps have always been well known.

Black Adam and captain marvel have always been popular characters and they have a movie in production, with the rock playing black adam.

To not know these characters is to say you don't know shyt about comics and your opinion shouldn't be taken seriously.

ThaGlow

All Star
Daps
That is bullshyt.

Flash has an extremely popular show right now. Firestorm is also one of the main characters of the new league of Legends show, the only black main character too.

Death stroke, goul, zod are popular villians in those shows/movies.
Deathstroke and goul are both in the top 5 popular batman villians, and batman is hands down the most popular superhero of all time, with the most well known and popular villians.

Green lantern corps have always been well known.

Black Adam and captain marvel have always been popular characters and they have a movie in production, with the rock playing black adam.

To not know these characters is to say you don't know shyt about comics and your opinion shouldn't be taken seriously.
Lol yeah i don't fukk with DC.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Lol yeah i don't fukk with DC.
You don't even have to fukk with dc to know those characters.

That's like a dc head saying he's never heard of wolverine, magneto, doc ock, venom, etc.

Green lantern is more well known than 90% of the Marvel universe.

If you don't know those characters then I'm gonna assume that you don't know shyt about marvel either, other than the characters featured in the movies.

I can respect the opinion of both dc heads and marvel heads, but a nikka that dont know shyt about shyt?

:camby:

ThaGlow

All Star
Daps
You don't even have to fukk with dc to know those characters.

That's like a dc head saying he's never heard of wolverine, magneto, doc ock, venom, etc.

Green lantern is more well known than 90% of the Marvel universe.

If you don't know those characters then I'm gonna assume that you don't know shyt about marvel either, other than the characters featured in the movies.

I can respect the opinion of both dc heads and marvel heads, but a nikka that dont know shyt about shyt?

:camby:
Lol gotdayum this guy turned up.

From the original dudes list, I only don't know of Firestorm, Black Adam, Damian Wayne, Snowflame, League of Legends too.

If that list is equal to Xmen and Spiderman......... yeah Ima need the receipts.

Break it down why someone who knows Wolverine, Magneto and Doc Ock MUST know Black Adam, Firestorm and Damian Wayne.

disgonbgud

I collected comics from 1990 to 2003. Sorry, never heard of those guys I mentioned above.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Lol gotdayum this guy turned up.

From the original dudes list, I only don't know of Firestorm, Black Adam, Damian Wayne, Snowflame, League of Legends too.

If that list is equal to Xmen and Spiderman......... yeah Ima need the receipts.

Break it down why someone who knows Wolverine, Magneto and Doc Ock MUST know Black Adam, Firestorm and Damian Wayne.

disgonbgud

I collected comics from 1990 to 2003. Sorry, never heard of those guys I mentioned above.
images

This is Damian wayne. I'm sure you've seen him somewhere before.
:stopitslime:

Firestorm is a main character on a hit show. You say you know comics but you aren't watching these shows or hear about them?

Most of that list is all batman so yes, I would say it's on the level of xmen.
Unless your saying that batman isn't on xmen's level of popularity.

Last edited:

Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La
Sad thing is, DC should've been putting movies out (other than Batman) like a motherfukker since the early '90s. Marvel had to deal with multiple studios at once coming out of bankruptcy. DC is OWNED by Warner Bros. and still couldn't get traction for years. :what:

DC has great TV shows (live-action and cartoons) and great animated movies though. Something Marvel hasn't figured out yet.
I think the thing is WB never really saw any real promise in superhero movies outside of Batman and Superman. That and they had multiple other franchises raking in cash so they probably never really felt the need to jump on their DC properties like that.

ThaGlow

All Star
Daps
images

This is Damian wayne. I'm sure you've seen him somewhere before.
:stopitslime:

Firestorm is a main character on a hit show. You say you know comics but you aren't watching these shows or hear about them?

Most of that list is all batman so yes, I would say it's on the level of xmen.
Unless your saying that batman isn't on xmen's level of popularity.
OK how many Robins are there? I was thinking dikk Grayson. Figured the Wayne might have to do with Bruce Wayne somehow.

