Houston TX thread

Supper

All Star
Daps
What happens when you 'move out the city' to escape crime.

Screenshot-2022-10-31-at-09-49-28-Man-killed-after-suspect-fires-into-crowd-of-people-watching-women.png

Screenshot-2022-10-31-at-10-03-40-Tracking-crime-and-safety-in-your-neighborhood.png

Tell me again how it's 'safer' in the outskirts?:jbhmm: Cuz, from where I'm standing...................

Last edited:

Supper

All Star
Daps
bruh, that area of joel wheaton road doesn't look like a nice neighborhood at all

And it's getting more gritty by the year apparently. More murders than 5th ward this year(which saw a sharp drop in murders thus far).

You saying it's worse looking than the nickel? Going off aesthetics alone ain't smart at all. Black folk buying into and settling down in places that are seeing a decrease in investment(SOME, not all, of these outskirts/suburbs) vs places seeing an increase in investment(a lot of these inner city historically black 'hoods) is ass backwards too.

All that's gone do is make the problems you thought were in the inner city follow you out there, except it'll be way worse cuz you got far less amenities out there.

Last edited:

Supper

All Star
Daps
If you looking for a home in a majority black or sizable black suburb, then look into Mo City, Fresno, Pearland area.

I'll cosign the mo as an actual GOOD burb for black folks to move to.

We are the plurarity there and have lower poverty and HIGHER HS graduation rates than (anglo)whites and hispanics there.

Not the case for somewhere like Humble that a lot of black folk move to which hispanics outnumber us and we have HIGHER poverty rates than (anglo)whites and hispanics.

But, nikkas usually don't even try to do basic analysis like that and just swallow the most lazy simplistic ass narratives like inner city = bad, burbs = movin on up(into some 'new' trenches) or antiquated old looking = bad, polished new looking = good, when the flow of capital and investment tells a different story.

Last edited:

Kiyoshi-Dono

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Petty Vandross.. fukk Yall
That’s Hwy 6 area:skip:
Hwy 6 ain’t been safe since late 05:skip:
If you go on the other side you are approaching Mission Bend(Westheimer pkwy toll/Alief Clodine) and they were doing kick doors all summer of 13:skip:
I mean the heart of Alief is in the opposite direction and Alief ain’t never been safe to contrary belief :skip:
Even before I left my home in Sierra Plantation
It was starting to get active:francis:
Folks were getting followed home
And folks was getting pulled up on around Sugar Land Town Center
But let’s be fair
You can get got anywhere/anytime in Houston
This ain’t 1996 where you knew what areas to stay out of:mjpls:
My daughter thought I was lying about U of H campus and the trey because of how nice it is now:mjpls:
but they still getting got even with gentrification and UH being a tier one school:francis:

Supper

All Star
Daps
I'll cosign the mo as an actual GOOD burb for black folks to move to.

We are the plurarity there and have lower poverty and HIGHER HS graduation rates than (anglo)whites and hispanics there.

Not the case for somewhere like Humble that a lot of black folk move to which hispanics outnumber us and we have HIGHER poverty rates than (anglo)whites and hispanics.

But, nikkas usually don't even try to do basic analysis like that and just swallow the most lazy simplistic ass narratives like inner city = bad, burbs = movin on up(into some 'new' trenches) or antiquated old looking = bad, polished new looking = good, when the flow of capital and investment tells a different story.

Links to list of new developments eye'd for '22 and '23 respectively.

Part of following the flow of capital and making smart moves on where to settle and invest in houston is being able to anticipate what areas are getting big investments in the future by keeping an eye on major developments to come in the region. These developments lead to greater tax revenue which goes towards public amenities, like roads, schools, parks, libraries, clinics etc and increase in property value, as well as the tons of new commercial office and retail space creates many new entrepreneurship and job opportunities for the community, especially if there's a community benefits agreement with the developer(hence why engaging in local politics/associations is a must).

From those lists I'm seeing a WHOLE LOT of inner loop third ward, fifth ward, second ward, montrose area developement. Memorial city mall getting a big expansion. Also, also a few in some burbs/outskirts like katy, manvel and mo city.

Not seeing any in a lot of these other random burbs like pearland, cypress, spring, humble etc y'all be hyping up as the places for black people be on here. :jbhmm:

By all means feel free to tell why y'all believe these are OBJECTIVELY(crime, cost, schools, amenities, black pop, black political representation, # of black biz etc) good places for black folk to move in the Htine area. And it bet not be some shyt like "nice new lookin hizes"(just the fact y'all even think them cookie cutter ass Levitt style burb houses are attactive says a lot about'cha taste lol).

