House passes Crown Act banning discrimination against Black hairstyles

bnew

Veteran
Daps
many posters have spoken on their experience before that this legislation would have prevented.

Cacs made me cut my hair n shave my face for a job

I was broke at the time

My hair was down to the middle of my back. It took forever to grow. Cut it for a job, grew it back out, cut it for another job, grew it back out, cut it again.

From my experience, when you are looking for a job and doing interviews, you’ll have better luck with short hair than long hair. However, once you’ve been there a while and have proven your worth, you can grow it out again, if you want.

However, I work in a very conservative industry now though, and I definitely would not have got this job if I had long hair at the interview, or ever really. No guys have long hair at my job, and I work around a lot of people.

I think it really depends on the industry, location, and culture. Like you can have extremely long hair and dress any way you’d like in Silicon Valley, but if you work in corporate at an oil and gas company in Texas, that shyt isn’t gonna fly.

You know damn well why...

Them crackas trip on us and our hair.

I couldnt get a Job at a youth center unless i cut my Cornrows...

:stopitslime:

They’re starting to have a problem with my Afro at my new job.
How did white people convince us that our natural hairstyles were unprofessional and immature?

skylove4

Veteran
Daps
It's not the government's business to legislate shyt like this.
I can understand it being done based on the texture of one's hair but to also include "style" is too broad.
What's going to end up happening is even less black folks being hired in these places. These companies will just write nikkas off completely.
Horrible take:francis: it’s amazing the lengths posters like you go through to agree with white supremacy on a site full of black people, while pretending not to support white supremacy. It’s honestly mind blowing the commitment y’all display here:mjpls:

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Horrible take:francis: it’s amazing the lengths posters like you go through to agree with white supremacy on a site full of black people, while pretending not to support white supremacy. It’s honestly mind blowing the commitment y’all display here:mjpls:

TLRepublicans are c00ns. What else is new? :coffee:

Anyone having a problem with black people hairstyles in 2022, can go back to Russia with their old world mentality

Renegade47

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
North South East West
I’m sure you’re quite happy about this.

If passed by the Senate and signed into law, that paves the way for you to sue for hairline discrimination. You walk into a job interview and the interviewer gives the HR recruiter a thumbs down under the table as soon as they see your hairline. Good thing you moved to a socially liberal city where they have tolerance for the hairline challenged.
:laff:

Yaboysix

That nikka
Daps
Reppin
Tampa Florida

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps
Good stuff. Next law should be facial hair and beards for Black men. Especially because of medical reasons.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Banning hair textures is equivalent to banning skin tones - overt if not extreme racism. I can’t believe Black women were FORCED to alter their natural hair texture or wear weaves.

It’s about time.

9 year old thread

WATCH: Woman Must Cut Her Dreadlocks To Keep Her Job

Company Policy Requires Missouri Woman To Cut Her Dreadlocks To Keep Her Job
Oct 24, 2013

Following reports of a Baltimore woman fired from her job because of her blonde highlights, another black woman is facing discrimination because of the way she chooses to wear her hair.

Ashley Davis, a 24-year-old from St. Peters, Mo., said a change in her company's policy now requires her to cut off her dreadlocks.

“I've only been there for two months, and they came up with a policy. I feel like it's degrading,” she said.

According to Fox 2 St. Louis, the policy was implemented on September 21st-- a few weeks after Davis began working there. The policy states,"dreadlocks, braids, mohawks, mullets and other hairstyles are against company guidelines."

Davis tells the local Fox station she had the dreadlocks when they hired her and she's been growing her locks for 10 years. To her, they're apart of her culture and everyone in her family wears them. But, she's the only one in her office that wears the hairstyle.

The station reached out to Davis' employer, where she works as a secretary, who responded with the following statement:

“Tower Loan does not comment on individual personnel matters. However, Tower has an appearance policy that is clearly defined in its training manual. Tower believes a professional appearance is necessary for the success of the company.”

Davis reportedly has until Friday to make the change.

“My dreads, I love them and I’m going to keep them. My hair is a part of me and it makes me the professional and bubbly person I am,” she said. Davis joins the many women who have faced discrimination because of their hair over the past year. Along with the Baltimore woman who claims she was fired for her blonde highlights, 7-year-old Tiana Parker was forcedto change schools because of her school's ban on dreadlocks. An Ohio charter school attempted to ban"afro-puffs and small twisted braids,"and meteorologist Rhonda Lee was fired from her TV stationafter defending her choice to wear her natural hair on air.
Cut your dreads or loose your job brehettes