How can Cyborg reach the modern prominence of BP?

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
He can't. Black Panther has a legacy behind him that makes him a staple of comic book history. Cyborg is a cool character but when people think of prominent black super hero's you usually hear Black Panther, Storm and Cage mentioned. Static probably would come b4 Cyborg in a lot of people's minds also.
It's a shame too, because Cyborg deserves to be mentioned with the aforementioned characters. He has cool powers, a compelling origin story, and a great look. He just needs a good writer.

Rhapture

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
It's a shame too, because Cyborg deserves to be mentioned with the aforementioned characters. He has cool powers, a compelling origin story, and a great look. He just needs a good writer.
I think if they play up his connection with the Fourth World/New God's franchise then it'll help alot. Him and Beast Boy were my favorite characters on Teen Titans. I mean they made bruh part Mother box. Just look up all the shyt a Mother box can do. He has potential to be a heavy hitter.

Perfectson

Banned
Daps
Cyborg is a cool concept, but a black hero that's half machine kinda dehumanizes the character. Now a movie that delves into that would kinda cool in a drama sort of way but probably wouldn't appeal to casual comic book readers. Like a black man, sports jock or whatever, losing his humanity and accepting himself has a machine something not fully human would be a cool parallel with the black struggle in society of always being see less than human. I dunno it's a concept if done right could be really cool but could fall flat on its face.

Perfectson

Banned
Daps
Cyborg isn’t that type of character. For one he works best in a group setting because he thrives when there’s someone to bounce off of.

Two he doesn’t have the African lineage to tap into. He’s more sci-fi and comedy.

C, victor stone is just a different person and a weirder story to get into. There’s drama there and a lot of stuff to pull from definitely because it’s the Frankenstein story. Plus he’s got this complex relationship with his dad and his mom isn’t around and yeah it’s a lot of shyt you can do with that. But a story about a half man half robot who keeps half his face covered and has daddy issues isn’t going to be the big audience movie, at least not in my mind. It can be a really good movie but it’s not an event film like black panther. Even static can’t be an event film. Again cyborg works best as part of a group. Teen titans, justice league is where he should be.

There are a lot more Randy and Titos in the world than there are Michaels.

A jon Stewart green lantern movie is the closest you’d get to that from dc. It’s for the space opera aspects, jon doesn’t cover his face up, he’s one of the most powerful people in the galaxy, he’s one of the most strong willed, it has a lore and a mysticism to it, it’s new worlds and adventures and he’s an army man so there’s a war aspect to it as well

you crazy as hell.

Static (not STatic Shock) would be and could be a black spiderman

have you even read Static comics (Milestone)??

tumblr_nvtryyvU0K1qbgo38o1_1280.jpg

You could do a whole 1 hour on a regular kid in the hood going to school trying to make end meets and get out...then the disaster happened and how he got his powers and him coping with that , learning his powers, and going against a bully who also gained powers.

It won't be uplifting like BP, but it would tap into the realism of black america more.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
you crazy as hell.

Static (not STatic Shock) would be and could be a black spiderman

have you even read Static comics (Milestone)??

tumblr_nvtryyvU0K1qbgo38o1_1280.jpg

You could do a whole 1 hour on a regular kid in the hood going to school trying to make end meets and get out...then the disaster happened and how he got his powers and him coping with that , learning his powers, and going against a bully who also gained powers.

It won't be uplifting like BP, but it would tap into the realism of black america more.

That doesn't mean it would be an event film. Like someone said earlier, black panther and Wonder Woman are always going to be the bigger deals, partially because they were first and their cultural importance. Everyone else, regardless of quality, will never be at that level.

The movie being good or having the capability to be good isn't the issue. It's whether it has the ability to have a huge cultural impact.

Perfectson

Banned
Daps
That doesn't mean it would be an event film. Like someone said earlier, black panther and Wonder Woman are always going to be the bigger deals, partially because they were first and their cultural importance. Everyone else, regardless of quality, will never be at that level.

The movie being good or having the capability to be good isn't the issue. It's whether it has the ability to have a huge cultural impact.

what are you defining has "cultural impact" - ticket sales?

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
what are you defining has "cultural impact" - ticket sales?

Somewhat. Like a huge movie. Avengers is a huge movie. Dark knight is a huge movie. Wonder Woman. Those type of flicks where they come around the world stops to talk about them and they shift the movies around them.

Dark knight did that. Avengers did that. Wonder Woman may do that and black panther may do that as well. But those two movies have become talking points for different people and become symbols of different movements.

A cultural impact, for me, is just one that goes beyond ticket sales. It’s hit movies that become bigger due to what they mean for the genre or the creators and the fans

The Villain

Superstar
Daps
He cant. Cyborg is trash. I guess DC can't/doesn't want to push Static because of Milestone? :patrice:

Perfectson

Banned
Daps
He cant. Cyborg is trash. I guess DC can't/doesn't want to push Static because of Milestone? :patrice:

They should embrace milestone , this would make it even better . A comic character crafted by an all minority staff, with a decent budget behind it and with a realism and aunthenticity you're not going to have with any other black characters .

You add in the urban element and give it a coming of age feel , I think would be crazy .