Last edited:

Supper

All Star
Daps
Part of following the flow of capital and making smart moves on where to settle and invest in houston is being able to anticipate what areas are getting big investments in the future by keeping an eye on major developments to come in the region. These developments lead to greater tax revenue which goes towards public amenities, like roads, schools, parks, libraries, clinics etc and increase in property value, as well as job and entrepreneurship opportunities(especially if there's a community benefits agreement with the developer- hence why engaging in local politics/associations is a must).

From those lists I'm seeing a WHOLE LOT of inner loop third ward, fifth ward, second ward, montrose area developement. Memorial city mall getting a big expansion. Also, also a few in some burbs/outskirts like katy, manvel and mo city.

So, lets talk fifth ward as an up and coming area. Lots of new development and changes already happening and much more coming that way.

Many black investors and community members already took note of it and started their own projects.

IYO art house opened up there last year.

Chris Senegal got a lot projects there over the past few years plus a BIG luxury apartment complex coming in the area.

Also, as mentioned in the vid there's a high performance charter school coming the area.

Lotta private and government investment is going into the schools for underprivileged students there.

The village program has seen much success.

50 cent got the gunity foundation to create a business incubator program for kids at wheatley, worthing and kashmere.

And as a result the whole HISD, but especially wheatley high has seen massive improvement it past few years in it's performance.

And guess what? The number of murders in the 5th ward area has gone down dramatically in the last year. It's murder rate is currently slightly under the average for the city as a whole.

Screenshot-2022-11-03-at-18-53-48-Tracking-crime-and-safety-in-your-neighborhood.png

So, I wonder why don't the nickel get any love when we talk about where the go to spots for black folk to move to in the city, especially compared to some of them bland ass economically stagnant burbs some of y'all advertise so much? :mjpls:

Last edited:

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
That’s Hwy 6 area:skip:
Hwy 6 ain’t been safe since late 05:skip:
If you go on the other side you are approaching Mission Bend(Westheimer pkwy toll/Alief Clodine) and they were doing kick doors all summer of 13:skip:
I mean the heart of Alief is in the opposite direction and Alief ain’t never been safe to contrary belief :skip:
Even before I left my home in Sierra Plantation
It was starting to get active:francis:
Folks were getting followed home
And folks was getting pulled up on around Sugar Land Town Center
But let’s be fair
You can get got anywhere/anytime in Houston
This ain’t 1996 where you knew what areas to stay out of:mjpls:
My daughter thought I was lying about U of H campus and the trey because of how nice it is now:mjpls:
but they still getting got even with gentrification and UH being a tier one school:francis:
Still having trouble affording rent?

AStrangeName

Member of Snitch Syndication
Daps
So, lets talk fifth ward as an up and coming area. Lots of new development and changes already happening and much more coming that way.

Many black investors and community members already took note of it and started their own projects.

IYO art house opened up there last year.

Chris Senegal got a lot projects there over the past few years plus a BIG luxury apartment complex coming in the area.

Also, as mentioned in the vid there's a high performance charter school coming the area.

Lotta private and government investment is going into the schools for underprivileged students there.

The village program has seen much success.

50 cent got the gunity foundation to create a business incubator program for kids at wheatley, worthing and kashmere.

And as a result the whole HISD, but especially wheatley high has seen massive improvement it past few years in it's performance.

And guess what? The number of murders in the 5th ward area has gone down dramatically in the last year. It's murder rate is currently slightly under the average for the city as a whole.

Screenshot-2022-11-03-at-18-53-48-Tracking-crime-and-safety-in-your-neighborhood.png

So, I wonder why don't the nickel get any love when we talk about where the go to spots for black folk to move to in the city, especially compared to some of them bland ass economically stagnant burbs some of y'all advertise so much? :mjpls:

You pretty much answer your question, with the Black community taking matter into their own hands and turning around their neighborhood themselves, it doesn't get any fanfare. It's all fun and games, until the community start turning third ward and the surrounding areas around, then you gonna hear complaints about it for :mjpls: reasons.

Supper

All Star
Daps
@AStrangeName Fashisho The Tre and the nickel are definitely up and coming rapidly changing neighborhoods that are both good for forward thinking black american folk to move to.

