How did DC end up Larry Holmes in pop culture while Marvel ended up so popular? (no troll post)

Mr. Manhattan

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
DC has generic superheroes outside of Batman, their Arc is not deep enough to maintain fan support

Superman was literally winning at every turn and never suffered any major loses
So they had to give him weaknesses, and social commentary about living amongst weaker beings and responsibility
But it was too late, Superman dosnt have major fan support

Green Lantern sucks

Aquaman is a mermaid

Its 2016, u should know this by now

Un-AmericanDreamer

Simp City
Daps
DC needs to do more by their non-white characters it's a shame what they did to Static and John. Vixen is cool, but I'm just not feeling Cyborg AT ALL.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Serious question for the comic book heads. I mostly read Marvel growing up, and besides Superman and Batman, I really didn't know many other DC comics at all, minus the Flash and Wonder Woman. It may or may not be factually true, but how did Marvel end up the "cool" comic book company and DC ended up the less cool one?

And I don't just mean with movies, because growing up in the 80's and 90's it still seemed like Marvel was considered "cooler" than DC. I was never a huge comic head but I just seem to remember way more Marvel stuff being around.

Was it the fact that everyone watched X-Men in the 90s? Batman was the one DC comic character that everyone liked. I guess it's not too much of a stretch to assume that he's the most popular DC character?
Short answer Disney is a better oiled machine than Warner brothers :yeshrug:

85 East

DJ D'eeznuts
Daps
Marvel capitalized off of the 90's. X-Men and Spider Men were popular cartoons, plus they had a FF cartoon that was decent. Comics were a but hipper and Marvel had super piff trading cards. This allowed them to get the ball moving and once Blade dropped, then Xmen, Spiderman, they got traction. DC always relied on Batman and Superman to carry them, but they kept dropping the ball with Superman.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
I'd been trying to find this post for a minute. This is why I've gravitated more towards DC over the years (not including Vertigo). DC, at its core, is about heroes striving to be the best versions of themselves, both in and out of the costume. The best DC stories (across all media) are the ones where we get to see the characters grow into the great heroes they'll become, even if they stumble and go about it the wrong way. Stories like

The episode of Static Shock where Static goes into the future and meets Terry McGinnis, who tells him he grew up to be one of the world's greatest heroes
Booster Gold having to humble himself and learn to be a hero for the right reasons, not just his own self-promotion
Pretty much the entirety of 52
Bart Allen being looked at as a screw up who never takes things seriously, so he reads every book in the San Francisco Public Library in an hour and uses his knowledge to help fight bad guys.
Kyle Rayner literally fighting his inner demon to prove that he belongs in the Justice League and deserves to be a Green Lantern.

That last one is a personal favorite of mine. "Green Lantern: Circle of Fire" is an absolutely beautiful story, and it perfectly embodies everything I love about DC Comics. It helps that it was written by Brian K. Vaughan, my favorite comics writer. In that comic, Adam Strange says a line that resonated with me: "Life isn't about deciding what one thing you already are... it's about discovering the endless things you can still become." That line is DC Comics at its finest.

All this being said, DC/Marvel, it's all the same shyt, and a lot of the "differences" between the two are just cosmetic. Just like how a lot of people who like Marvel may find Batman to be the only DC character they can identify with, Spider-Man is in a lot of ways just like a DC character, just in the Marvel universe.

Yeah, to me, if anything subconsciously tells me to be content with my shortcomings, I naturally rebel. That's why I couldn't get with Marvel outside of Captain America, Black Panther, and Thor. DC has more memorable characters to me.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
Marvel capitalized off of the 90's. X-Men and Spider Men were popular cartoons, plus they had a FF cartoon that was decent. Comics were a but hipper and Marvel had super piff trading cards. This allowed them to get the ball moving and once Blade dropped, then Xmen, Spiderman, they got traction. DC always relied on Batman and Superman to carry them, but they kept dropping the ball with Superman.

Not to mention they had a Hulk cartoon, Silversurfer, and Ironman. Add to the fact that the characters easily crossed over (their villains too) and they on many occasions did the team up thing where say Blade would guest on an ep or GhostRider or etc.

Growing up watching the OG Batman and Superman cartoons, they seemed to only work in they own world or city. It was rare and I stress RARE occasions where Superman would go over to Batman and vice verse, yet alone I dont EVER recall them showcasing Flash, GL, Aquaman, or Wonderwoman.

And I'm talking about these that aired in that same timeframe

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
Marvel roster is deeper and more interesting.

This is what I came to say. For DC once you get past the Justic League people, DC falls on a huge cliff.

Marvel is just way too deep. X-men, Avengers, Fantastic Four, Guardians, Infinity Wars, all the individuals runs for alot of the characters, etc...and i'm not even talking about the movies, just the comics. Like Marvel just came up with better shyt. I fully hate Spiderman, but people seem to like him:scust:...but you can still count him too.

And Marvel actually pushed more of their catalog into tv and movies back in like the 90's. DC seem like they had no clue.

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is what I came to say. For DC once you get past the Justic League people, DC falls on a huge cliff.

Marvel is just way too deep. X-men, Avengers, Fantastic Four, Guardians, Infinity Wars, all the individuals runs for alot of the characters, etc...and i'm not even talking about the movies, just the comics. Like Marvel just came up with better shyt. I fully hate Spiderman, but people seem to like him:scust:...but you can still count him too.

And Marvel actually pushed more of their catalog into tv and movies back in like the 90's. DC seem like they had no clue.

Fantastic Four :mjlol:

Y'all buggin. Green Arrow, Teen Titans/Young Justice, Birds of Prey, Green Lantern Corps, Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, Suicide Squad. DC has a very deep roster. They just fukked up by not pushing them enough.
It's a shame DC never got their shyt together on the movie side. A Booster Gold movie starring Paul Rudd would have been so lit. :ohlawd:

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
Not to mention they had a Hulk cartoon, Silversurfer, and Ironman. Add to the fact that the characters easily crossed over (their villains too) and they on many occasions did the team up thing where say Blade would guest on an ep or GhostRider or etc.

Growing up watching the OG Batman and Superman cartoons, they seemed to only work in they own world or city. It was rare and I stress RARE occasions where Superman would go over to Batman and vice verse, yet alone I dont EVER recall them showcasing Flash, GL, Aquaman, or Wonderwoman.

And I'm talking about these that aired in that same timeframe

Marvel even had that semi West Coast Avengers cartoon :deadmanny:

Daps
Dc is dominating when it comes to the tv shows tho.

Animated cartoons series/movies as well.

They only lacking in live action movies and even then they still got not only the best superhero film/trilogy, but one of the goat films with the dark knight.

Marvel stans doing too much. Delusions of grandeur.:mjlol:

Last edited:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Dc is dominating when it comes to the tv shows tho.

Animated cartoons series/movies as well.

They only lacking in live action movies and even then they still got not only the best superhero film/trilogy, but one of the goat films with the dark knight.

Marvel stans doing too much. Delusions of grandeur.:mjlol:
Dominating? Arrow just shyt itself according to the newspapers. And Supergirl had to downgrade networks.
You also forgot one medium actual comic books. Marvel runs that shyt.