How can you justify saying Messi is better than Ronaldo?

Patrick Kane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Conversation is over. Messi is the GOAT. With or without this World Cup

Messi doing more as they both age, proving he is a more well-rounded and dynamic offensive player. As soon as Ronaldo lost his explosiveness, his game completely diminished. He just isn't as technically skilled as Messi and dominated through sheer physicality and determination to score goals - which he is the GOAT at but in terms of overall? It has to be Messi now.

beejus

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Red, White, & Stonewashed Blue since '94

Messi doing more as they both age, proving he is a more well-rounded and dynamic offensive player. As soon as Ronaldo lost his explosiveness, his game completely diminished. He just isn't as technically skilled as Messi and dominated through sheer physicality and determination to score goals - which he is the GOAT at but in terms of overall? It has to be Messi now.

The goal difference between these two isn't that much. Messi is quickly shrinking that total as he's still scoring goals and Ronaldo isn't. We'll see if Ronaldo goes to Saudi Arabia and starts banging in goals again.

Joe Sixpack

Build and Destroy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rotten Apple

How is he better than Pele?

Patrick Kane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The goal difference between these two isn't that much. Messi is quickly shrinking that total as he's still scoring goals and Ronaldo isn't. We'll see if Ronaldo goes to Saudi Arabia and starts banging in goals again.

And that's kind of what has to end the conversation.... Messi was banging in just as many goals and has almost double the assists

It's a shame seeing Ronaldo's ego ruin the last bits of what has been an absolutely legendary career. If he was willing to adjust his game and play a more defined role within a system given his age, he'd still be elite but he wants to be the "man" and can't face the fact that he no longer is.

beejus

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Red, White, & Stonewashed Blue since '94
How is he better than Pele?

He might not be better, but it's similar to saying Jordan is better than Bill Russell. Both are fantastic but played in such different eras it is hard to compare. Plus I have my doubts on the goal totals for Pele. Though I know he was phenomenal.

Patrick Kane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He might not be better, but it's similar to saying Jordan is better than Bill Russell. Both are fantastic but played in such different eras it is hard to compare. Plus I have my doubts on the goal totals for Pele. Though I know he was phenomenal.

Basically this. Pele is no doubt one of the GOATs but like you said, in the vein of Wilt and Bill as pioneering GOATs of the game who paved the way for the modern day legends. Plus Pele played most of his career at his peak in Brazil. I'm sure competition was just as fierce and that league was filled with legends at the time but Messi literally plays against the best players from all corners of the earth due to soccer being more international, which IMO raises the level of competition.

Joe Sixpack

Build and Destroy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rotten Apple
Basically this. Pele is no doubt one of the GOATs but like you said, in the vein of Wilt and Bill as pioneering GOATs of the game who paved the way for the modern day legends. Plus Pele played most of his career at his peak in Brazil. I'm sure competition was just as fierce and that league was filled with legends at the time but Messi literally plays against the best players from all corners of the earth due to soccer being more international, which IMO raises the level of competition.
So Pele not really scoring over 1,200 goals is really a thing?

I read that Diego Maradona said to him who did you score those goals against your son in your backyard?

:mjlol:

That shyt was wild disrespectful

Ill-Yaz

FA Cup winning fan
Daps
Reppin
NULL

No way

He needs to win the world cup to win the debate

WaveGang

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Pele won the World Cup 3 times against the best players from the four corners of the earth. Not once, 3 times

What you’re saying makes zero sense