How come Batman can't be black?

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Because there arent any black billionare with the influence and power of Bruce Wayne. They could make that nikka nightwing or some shyt.

Also, there arent alot of black people in Gotham so wouldnt a black Batman be a c00n?

:mjpls:

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Exactly, when I was a kid I projected myself as the dude on some "well dude is tanner than lois and jimmy, he must be mixed like me" :dead:

I never thought Lex or Two-Face was black, they just looked like white folks to me. I barely noticed the darker skin tones.

I will say back in the day though that characters like Jazz, Panthro, Piccolo, and Soundwave were black in my eyes.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
[/quote]Depends on what you mean by "Top tier".

He never had the mainstream appeal of Spider-Man, Captain America, Hulk, or the X-men but he was a known entity that appeared in cartoons, videogames, and on clothing. In the comics the character has ALWAYS been treated as one of Marvel premier characters. Iron Man has consistently had solo series running in addition to his cameo appearances and placement on the Avengers. And as another poster alluded to Civil War made Iron Man even more of an important character and that event happened well before the Iron Man film had even gone into production. Hell they were still drawing Tony Stark to look like Tom Cruise back then.[/quote]

When I say top tier I mean Spider-Man , X-Men, Captain America. I'm not trying to shyt on Iron Man but when it came to mainstream popularity he wasn't seeing them in terms of popularity. But Marvel took the chance and now the Marvel cinematic universe is HOT. Hot enough that a quality Black Panther movie would do numbers.

You don't even need a $150 million budget to shoot it. If you see what Neil Bloomkamp did with District 9 A BP move could be done for $80-100 million easy.

Daps
Reppin
thetown to global
Well let me explain my reasoning.

The reason I feel Superman couldn't work as anything but a white male isn't so much due to his origin. Superman is the most powerful being on earth and his face, his face is fully exposed, and the overwhelming majority of people on the planet look at him as a symbol of everything good in humanity.

If you change him to anything but a white person that particular aspect of the narrative is going to change dramatically.

Think about how fukking crazy people get when it comes to President Obama. Now imagine if Obama was an honest to god Alien that also had godlike powers.

Sure in the comics there (and even the new film) there are people who don't trust Superman and view him as a possible threat, but that shyt would be turned up to 11 if the character were black.

That's actually a pretty interesting perspective. Would make for pretty good non-canon what if stories tho haha.

I will say back in the day though that characters like Jazz, Panthro, Piccolo, and Soundwave were black in my eyes.

Yeah I saw Panthro and Piccolo as black too. I used to think Martian Manhunter was black as well, I'm not sure why :laugh:

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I disagree, if anything Superman should be easier to pull off because of the fact that he is an alien. If you were adapted by a family in Kansas and was raised with their values, it doesn't necessarily mean you have to be white as there are blacks, asians, etc in Kansas too lol. (all irrelevant anyway since he is an adopted child from another planet).

Just my opinion tho, when I was a kid I always looked at Superman as racially ambiguous in the animated series to project myself as the dude, even tho I know the character is sposed to be white - I just rationalize it as him being an alien therefore the race shyt doesn't count :laugh: guess that's why there are folks here so adamant to hold on to the childhood memory of Lex being black since he was drawn a specific way despite the fact that we all know he is white. :manny:
Might as well make Icon for all that. It'll be a much more interesting story with the inclusion of Rocket

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
oG9Jwff.jpg

Or even
tDXoLVI.jpg

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
When I say top tier I mean Spider-Man , X-Men, Captain America. I'm not trying to shyt on Iron Man but when it came to mainstream popularity he wasn't seeing them in terms of popularity. But Marvel took the chance and now the Marvel cinematic universe is HOT. Hot enough that a quality Black Panther movie would do numbers.

You don't even need a $150 million budget to shoot it. If you see what Neil Bloomkamp did with District 9 A BP move could be done for $80-100 million easy.[/quote]

Except that Marvel has gone on record claiming they're holding back on Black Panther because Wakanda would be "too difficult" to bring to the screen (which is bullshyt). Black Panther is definitely possible to bring to the screen (i'm been championing it more than just about anybody) but once you get past Panther, Cage, and MAYBE Miles Morales the number of Black Characters they have that could legit get solo films starts to get slim.

They had to completely re imagine Blade to bring him to the screen.

Storm and Bishop are too closely tied to the X-Men.

They already fukked up War Machine and made it a point to show he aint shyt compared to Iron Man.

Night Thrasher is too similar to Batman and too tied to the New Warriors.

Blue Marvel just not gonna happen LOL.

I'd love to see a Static film but studio execs (and DC comics) have very little respect for that character and the people who own it.

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I didn't say anything about characters being well known, I said most black characters don't have the stories to support a feature film. Most of the black characters owned by the major publishers are too closely integrated to superhero teams and have little to no development outside of those teams.
Independents, that's why I named Blackjack.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's actually a pretty interesting perspective. Would make for pretty good non-canon what if stories tho haha.

They've sort of done stories about it before...

I recommend reading American Way and Adam: Legend of the Blue Marvel.

Grant Morrison recently did a tale about a Black Superman who was also president of the United States, but most of the heroes on that world seemed to be black.

Yeah I saw Panthro and Piccolo as black too. I used to think Martian Manhunter was black as well, I'm not sure why :laugh:

Well the voice actors for Jazz, Panthro, and Martian Manhunter are all black.

The guy who does the voice of Martian Manhunter is actually the guy who started in the TV series M.A.N.T.I.S.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Independents, that's why I named Blackjack.

Never read Blackjack, I'll give it a shot.

But independent comics in general have a tough time getting made into films, it'll be that much harder for a black independent comic to get optioned for a film.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL

They already fukked up Batwing, expect to see that character thrown in the bushes soon.

The Black version of Azrael has already been thrown in the bushes and he was already just taking up the mantle of a previous white hero.

The Batman books have never had a long standing black character. Lucius Fox is a minor character they just trot out occasionally to show that black people exist in Gotham. Comic book fans tend to be racist as fukk and when Black characters are introduced they start hating before the shyt even comes out. They'll even spread lies about the shyt to convince other people not to buy the shyt.

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
And notice that none of those films have black leads nor are they part of the superhero genre.

I think you're grossly underestimating the glass ceiling that exists when it comes to comics and film.
Because nobody is pushing for it to happen. Robert Townsend was able to make a black superhero movie he created with Meteor Man.

And why does it have to be in the superhero genre? Some of the best stories in comics are in the non-superhero category, that so many comic fans pass up on in favor for Marvel and DC's stuff