House passes Crown Act banning discrimination against Black hairstyles

TrifeGod

Chasing The Dragon
Daps
Reppin
Above The Clouds
Sent this link to a relative because he went through this bullshyt in the 70s where they offered him a job if he cut his hair….he did not get the job

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This is some non-tangible bullshyt, Black Women need financial compensation in the form of money....A White Woman can wear a Black Hairstyles like Braids, Locks, and etc., this is a trick bag

White people been coming to the office with spiked pink hair for decades. I personally don't care about the legislation because it doesn't benefit me. However, I know of some black women who get pressure about their hairstyle at the corporate level, so I know they're happy.

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
It's not the government's business to legislate shyt like this.
I can understand it being done based on the texture of one's hair but to also include "style" is too broad.
What's going to end up happening is even less black folks being hired in these places. These companies will just write nikkas off completely.
full

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
As if businesses are going to be sitting ducks. The truth is that some hairstyles are not appropriate for certain businesses.
I get the law about texture but the problematic part is about styles.
Personally i think bolded is entirely subjective, there is no correct or incorrect hairstyle.
but lets say you are right, for example a job like the army has hair restrictions. In those cases they require a specific uniform style for everyone. They don't ban certain hairstyles, they ban all of them.
So in those cases it's easier to say it's non discriminatory.

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit

Dwayne_Taylor

Superstar
Daps
We need to be able to groom ourselves in ways that make sense for our hair types. But these office standards are based on the idea that works for white people should work for everybody else.

they really need to stop using the word "style" that indicates choice.

BiggWebb79

You Don't Have The Answers...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elm City
:salute:The House have pass a lot of things that benefit and help Black people.

• Dap
Reactions: TEH