They both have their pros and cons. The nick needs to develop the thriving black business class of the tre. And the tre needs to the follow the model in the nick of effective grassroots community activism(what I attribute to the declining murder rate in the nick).

Them and other inner city neighborhoods definitely have their flaws and draw backs, but what I don't understand is how these cats who fly the flag for burb living, can criticize these neighborhood based on shyt like crime and bad schools when:

Crime is often just as bad if not worse in the burbs/outskirts

• Humble routinely makes the list of the most dangerous cities in TX.
  • That cypress-1960 area was ranked as the most dangerous neighborhood in harris county last year.

HISD ain't bad
  • It has a B, above average, rank in the TEA. same or better than most of the other houston area school districts. Only three rank an A(cy-fair, katy, tomball). But when you look at stats broken down by RACE in those outskirt districts it's usually the black students that perform the worst on all metrics whereas in HISD black students actually graduate at above average rates more than (anglo)white and hispanics. Again there's a lot more black focused grassroots community programs in the inner city that they have access to that most burbs just don't offer.
People gotta realize these issues have more to do with institutional racism, poverty, inequality, lack of resources and opporunity more so than inner city vs burbs. It just so happens that most impoverished black folk in the houston area are in the inner city. If poor black houstonians continue to move to the outskirts in mass cuz of gentrification you ain't gonna see their situation improve one bit, but instead you gonna see the same exact issues except WORSE cuz the outskirts don't offer anywhere near the same amount of amenities, economic resources, and established black grassroots community network of the inner city, so the potential for upward mobility is far steeper.

Last edited:

Supper

All Star
Daps
It has a B, above average, rank in the TEA. same or better than most of the other houston area school districts. Only a three rank an A(cy-fair, katy, tomball). But when you look at stats broken down by RACE in those outskirt districts it's usually the black students that perform the worst on all metrics whereas in HISD black students actually graduate at above average rates more than (anglo)white and hispanics. Again there's a lot more black focused grassroots community programs in the inner city that they have access to that most burbs just don't offer.

The exception here being Fort Bend where black students have an above average graduation rate beating out (anglo)white and hispanics.

AStrangeName

Member of Snitch Syndication
Daps
@AStrangeName Fashisho The Tre and the nickel are definitely up and coming rapidly changing neighborhoods that are both good for forward thinking black american folk to move to.

The both have their pros and cons. The nick needs to develop the thriving black business class of the tre. And the tre needs to the follow the model in the nick of effective grassroots community activism(what I attribute to the declining murder rate in the nick).

Them and other inner city neighborhoods definitely have their flaws and draw backs, but what I don't understand is how these cats who fly the flag for burb living, can criticize these neighborhood based on shyt like crime and bad schools when:

Crime is often just as bad if not worse in the burbs/outskirts

• Humble routinely makes the list of the most dangerous cities in TX.
  • That cypress-1960 area was ranked as the most dangerous neighborhood in harris county last year.

HISD ain't bad
  • It has a B, above average, rank in the TEA. same or better than most of the other houston area school districts. Only a three rank an A(cy-fair, katy, tomball). But when you look at stats broken down by RACE in those outskirt districts it's usually the black students that perform the worst on all metrics whereas in HISD black students actually graduate at above average rates more than (anglo)white and hispanics. Again there's a lot more black focused grassroots community programs in the inner city that they have access to that most burbs just don't offer.
People gotta realize these issues have more to do with institutional racism, poverty, inequality, lack of resources and opporunity more so than inner city vs burbs. It just so happens that happens that most impoverished black folk in the houston area are in the inner city. If poor black houstonians continue to move to the outskirts in mass cuz of gentrification you ain't gonna see their situation improve one bit, but instead you gonna see the same exact issues except WORSE cuz the outskirts don't offer anywhere near the same amount of amenities, economic resources, and established black grassroots community network of the inner city, so the potential for upward mobility is far steeper.
That part doesn't get talked about enough on the biggest issue with gentrification, gone are the days where white/non black people push black people into the suburbs as they move into the city and repeat the cycle to go back into the suburbs, they trying to push black people out of the city and keep the suburbs for themselves, only leaving the outskirts the only option. History repeats itself from those who don't learn from it, but it will be different from the one before.

Also, I grew up in Fort Bend, so I can only speak on what I know with FBISD, not so much with HISD seeing as most of the posters itt is from Harris County.