How come Batman can't be black?

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's also very telling that some of the people in here are saying Bruce couldn't be black because he comes from "old money" as there aren't ANY Black people who come from old money.

it's true though :comeon: how many blacks come from "old money" like that? realistically it wouldn't be hard to narrow down who batman was if he were black.

"oh, there's a black vigilante fighting crime with all kinds of expensive tech? i bet its black bruce wayne, he owns wayne industries, yanno :patrice:"

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
what, he's the king of a reclusive european country with sought after natural resources? will they change his name to White Panther? seriously, i think batman should stay cac but you aren't doing your argument any favors with retarded logic. there's like a handful of black super heroes and you want to talk about white washing them, only white people think like this.
That's not the point. The point is that it COULD be changed. It would be stupid and convoluted but it could be changed.

YOU would'nt like it but it could be changed. That's the fukking point. Dudes want it one way but you want it that way SO BAD that you can't see that the same reasoning you're using can be flipped and used to change a character that actually is black in a drastic way

EXCEPT THAT BRUCE WAYNE IS A NEW ENGLAND, OLD MONEY, W.A.S.P., BROTHER!

Bruce is from a long line of escaped slaves who secretly hoarded away money from slave masters that they killed, then railroad and oil tyc00ns, and then fast forward to the "present" via various corporate takeovers, his family became the most powerful in Gotham, then his parents were murdered in Crime Alley, and he takes it upon himself to clean up Gotham.

How's that?

Berniewood Hogan

IT'S BERNIE SANDERS WITH A STEEL CHAIR!
Daps
Reppin
nWg
How's that?
IT MAKES FOR AN INTERESTING STORY, BUT IT'S A DRAMATIC DEPARTURE FROM THE ESTABLISHED HISTORY OF THE CHARACTER, BROTHER! KEVIN SMITH HAS A PODCAST CALLED FATMAN ON BATMAN AND HE INTERVIEWED DIEDRICH BADER, WHO VOICED BATMAN IN BATMAN: THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD, DUDE! IN DISCUSSING THE CHARACTER, BADER POINTED OUT THAT BRUCE IS A VERY WASPY KIND OF GUY, MEAN GENE!

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
IT MAKES FOR AN INTERESTING STORY, BUT IT'S A DRAMATIC DEPARTURE FROM THE ESTABLISHED HISTORY OF THE CHARACTER, BROTHER! KEVIN SMITH HAS A PODCAST CALLED FATMAN ON BATMAN AND HE INTERVIEWED DIEDRICH BADER, WHO VOICED BATMAN IN BATMAN: THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD, DUDE! IN DISCUSSING THE CHARACTER, BADER POINTED OUT THAT BRUCE IS A VERY WASPY KIND OF GUY, MEAN GENE!
But it's fiction? It can be changed no?? :mjpls:

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
it's true though :comeon: how many blacks come from "old money" like that? realistically it wouldn't be hard to narrow down who batman was if he were black.

"oh, there's a black vigilante fighting crime with all kinds of expensive tech? i bet its black bruce wayne, he owns wayne industries, yanno :patrice:"

First of all I hate when people try talking about "realism" when it comes to comic book characters.

Secondly, no there aren't a TON of black folks who come from old money but there are more than some people seem to realize.

And secondly all of those "How could they not put that two and two together arguments" don't mean shyt because all that shyt equally applies to the current Bruce Wayne. Yall acting like his Whiteness adds to his secret identity in some significant way and that's bullshyt.

And keep in mind we talking about the same type of people that can't tell that Clark Kent and Superman are the same person because he wears glasses. :stopitslime:

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
White people wouldn't pay for it.

Google Idris Elba as James Bond and witness the hissy fits they threw. And that was just a rumor

Now look at how they acted when they casted a little black girl for The Hunger Games.

http://jezebel.com/5896408/racist-hunger-games-fans-dont-care-how-much-money-the-movie-made

They're pathetic creatures that think they're entitled to everything.

Those pussies always throw hissy fits. As long as the film is good quality they'll shut the fukk up though.

Funny though how barely anybody raised any issues with Namoi Harris being cast as Moneypenny....

Berniewood Hogan

IT'S BERNIE SANDERS WITH A STEEL CHAIR!
Daps
Reppin
nWg
But it's fiction? It can be changed no??
CERTAINLY, BROTHER! BUT IT'S ALSO A VALUABLE INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY, DUDE! DO YOU THINK CHANGING BATMAN TO A BLACK MAN WOULD INCREASE OR DECREASE DC COMICS' INCOME, MEAN GENE? THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE, LIKE SOME VANILLA MIDGET LIKES TO SAY, BROTHER!

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
That's not the point.
i get your point, and i countered with a better point.

and continue my point, i wouldn't like white washing black heros because blacks don't have many mainstream heroes. i can at least understand why blacks cling to the idea of wanting to black wash white characters, or want to believe harvey dent and lex luthor are black. blacks get starved out of a lot of industries like gaming and comics, we want to see a reflection of ourselves in these big roles.

fact is DUDES (kw: white people) have had it one way for so long, that you can't even imagine it another way. they ultimately control black panther and batman just the same at the end of the day.

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
First of all I hate when people try talking about "realism" when it comes to comic book characters.

Secondly, no there aren't a TON of black folks who come from old money but there are more than some people seem to realize.

And secondly all of those "How could they not put that two and two together arguments" don't mean shyt because all that shyt equally applies to the current Bruce Wayne. Yall acting like his Whiteness adds to his secret identity in some significant way and that's bullshyt.

And keep in mind we talking about the same type of people that can't tell that Clark Kent and Superman are the same person because he wears glasses. :stopitslime:

there are people who put together bruce wayne being batman just off the wealth and resources connected to him. it would just be that much easier if he were black. i don't get why you fighting so hard for it. bruce wayne is white, thats what was intended when they designed his character of privilege. instead of trynna brow beat white people into changing their shyt up to fit your comforts, the goal should ultimately be to support our own

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
there are people who put together bruce wayne being batman just off the wealth and resources connected to him. it would just be that much easier if he were black. i don't get why you fighting so hard for it. bruce wayne is white, thats what was intended when they designed his character of privilege. instead of trynna brow beat white people into changing their shyt up to fit your comforts, the goal should ultimately be to support our own

I already said earlier that I don't care either way what Bruce Wayne's race is, I'm just saying it's bullshyt to say he absolutely CAN'T be anything but white because it would alter the character in some significant way.

and that includes keeping his secret Identity, him being black doesn't make his secret Identity any more difficult to discover. It's especially silly to argue that point considering all the Batman Inc stuff.

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I already said earlier that I don't care either way what Bruce Wayne's race is, I'm just saying it's bullshyt to say he absolutely CAN'T be anything but white because it would alter the character in some significant way.

i would have a fundamental flaw with black batman if he spent all his time worried about white villains instead of helping fix the economic disparity between races.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i would have a fundamental flaw with black batman if he spent all his time worried about white villains instead of helping fix the economic disparity between races.

:what:

This shyt doesn't even make sense. The current Bruce Wayne doesn't even JUST fight crime, he has all kinds of programs set up end poverty, bring in job, educate people, and give ex cons a shot at going straight after prison.

So you mean to tell me that just because Bruce Wayne is black all the other shyt he does is suddenly gonna stop too?