I mentioned earlier in the thread but to clarify I only bought Marvel and Image/Wildstorm/Top Cow,etc.. and random smaller independents.

You're right though, I don't watch comic book shows at all. Outside of BAS and XAS.

I can at least concede that comic character popularity doesn't have to be originate from print anymore. Damian Wayne to you is familiar as Nate Grey for me. But yeah, I guess the criteria for popularity has to change with the times. I don't remember Iron Man comics pushing Marvel to the top in the 90s, but the movies have been lifesavers.

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
People always go :ohhh: when I point out that DC wants you to strive to be better people. Marvel wants their people flawed, and staying there. Problem is, going through the same problems over and over again just pisses people off. How many times do we hear of Peter Parker and his financial woes? How many times we hear of Wolverine and his memory loss? It would make for a great origin story, but to be going through that for 10 plus years after your superhero career began, just gets a Lil tiring. :ld:

Even Batman and his loss of his parents, he becomes something greater. He upholds justice for everyone else. He never makes excuses for his shortcomings. He understands, eventually, of having a team in Gotham (Bat family) and worldwide (Justice League). That's the improvements that he and other DC characters do as time goes on. I only get that sense from Captain America, Panther, and Cyclops and maybe even Thor from Marvel.

I read comics to escape and to be inspired to a certain extent. NOT TO BE REMINDED OF REALITY AND FEELING HOPELESS.

I'd been trying to find this post for a minute. This is why I've gravitated more towards DC over the years (not including Vertigo). DC, at its core, is about heroes striving to be the best versions of themselves, both in and out of the costume. The best DC stories (across all media) are the ones where we get to see the characters grow into the great heroes they'll become, even if they stumble and go about it the wrong way. Stories like

The episode of Static Shock where Static goes into the future and meets Terry McGinnis, who tells him he grew up to be one of the world's greatest heroes
Booster Gold having to humble himself and learn to be a hero for the right reasons, not just his own self-promotion
Pretty much the entirety of 52
Bart Allen being looked at as a screw up who never takes things seriously, so he reads every book in the San Francisco Public Library in an hour and uses his knowledge to help fight bad guys.
Kyle Rayner literally fighting his inner demon to prove that he belongs in the Justice League and deserves to be a Green Lantern.

That last one is a personal favorite of mine. "Green Lantern: Circle of Fire" is an absolutely beautiful story, and it perfectly embodies everything I love about DC Comics. It helps that it was written by Brian K. Vaughan, my favorite comics writer. In that comic, Adam Strange says a line that resonated with me: "Life isn't about deciding what one thing you already are... it's about discovering the endless things you can still become." That line is DC Comics at its finest.

All this being said, DC/Marvel, it's all the same shyt, and a lot of the "differences" between the two are just cosmetic. Just like how a lot of people who like Marvel may find Batman to be the only DC character they can identify with, Spider-Man is in a lot of ways just like a DC character, just in the Marvel universe.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Because Marvel had a game plan even since they was trying to get that original spiderman movie filmed with ralph macchio, they had a plan....

Even though they knew selling off their properties like the xmen, FF, spiderman, etc, to stave off from bankrupcy they had a plan... and then I guess when Disney started sniffing around that was all it took for Marvel to get their shyt together because movies would be on the way under Marvel Themselves... they came from a long way down....

And through it all they had a plan... :ufdup:

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
]
tell me what made batman tas so much better than superman.

it had the classic intro and it had the better score. beyond that i don't see what it had on superman. quality wise they were neck and neck.

Superman was a cookie cutter produced remake of batman tas.
That lacked any any innovation or slickness involved with batman tas.
Plus the inability to create another look for superman tas pigeonholed superman as inferior to batman for an entire Gen.
Plus why that Gen has a disconnect toward both bats and supes and the jla.
Who were drawn in that animation style as well.

Art Barr